Writer Seeking Help.

Started by
7 comments, last by Marmin 19 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I have come up with a great concept for a role-playing game that I could see being played on the GBA Nintendo system. The scripts for characters speech has not been written yet but I have begun working on the chapters, the story will be told in segments. I'm not going to post my entire idea publicly because I don't feel comfortable sharing them in the open yet. I would love to talk to people through e-mails or on MSN messanger if they are interested in working on the game. If you have a development team working with the GBA system or know of people that are please let me know. You won't be dissapointed with the idea. This is my first attempt to reach out to people in the game development community so I may be going about it wrong. If you have any tips or places that I should look into please inform me. My contact is DJ_Wee_Man@hotmail.com Thank you, Jeremy Benson Basic idea ******************************************************************************** Remember * The heros have gone through the time loop many times, but as the player plays the game they un-ravel the hideous secret of it all and find a way to destroy Dominius and escape their ever re-winding destiny *The Magic of Ages was a gift from the dying Master Time (father time) to his daughter known to the scriptures of earthlings as Mistress Time. The secret was a magnificently bright blue magic hid amongst the starts, to be disguised as a planet. The heros are trapped within a time loop because [the evil] Dominius Obtained The Magic Of Ages. He used the new found power to travel through time and see what fate awaited him. He learned of his destructors, the distraught band of mismatched heros. Dominius patiently awaited the heros and upon their arrival he completely ripped their souls from the ‘present' and sent them into their pasts, where the game begins (the heros start playing as children). The characters learn about their situation through Deja Vu, dreams, and different Oracles that use their powers to look into the heros futures. ******************************************************************************** I have the first chapter written out in great detail. If your interested let me know.
Advertisement
Hey,

I know that ideas don't sell and that's why I'm going to take the time to write out the whole story as well as scripts for the character's speech. I'm also going to write up descriptions on how the game should play as well as what maps and sprites are going to look like.

I don't know anything about programming or drawing but I would be interested in managing a small team interested in creating a demo of the first chapter of the game.

I need some feedback and ideas on how to break through to people. Please get back to me.

Thanks.
First of all, this thread sounds like it belongs in "Help Wanted", not announcements. :p

Quote:Original post by GhostwriterI need some feedback and ideas on how to break through to people. Please get back to me.

Well, for starters take a look at what you wrote here:

Quote:Original post by GhostwriterI don't know anything about programming or drawing but I would be interested in managing a small team interested in creating a demo of the first chapter of the game.

So basically you are proposing that you want to be the writer/boss/manager, and direct all the programmers and artists to do your dirty work? That's your fatal flaw right there. No one is going to want to develop your game for you if you don't pour as much sweat and blood into it as they do. Even if you claim "I'll write all the dialoge etc etc", I don't think that's going to fly with a lot of potential partners.

It's been said on these forums time and time again, but I'll say it again anyway. "Ideas in game design are a dime a dozen". Even if you have some super-cool or "revolutionary" idea, implementing the idea into the game is the really hard part. Plus, in my opinion, a game project with a design leader who doesn't know anything about programming is doomed for failure. True, there may be exceptions (not any that I know of off-hand), but you have to have that knowledge so you can understand what is realistic to implement in a game, what is not, and how long implementing something will take.

My proposal to you is to do one of the following:

1) Store away your ideas somewhere and go spend a couple years learning how to program, and possibly some art skills as well. I thought of the main ideas/concepts for the game that I'm working on right now when I was 13 years old (I'm 22 now). If I would have attempted what I'm attempting now 9 years ago, I have no doubt that the project would have failed miserably.

2) Find another project similar to your tastes and see if they are looking to hire a writer. You should have sample work ready to show them.

I know those solutions don't sound very appealing to you, since you probably just want to rip into this world of game design, but trust me when I say these are your best options. If game design was easy enough that anyone who only had an idea and no skills could lead and complete a half-decent game, then we'd have a lot less failed projects and a lot more games out there to play.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

okay,

Maybe I was thinking that game development was a little bit different than what it actually is. I thought that everyone in the development team did just their part. The writer did the writing, the programmer did the programming and the artists did the art.

I did not mean to sound as though I wanted people to do the ‘dirty work'. To me writing is a task and art form all in it's own.

Doesn't the writter do as much work as the rest of the team, or is everything else harder??

Quote:Original post by Ghostwriter
Doesn't the writter do as much work as the rest of the team, or is everything else harder??

In my opinion, everything else is much, much harder (especially the programming). I'm am also the writer for my game and I spend about 100x more time on programming than I do writing. One of my staff members edits my writing as well, so I'm not even doing all the work on the writing myself.

No matter how I think about it, I just can't imagine a game where the writer is putting in just as much (useful) sweat and blood as the programmers/artists. I could be wrong though.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

unfortunately i must agree with Roots.
sure the script could eat up some time but if you learn to program, you'd learn the harsh reality that programming and writing are worlds apart in terms of time usage.
plus, i just noticed that i said learn to program... that also takes a very large amount of time (to learn it to an extent that you could make a game).
and its not just time usage, its also difficulty. to be honest, programming will be bound to prove more challenging than writing ideas and scripting a game.
now you might think i, being a programmer myself, dont really know what im talking about, but i can assure you ive experienced first hand the time it takes to come up with a story compared to the time it takes to program an entire game (be it large or small). just check out my rpg that im working on:
My RPG Site
All of the background info and story stuff took maybe a week to come up with once i gave it some thought. right now ive only got maps and characters showing on the screen - nothing else - and ive been programming it for at least 2x the time ive thought about the story.
sorry to sound so negative, but it is important for you to know if you want anything to happen with this game idea.

now, one thing that i want to say to you is this:
if you are serious about making this game, i would suggest becoming the writer, and one or two other parts that you are capable of. these could be musician, pixel artist, animation director, game world concept artist...
now i see you said you're not a very good drawer, but maybe you could give pixel art a go - it is very different to pencil and paper drawing so you mightnt be too bad at it.
i dont know how you are at music but it might be something youve never considered and might be good at.
animation director would be a nice small second "job" in a team since it would only need to be stick figure sketches (which im sure you could do :) )
lastly, game world concept sketcher is what i meant... this would mean you dont have to draw any characters, just plants and rocks (general landscape) to give the artists a feel of what needs to be done. only black and white sketches too ;) this means almost anyone could come up with something fairly creative, while still not needing to know much about it (or be too good at it) :)
having any other side "jobs" in the team will take some of the strain off the other members and also be more attractive for people to come to - less work = more attention! it will also make the other members feel as if they're not the ones doing all the work. this creates a nice unity between the team because of equality and fair workload.

well, i hope this answers your questions and i hope it helps you understand what time goes into games by others (programmers/artists/musicians...).
i also wish you good luck in finding a team and getting this game made :)
the_moo
hey,

Actually music is the main profession that I'm getting in. Too bad I'm a hip-hop DJ and an emcee. I don't see how this type of music would help out too much for a RPG played on the GBA.

I would be interested in drawing out sketch boards for the animation team and making the world. I actually planned on writing and mapping out everything anyway. I was just looking for professionals to help me bring it all to life.

I don't even want a big cut. As a matter of fact I would be willing to take a smaller cut that we can work out together as a team.

Thanks.

PS, I'm taking my time with it all because I want the game to be on par with classics of the same nature.

FF5
Lufia series
hi,
i read this series of posting with some interest, i too is an newbies in game development, hence, i plan to do it from the bottomup approach. mine is a webbased rpg game cause i wana focus on the story, char, scene, game logic, ai logic, location detection etc, then upgrade to an 3d engine.
i am currently doing it with php/mysql, got some scene artwork done as well using 3d software. just click the artwork or game url on the leftframe and c for your self. there a story url on leftframe where u can add and append storyies u write at diff time, i am currently looking for story writer, graphic artist, 3d animator and even game programmer that can share their ideas and cordinate our work, and we will move from there.
my site is http://mnqstudio.thecirculation.com and email
mnqstudio@yahoo.com.sg(just incase u miss it on the leftframe bottom section)
Creating an idea is not the hard work, not at all! That is the easy part of the job. Bringing the idea into reality is the hardest part. Involving not only programming, but also the design of characters, gameplay, etc.
A game that is actually very appealing for players to play, well designed, well programmed and original. That's my opininion..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement