• Create Account

Island Racers DEMO 003

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:25 PM

UPDATE - A new exe is up (9th February) which should be more stable and tell me why it was crashing previously at startup for some people Hi guys. The newest version of my racing game project project, now with sound and music, can be downloaded from here. Screenshot Read the readme.txt file first for controls and please post back with your thoughts. Thankyou. [Edited by - d000hg on February 28, 2005 1:59:21 AM]

Sponsor:

#2 Marmin   Members   -  Reputation: 523

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

Is this demo running in Full-screen? Or in a window?
Can you please include a setup, or make the game full-screen, so I can adjust some parameters.
Because, it's running extremely slow (1 fps), and I think this is caused by wrong window size.
Thanks, looks nice! How big is this game?

#3 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:18 PM

It runs in a window which takes up the whole screen. So Direct3D is set up to use whatever your windows screen mode is, which might be a bit high.
Was it slow right from the start or did it suddenly slow down while running - did pressing 'R' to reset it make a difference?
Do you have more thn one monitor on your system - if so try moving the window to the other monitor(s).
Could you email me the 'game log.html' file produced at john.dexter@fsmail.net please? I can customise a version to use maybe 640x480x16bit fullscreen if you want to try that.

#4 overflowed_   Members   -  Reputation: 194

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

Not bad. The collision is a little shakey high speed, and the program will crash if the car is driven into the water. Other than that, nice work.

#5 Marmin   Members   -  Reputation: 523

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg I can customise a version to use maybe 640x480x16bit fullscreen if you want to try that.

I can't ask you to do that of course. But my card needs it, I think.
I'm testing the game on a low-end graphic card. I think the card wants the game to run full-screen (not windowed), or in a fixed window mode (like 800x600), to get a decent frame-rate.

#6 Qa303asmGuru   Members   -  Reputation: 163

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:24 AM

Crashed on startup. Looks cool though. Below is the log created trying to run it on one of the lab computers. I'll give it a whirl on my comp at home later. What was the next item that was supposed to be on the log list? That might give a better idea of what went wrong...

log:

*****************Opened a log file*****************
Creating a D3D COM object...succeeded with 1 adapter(s):
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)
D3DCLASS - Initialised D3D ok
D3DClass::CreateDevice(0=NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)) : Using SW vertex processing
D3DClass::CreateDevice : About to set 1600x1200, F=22 Df=80...SUCCEEDED

#7 jakem3s90   Members   -  Reputation: 437

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Original post by Qa303asmGuru
Crashed on startup. Looks cool though. Below is the log created trying to run it on one of the lab computers. I'll give it a whirl on my comp at home later. What was the next item that was supposed to be on the log list? That might give a better idea of what went wrong...

log:

I'm getting the same thing, except my resolution's 1024x768.

*****************Opened a log file*****************
Creating a D3D COM object...succeeded with 1 adapter(s):
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
D3DCLASS - Initialised D3D ok
D3DClass::CreateDevice(0=NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X ) : Using HW vertex processing
D3DClass::CreateDevice : About to set 1024x768, F=22 Df=77...SUCCEEDED

#8 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:06 PM

Oh for crying out loud! I've just had this problem with two ATI-based machines and now nVidia too?! I've run it on a TNT2 myself at home! I think it might be sound-related but my logging isn't catching anything.
The new link at the start of the post is to a version which lets you choose between windowed and 640x480x16 fullscreen mode. You only need to download the latest .exe (2nd file) not the whole thing again if you ahve it already.

#9 Marmin   Members   -  Reputation: 523

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

It works fine with me now, 21 fps. Fun to drive around, the physics are realistic.

#10 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

Great. Would you mind telling me your system specs (CPU and graphics card is all I want)?

#11 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

Here is a special version if it crashed while loading - it's just the exe so only ~300Kb - please give it a try and tell me what the last thing to happen is before crashing!

#12 Marmin   Members   -  Reputation: 523

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:56 AM

I tested the game on my laptop- it's an 1 GHz AMD mobile Duron processor, and a S3 twister 16 Mb graphic card.

#13 chenmy1   Members   -  Reputation: 164

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:13 AM

Geforce fx 5200
256 sdram
pIII 800
23 FPS ..

very good...

point 5/5
Physics : 3 :D

#14 Qa303asmGuru   Members   -  Reputation: 163

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

Cool!

One thing-
In your readme.txt you have n and m labeled as change up and change down respectively. It took me a few minutes to realize that meant changing gears...so you might want to change it to shift up/down. Not a biggie, just a little confusing at first.

The physics were cool, I hope you release another version where the cars can run into each other ;)

Oh and the game did in fact crash when you drive into the ocean. When I got to the edge the car did a backflip in the air, but when I kept driving out the whole game crashed.

Another thing, in windowed mode I get about 25-30 fps, in fullscreen I was getting ~90-100!! It is normal to get higher fps in fullscreen, but I don't think I've ever seen that much of a performance difference!

This game has great potential...keep going with it!

#15 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, driving into the ocean means you go pass the edge of the level. In theory there's code in place to handle it (an infinite flat plane you can drive on) but in practice it doesn't work. I'll just stop you going off the map at some point...
The difference in framerate probably is down to the resolution. In fullscreen mode it uses 640x480 at 16bit colour. I'd imagine your windows desktop to be at least 1024x768, maybe 1280x1024 and using 32bit colour. That's up to 4X as many pixels to draw!

#16 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

You're not supposed to directly link to the download; link to the post instead. When you made this thread, I had forgotten to prevent hotlinking to downloads, but I implemented it a week or so ago, and if you try clicking the download links, you'll see it doesn't work. (I found this post because someone tried downloading it today and the error was logged.) So you may as well edit your original post, d000hg. And shame on you! [smile]
~CGameProgrammer( );
Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.

#17 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:43 PM

my anti-virus scanner popped up a virus alert Trojan.Qhosts, after opening your .exe

uh oh

#18 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

Quote:
Original post by CGameProgrammer
You're not supposed to directly link to the download; link to the post instead. When you made this thread, I had forgotten to prevent hotlinking to downloads, but I implemented it a week or so ago, and if you try clicking the download links, you'll see it doesn't work. (I found this post because someone tried downloading it today and the error was logged.) So you may as well edit your original post, d000hg. And shame on you! [smile]
Sorry about that - I'll update it...

#19 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 688

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
my anti-virus scanner popped up a virus alert Trojan.Qhosts, after opening your .exe

uh oh
My anti-virus software at home is pretty up-to-date and didn't detect anything. I also took it to work which has very good protection system and nothing was detected there either. Are you sure it actually came from my .exe, and you didn't just catch it while online at the time you downloaded by demo? Did your sofware report the infection in my .exe or just at the time it was run/later on?

This site says that virus is not transmittable via a .exe - it cannot infect files. I have to conclude my demo is clean.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS