• Create Account

Possible loss of data?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 PixelOp   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

Hey guys, Whenever I use this piece of code:
srand(time(0));

I always get this error: : warning C4244: 'argument' : conversion from 'time_t' to 'unsigned int', possible loss of data Could anyone explain to me exactly what it means? Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

1Likes

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

I would guess that if you track down the definition of the type time_t, it's defined as a long (or unsigned long). On some systems, longs are larger types than ints, so when you try moving a value from one type to the other, part of it has to be thrown away.

In this particular case, it doesn't matter - all you want is some unpredicatable value to start the random number generator with. If you want to silence the warning:

srand((unsigned int)time(0));

#3 doynax   Members   -  Reputation: 850

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

It simply means that the type time_t (returned by time) isn't guaranteed to be equivalent to a normal int variable.
In this case a loss of precision wouldn't cause any harm but in others it might, especially when writing portable code. The "solution" is to cast the return time into a basic integer.
srand((unsigned) time(0));
The time_t type could correspond to any arithmetic type. And sending, for example, a floating point value to a function receiving an integer without explicitly casting it down is seen by the compiler as a potential source of bugs.

#4 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3724

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

time(0) returns a time_t.
srand() takes an unsigned int.

The compiler is nice and auto-converts from time_t to unsigned int. The warning comes that a time_t isn't an unsigned int and has different maximums/minimums. So what happens if the time_t is greater than the unsigned int's maximum?

#5 PixelOp   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Ahh, I was trying to mess around with the unsigned a bit but couldn't quite put it in the right place.

Thanks a lot guys!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS