• Create Account

newbie writing help

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 OoMMMoO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 November 2000 - 07:41 AM

I have a story for a game but am not sure how to write it. When you write a story for a game do you write like you would a book?

Sponsor:

#2 Landfish   Members   -  Reputation: 288

Posted 06 November 2000 - 11:21 AM

You write it however it makes sense. Much of the time, you will be writing it as a screenplay, since the scripts are usually event-trigger based. Read a book on how screenplays work, scene setting and dialog.

If your story is very linear, this will be pretty much all you need. If there is a divergent pathway or dialog trees, things get a little more complicated and you have entered the realm of the game designer. By one of the more liberal-artsy books on game writing and read it, you can learn a lot.

#3 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4583

Posted 06 November 2000 - 02:53 PM

Also, it''s a good idea to make detailed, polished character sketches (see the ones in FF7''s booklet that comes with the game (or they''re online somewhere)). For a very fluid story notecards, flowcharts, and/or storyboarding may come in handy.

#4 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1210

Posted 06 November 2000 - 03:56 PM

I have the fun of writing a non-linear/branching story... that is hell. You need to place divergent points everywhere. I am working on a more story-boarded level, though with less pictures

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS