• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

most perfectly written

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

#1 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5554

Posted 08 November 2000 - 12:34 PM

What does who think is most perfectly written, and why? For me: -C.J. Cherryh''s _Cyteen_ -Orson Scott Card''s _Ender''s Game_ -?''s play _The Lion in Winter_ I venture to label these ''perfect'' pieces of writing because in addition to having no technical flaws they all have vivid characters, high emotions, dramatic plots, and solid, interesting world-building.

Sponsor:

#2 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 08 November 2000 - 03:11 PM

Anything Fiest! The whole damn lot of them... Lots of depth and originality in story

LOTR... has some strange properties for the 3 books separation
Book I: All history, no feeling...
Book II: Bit of history, a little more feeling...
Book III: Relatively NO history, lots of feeling...

Anyone else notice that? I didn''t like Book I because it didn''t seem to have any emotion behind the writing, but I liked II and III. Anyone else feel the same?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

#3 nes8bit   Members   -  Reputation: 275

Posted 08 November 2000 - 03:13 PM

Final Fantasy 7!

---------------------------
Tell your friends. Tell your family. Tell your...don''t tell your family. The GDTalker

#4 ncsu121978   Members   -  Reputation: 603

Posted 08 November 2000 - 03:22 PM

The Death Gate Cycle
it is a collection of 7 books written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. These are the best books that I have ever read. If you have read these books, let me know what you think of them. When you start on the first one, it is a little difficult to get into. But about half way through the first book, the action picks up, and by the end of the first book, you will HAVE to read the rest of the series as fast as you can get your hands on them.
And the ending will completely blow you away.......

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

#5 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 08 November 2000 - 03:33 PM

Katherine Kerr''s books as well I think... Great working on the Celtic mythology . Even includes Loch Ness monsters (to a lesser degree when you get to Cerr Cawnen - a place with some similarities to loch ness )

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

#6 Ironblayde   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 08 November 2000 - 03:51 PM

Yes ncsu, the Death Gate cycle is excellent! I might like the same authors'' original Dragonlance novels (Chronicles and Legends trilogies? It''s been awhile) even better, though it''s a close call.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.

#7 ncsu121978   Members   -  Reputation: 603

Posted 08 November 2000 - 03:56 PM

Ironblayde, did you read all 7 ?
I loved the end of it when Haplo''s lord finally realized what was going on and sacrificd himself. Lord Xar was it ? I dont quite remember. But Alfred being all bumbling throughout the whole thing could have been left out.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

#8 Wyzfen   Members   -  Reputation: 288

Posted 08 November 2000 - 04:36 PM

arg ! don''t post spoilers about the end of books

Some of my fav were MacCaffery''s ''political sci-fi''s'' - the doona trilogy, the power trilogy (perhaps even the master harper trilogy ?)

and then there''s kim stanley robinsons mars trilogy.
mmm. trilogies are good. you (usually) cant fit a whole, decent story in one book.

all of those have HEAPS of inter-character relations, and let you know all the history and current events you need. brilliant.

The death gate cycle was VERY good.perhaps 7 books was a tad too many tho

Wyzfen

#9 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 08 November 2000 - 04:40 PM

Can''t fit a decent story in one book? MAGICIAN - (Raymond E. Fiest). That may have more books, but it is a DEFINING story... It rocks!

#10 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 November 2000 - 08:22 PM

Neither Feist''s MAGICIAN or Final Fantasy 7 are *that* good. In fact both bored me.

MAGICIAN is so trivial that it is litirally a Tolkien rip off. It is filled with boring travelling descriptions interspaced with a few good dialogue and some exciting drama. It has good parts, but it certainly also have bad parts. The Dragonlance Legends trilogy is much better.

My suggestion for a perfect work is Clive Barker''s Weaveworld. I am a big Clive Barker fan and has read almost all his work. That man is a true geneous. For those that do not know him he wropte the books behind the Hellraiser and Nightbreed movies.

Jacob Marner

#11 Run_The_Shadows   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 634

Posted 08 November 2000 - 10:10 PM

Speaker for the Dead --- Orson Scott Card
Stranger in a Strange Land --- Heinlein
Those two books are perfect...purely magical.

This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com

#12 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 09 November 2000 - 12:17 AM

Personally, felonius, I thought that Magician had absolutely nothing in common to Tolkien. The histories that were told were done so in an inovative and exciting fashion. As for the ''boring travel details'' I thought that it was the character of the novel and the setting of the scene. I thought that the feeling and depth in the novel actually brought out a human quality. Maybe you didn''t read the revised edition, but I did... And I did and still do think that it rocks. I have read it twice (halfway through Silverthorn the second time).

I think it all comes down to personal preference though, just like everything else.

#13 Knarkles   Members   -  Reputation: 271

Posted 09 November 2000 - 12:22 AM

quote:
Original post by Run_The_Shadows

Stranger in a Strange Land --- Heinlein

Hmph, I was just going to mention that.

Fahrenheit 451 is also excellent.

-Jussi

#14 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 09 November 2000 - 12:23 AM

Melanie Rawn comes to mind from some of my younger fantasy reading days... I really need to get the whold lot of that trilogy

#15 SpazBoy_the_Mitey   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 November 2000 - 12:25 AM

I just have to say that the Elenium by David (& Leigh) Eddings
is my favourite set of books. As always, he has an interesting
take on magic & religion, and there is a very nice bit of
politics thrown in there too. Of course, one could argue that
his works are too formulaic, but formula makes me all warm
inside...

#16 MadKeithV   Moderators   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 09 November 2000 - 01:22 AM

All the Ghost Stories by M.R. James.
Tolkien, each and every book.
H.P. Lovecraft, nearly every story.
Shakespeare.

The Death Gate Cycle is alright, a bit mediocre in the originality department, and stereotypical.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~

#17 runemaster   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 November 2000 - 01:33 AM

The Gap Series and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson.He uses language to the most and his characters are the deepest I''ve ever seen.His books are far more than ''just sc-fi/just fantasy'', they range on philosophy.I just have to say this :
"This Day All Gods Die"

Carl Sagan''s books.

And also pretty much anything by Isaac Asimov.His books have influenced my way of seeing the world very much, even if it sounds weird to you.

Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic
Add your site to my free-for-all links page !
""""" "''Nazrix is cool'' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya" -- Nazrix" -- Nazrix
"I feel that posts of this nature are a perversion of the internet."-johnnyfish

#18 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 November 2000 - 01:36 AM

Lovecraft?!?

How can you say that Lovecrafts books/stories are perfectly written?

I can agree that they have some original ideas (hence the popularity of Cthulhu), but well written? No.
They are written in something that goes to great length to seem authentic but fails nonetheless and it seems very unpersonal and undramatic.

And Tolkien,

Tolkien might be the inventor of a new genre, but when you compare his works with later works in the fantasy genre his books generally lack behind. There is too long travelling descriptions and long chapter with no real content. The Hobbit is quite a trivial story (original for its time but not anymore) so it can hardly be called a "perfect book". And Lord of the Rings has many boring sections. Take for instance the chapters in the forests of the Ents.

Ok, I am doing some ranting here, but I think that some works a good for their ideas but a generally overrated for the literary qualities, ie. how well they are written.

And while I am at it Fahrenheit 451 is actually quite poorly written too in my humble opinion. Interesting story, though.

Jacob Marner

#19 dwarfsoft   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1225

Posted 09 November 2000 - 09:49 AM

Again fel, I have to disagree.. I liked the Ent-forest. But all up, Tolkien doesn''t cut the grade, unless just for ''The return of the king'' and maybe the ''two towers''.. otherwise, the first book sux too much to be counted in this list...

Which is why I say that it is everybodies opinions

#20 WarAmp   Members   -  Reputation: 750

Posted 09 November 2000 - 10:03 AM

The Dark Tower series By Stephen King. Very awesome, Very incredible story and universe. If any of you are wondering, they are NOT horror books. they are Fantasy/Fiction. very very good.

Hookt on Fonix relly werked fer mee!
WarAmp

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS