• Create Account

Mini contest : texture making.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

#1 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 14 November 2000 - 09:06 AM

Since Luxury complained, but didnt give any answer, here is an attempt. It's both an opportunity to brag as much as you want, and yet, the content might be informative, if we do a bit of an effort. So here is the deal : lets post our kick ass textures, explaining how we did them. Kinda mini tutorials. Here's one
If you answer this thread, I'll edit this post and explain how I did it, and how with a few different setting, you can get also that one : youpla :-P Edited by - ahw on 11/14/00 3:07:40 PM

Sponsor:

#2 Thr33d   Members   -  Reputation: 382

Posted 14 November 2000 - 09:15 AM

post them here?
or in a mini contest?

anyway, i''m very interested: I love texture creation!
i have some texture examples but really haven''t made too much stuff; i''d LOVE to see some other peoples'' work, methods and of course, the textures themself!

-mike

#3 Thr33d   Members   -  Reputation: 382

Posted 14 November 2000 - 09:18 AM

oh yeah, forgot to mention, i love your textures and would like to hear how you did them (i work in mainly vb right now so source might not help me as much as explanation) either way though i''d be interested.

2nd note: how do you post images on this forum?

-mike

#4 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 15 November 2000 - 02:44 AM

Well, here is some of the explanations to do the kinda textures I did above. It''s all for Photoshop.

The instant rock recipe :
-------------------------
Have your colors set to black and white.
.Use the Render>Clouds filter.
.Use the Render>Difference clouds filter. Repeat as long as you want. The more you repeat, the more grainy your stone will look.
.Filter Stylize>Emboss. Set the height to a low value (3 is nice), set the angle to -90 (or whatever, as long as you keep that value consistant for all your textures), set the amount to whatever you want, it will give more or less depth to the texture.
-------------------------

Et voila ... a nice looking, TILABLE (use the Other>Offset filter to check), stone texture.

Now give a colour to your stone using the Adjust>Hue/Saturation menu. Or use the Airbrush set on Color mode to colorize the stone to your liking.

LAter I will type the rust thingie, for now, try it and tell me what you think ?

youpla :-P

#5 Luxury   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 November 2000 - 07:07 AM

quote:
Original post by ahw

Since Luxury complained, but didnt give any answer, here is an attempt.

well...this is a good way to start. good idea adw. now ill have to search through my files looking for something. ill be back with something later.

-Luxury

#6 EnochDagor   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 15 November 2000 - 07:21 AM

Very cool! You should make a tutorial.

#7 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 16 November 2000 - 04:36 AM

Well, that's the idea here ...

I give you a five minutes method, and you show me what you can come up with, based on the idea. Here the idea is to use the instant rock recipe above to make a kick ass texture, like the one I showed.
It's both educative, and a good opportunity to brag by showing your m4d l33t ph0t0sh0p skillZ

There are some examples using ONLY what I described above :

I applied around 20 times the Difference Clouds on the first one. Note the difference with the blue texture, where I only applied a single Difference Cloud.

Now for this one, before applying the Emboss filter, I applied a little bit of Noise ... et voila, you get a sandy texture. I had to lower the height parameter in the Emboss filter though.

And with a little bit of patience and filter tweaking, I then added some shiny parts. Looks like some precious ore to me.

Oh, and yes, they are all tilable textures.

NOW GRAB PHOTOSHOP AND SHOW ME WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH THE METHOD ABOVE

PS for Thr33d : to post a picture on the board, simple add an HTML IMG tag, the SRC field must be a full "http://whatever.com" adress.
Type the "reply" button on a post with a picture to look at the actual sourcecode.

Edited by - ahw on November 16, 2000 3:37:09 PM

#8 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 25 November 2000 - 04:12 AM

revived the thread for frankd.
Quite disappointing to see no answers though ... are you guys ever reading this ?

#9 bishop_pass   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 25 November 2000 - 04:52 AM

ahw,
Can you make sure your textures are repeating in both the x and y direction?

#10 AynRand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 2000 - 01:03 PM

How do I turn the texture one color w/out losing the texture itself (ie w/out losing its depth?) im new to photoshop so...

Thanks

#11 AynRand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 2000 - 01:14 PM

Nevermind-- I figured it out. Im dumb!

#12 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 27 November 2000 - 03:09 AM

bishop :
Basically, if you are making a texture based on the Clouds filter, like I describe above, the texture WILL tile, because the Clouds and Difference Clouds filter generate a tiled texture. After that, it depends what you do. Emboss, for instance, will keep the tiling.

If you want to know if the texture tiles, you simply apply the Other/Offset filter with Wrap around activated. If you see some obvious glitches, correct them (generally, with the Finger tool)

Konrad : I assume you were talking about the ADjust/Hue Saturation menu.

#13 AynRand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 November 2000 - 01:39 PM

Ya.. The problem was that I forgot to change the mode from grayscale to RBG. The hue/sat menu wasn''t available... thanks anyway. I''m new to art.
BTW, is there any way to make textures easy w/out using filters?

---------------------------------------
"I am 17 and on medicare..."

#14 SeanHowe   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 27 November 2000 - 03:45 PM

Here''s a texture made from the original method for creating the stone wall. I call it, "Bloody man runs into wall".

What I did was add another layer, viewed its options and set the mode to Colour Burn, then closed the window. Then I just drew a bunch of red splotches with the air brush, and dragged them around a bit with the smudge tool.

#15 richardve   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 November 2000 - 03:36 AM

Nice topic!

I don't have Photoshop but you can do the same things with the GIMP (I'm using the win32 version).

This was done using your (ahw) methods:

Edited by - Richardve on November 28, 2000 10:38:38 AM

#16 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 28 November 2000 - 05:29 AM

Well, the method is not "mine", I jsut started messing around with the basic recipe, and discovered I could do kick ass textures with a bit of work, and lots of layers.

I''ll put up how I did the rust later tonight.

SeanHowe : try this
Rotate your blood layer 90degrees CCW.
Use the Wind filter, I think it''s in Sketch ...
then reRotate your layer 90degrees CW.
Et voila ... blood that drips along the wall.
Of course you can do this by hand by using the Smudge tool and only smudging downwards. Or you could use the motion blur vertically, but it''s not as nice.
As well, Colour Burn is not the best filter.
Try turning your layer to Difference, and then play with the Hue/Saturation to see if you cant get something nice...

richardve : of course, this tutorial works with your favorite tool if you know how to use it I''ll try to make my explanations a bit more general so you can "translate" mor easily, but you can also probably do all this with PAint shop pro. As long as you have layers and a bunch of filters...

#17 usser   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 28 November 2000 - 05:37 AM

I may have got this wrong but just to clear things up: Photoshop is alot more than just a bunch of filters. Since when is making textures all about using Photoshop filters?

Edited by - usser on November 28, 2000 12:39:20 PM

#18 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 28 November 2000 - 08:43 AM

OK, first off usser, be assured I am not saying Photoshop is a bunch of Filters ... on the other hand, Layers and Filters are tools that you better know how to use when using Photoshop. At least as well as the Marquee tool ... but I beg you, let''s not get into this kind of discussion. This thread is to see what you people can do on a given theme. And eventually, explain how you did it so everybody with a bit of imagination can exploit it. REGARDLESS of the program you use. Thanks

Please cf the Post your art here for a proof that you can do more than textures with Photoshop, I just posted a work in progress

#19 ahw   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 28 November 2000 - 09:02 AM

OK, more texture making goodness
Here is some rust.

Let''s take our basic stone texture done earlier :

If you think about it, it would be nice to have rust in the dark areas, but not on the bright ones, wouldnt it ?
So lets make a copy of our layer, then desaturate it, and use the ever wonderful Adjust/Curves menu. What we want with those curves is to make all grey be black, and a few of the lighter greys become white... So you get a sort of ___|""" shape in your Curves graph.
you get something like that :

Now this is a bit too identical to the base texture. We want it to be a bit more messy ... let''s do that.
Add some Gaussian Blur first (1 or 2, not much).
Then a bit of Noise (around 32).
Then my favorite, some Spatter.
And you get this :

Now jsut for a last touch, I''d like to have this sorta dripping along the wall. I could use the Smudge tool, but here is another technique you''ll like.
Rotate the layer CCW 90. Add a bit of Wind from the left. Then reRotate the layer CW 90. I then coloriwed into a blueish color to get this :

Doesn''t look like rust does it ...
Well, just turn your layer mode to Difference ... Et voila
Rust !

Now, I was messing around with some settings (which is what YOU should be doing as well !!!), and I came across this one :
Take the above rust layer, and simply apply the Emboss filter, to get a wonderful Stucco like texture :

Now instead of making the Difference between this one and the base texture, and Multiply the two ... and here is a lovely Anthracite texture...

This is jsut to show you that sometimes, good things happen only by chance. Of course, this is because I was messing around to get the perfect result. If you jsut blindly follow whatever Tutorial you read, you are doomed to never do anything original.

So come on and show me what you stumble across

#20 MSkinn99   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 November 2000 - 01:48 PM

Well, here are my textures. I got Photoshop today...and this is what I created...using what ahw told us.

I used the clouds for #1, then used the Distort>Glass... and tinted it blue.

For #2 I did the difference clouds and then added another layer. I added some red with the airbrush and then rotated, used Stylize>Wind, and rotated back. I used the Multiply layer mode.

Enjoy.

-MSkinn99

What''s done is done (Until you hit Undo)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS