• Create Account

Game Institute?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 alien3456   Members   -  Reputation: 346

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:24 AM

I'm done all the my highschool has to offer in the Computer Science field, and I'm definately taking some sort of course this summer so I can keep on beefing up with it. I haven't found too many local college summer classes that offer the kind of training that I am looking for. I've taken a spontaneous interest in Game Institute from the article on the Gamedev from page. I've looked through all of their courses, and a few of them are the kinds of courses I am looking for. Game Institute is definately cheaper and more specific at what it is teaching than some of the summer programs I have found. But there has to be something about it. Is there any flaws, negatives or downright wrong things that would make me avoid it? I'm a bit sketchy on the idea that I don't get a textbook or any physical thing I can sit down and look at. So has anyone used their service? Satisfied?

Sponsor:

#2 Phineas   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:27 AM

I haven't taken any courses from Game Institute, but in my opinion the internet offers enough resources (technical forums as well as tutorials) that you can learn a lot of things on your own. Books also work well, and are cheap relative to a formal course.

#3 corrington_j   Members   -  Reputation: 148

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:42 AM

when i was doing running start (taking college classes in high school), i took a game institute class, because it was free. The fact is that they just give you some stuff to read, and there are discussions and what not and then you take a test at the end. I would recommend save your money and buy a book on what you want to learn, or just find information for free online.

#4 alien3456   Members   -  Reputation: 346

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Okay, I was getting a little ahead of myself this morning... and had some really weird urge to program. Then I realized I was just hungover.

#5 JTWatters   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

I have taken the first part of the C++ series (Module I) at the Game Institute. I can recommend the course. I had never programmed before and went into GI as a complete beginner. I thought the material was very well written and presented. What is an added bonus is the student/instructor interaction. The answers I personally have received to my problems I could not of asked for better. The voiced over lectures are really good too.

The only gripe I have is that the textbook is in electronic form. They ship you the CD with everything on it, including the voiced over lectures. But nothing to physically read. I prefer a real textbook. They have said that they are going to start offering textbooks as an optional purchase but they havent done it yet so it doesnt really do any good. If you dont mind reading the textbook and listening to the lectures all on your computer then I can really recommend the GI courses.

My opinion is bias to the C++ courses and the Math Primer seminar. I am enrolled in other courses but I have not started them yet. There are students with alot more experience then me and they still all have nothing but good things to say about GI. For the CD with the lectures( 1 for each chapter), textbook (300 - 1000+ pages each course) and the website access to ask questions and participate in live chats; well worth it in my opinion.

You can always print out the textbook and put it in a notebook if you really wanted to. Instead of that I have bought some programming books, I figure variety cant hurt.

[Edited by - JTWatters on May 14, 2005 6:36:15 PM]

#6 alien3456   Members   -  Reputation: 346

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:41 AM

Ah that's not so bad. Do you get to keep the cd? And is the book in an easily printable form, like pdf?

#7 JTWatters   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

Yes the CD is yours :) If you dont want to wait for the CD to be shipped, you can download most of the material and get started right away after you order a course (while you wait for the CD to arrive).

The textbook is in PDF form. The lectures are flash/powerpoint presentations I beleive (no additional software necessary, everything is on the CD you need to be able to listen to them).

There are tests for each chapter, a midterm halfway through, and a final exam at the end. All are taken directly from the website. Exercises are given at the end of each chapter to help build fluency and problem solving skills.

#8 alien3456   Members   -  Reputation: 346

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

Hrm, this sounds like something I need. I have books of my own, but it would be such a big help to have them in the form of a class. There's not much motivation with a book alone. I think I may be giving at least one course a shot this summer.

Thanks for the insight.

#9 BobV   Members   -  Reputation: 416

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

I've taken the C++ module 1 and Graphics Programming module 1. Their materials are more complete then any book that I've seen. I agree with JTWatters, it would be nice to have some sort of printed manual, but you do get everything on PDF. I signed up back in 2003 and I still have complete access to everything when I need to redownload and use it as a reference. They include a lot stuff, with the audio lectures and plenty of workbook related labs (seperate pdfs).

#10 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5159

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

We're already offering printed textbooks to students enrolled through Marist College, but we don't yet have them available through retail on our website, although it's something we are working on providing.

For more threads and opinions on GI, start here

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#11 joew   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3661

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:10 PM

Honestly GI has the best material for beginners and even intermediate learning on the subjects provided.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS