STUPID CRAWLIES!

Started by
4 comments, last by Succinct 23 years, 4 months ago
Alright, guys, hope someone's had similar troubles. I'm making myself a little win32/ogl wrapper in c++ to use for demos, etc. well, to test what i'm making so far, i decided to use the -still under development- wrapper to make a win32 tetris clone that's got some 3d special effects (doesn't everyone have to make tetris once?). well, my little trick is to add smooth translation and rotation to the pieces (not just: hit rotate key, piece is 90 deg different, it goes from 0 to 90, same thing for translation) well, my problem is that as the piece is dropping, crawlies come to life due to the perspective i have on the scene. each block for my pieces is the same idea as the blocks from the original Zelda dungeons or the "staircase" at the end of super mario brothers levels. is there anyway to eliminate the crawlies w/o eliminating the perspective? should i just redesign the pieces? hrmmm. thx in advance ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct. ~Succinct Demos Online~ "Hey, where'd that display list rotate off to now?" Edited by - Succinct on 11/19/00 2:34:03 PM
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Advertisement
Im sorry this is probably a newbi comment "what are crawlies"
are they trails from your bitmaps,left over pieces of your bitmap or what??
==--When the time comes you will realize but no sooner.--==
there''s two kinds that i''ve seen (crawlies is a technical term used by Alan Watts ("3d Computer Graphics") )

the most obvious and most frequent is, say, take a poly/line/anything and rotate it, SLOWLY!

the edges will seem to crawl along due to the pixel sampling frequency. this is especially apparent using a low screen resolution.

the other one, the one that''s affecting me, is when you have a texture/multiple parallel polygon edges translating slowly.
one side of the poly will jump to the next pixel, but the other won''t, the the other will, and the first wont. again, this is caused by undersampling, but i don''t see anyway to increase the sampling frequency other than to either super sample the polygons (which, to my knowledge, can''t really be done in real time unless the hw is using FSAA), or to increase the screen resolution, which isn''t really an option, cuz i cant increase it enough to hide the artefact.

hrmmmm.

hope it answered ya

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct.
~Succinct Demos Online~
"Hey, where''d that display list rotate off to now?"
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
If you have problems with crawlies, simply go to your local hospital and they can treat you very quickly. Next time stay away from the cheaper call girls

Thanks,
Etnu

Sometimes I think I know what I really don''t, but then again usually I do know what I don''t, but just don''t realize it, maybe its because I am so young, but then again it could be because I am insane.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

use polygon and or line antialiasing NOTE theres not many cards that support this in hardware.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
quote:Original post by Succinct
there''s two kinds that i''ve seen (crawlies is a technical term used by Alan Watts ("3d Computer Graphics") )

The technical term is "aliasing". Check around online or in your book for various anti-aliasing techniques.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
---- --- -- -
New York. New York. New York. Texas. Texas. New York. New York. Canada.
---- --- -- -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement