• Create Account

OpenGL Projects using Visual C++ 6.0

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 stick_man   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

I am reading "Beginning Game Programming" and at this point, in order to learn the material better, I want to create my own OpenGL program from scratch. I am new to Windows Programming and I am new to using MS Visual C++. Since no code I write will build without Link errors, I'm going to start with the basics. 1. What type of project should make for testing my newly learned OpenGL techniques? A Win32 Application? Win32 Console App? Ect. 2. What is a "Workspace" as compared to a "Project" ? 3. How do I link "GLU32.lib" and "OPENGL32.lib" to my projects? 4. What type of projects are the examples that came with my book? ( located on the CD, of course )

Sponsor:

#2 evillive2   Members   -  Reputation: 700

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

Check out NeHe's OpenGL site. It is really good and the first tutorial there explains exactly what you asked for.

Good Luck.

#3 ogracian   Members   -  Reputation: 180

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

I really suggest you take a look at NeHe tutorials, it start from setting an OpenGL project and evolve to more advanced topics, the url is: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

All this tutorials comes with full working code and I am really sure it will help you in OpenGL development.

and for your questions:

1.- It depends, if you use glut you could use a console app, also this is cool for rapid prototyping but if you want more "control" of your app you should use a Win32 app.

2.- The main difference is that a workspace can contain muliple projects.

Regards,
Oscar

#4 zealouselixir   Members   -  Reputation: 237

0Likes

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

I'm sure someone's going to beat me to this, but here's my shot at answering.

1) You'll want to create a Win32 Application, since you desire to target the windows subsystem rather than the console subsystem.

2) A workspace contains projects. A project is a collection of files that are used to build one unit, such as a library or executable. The workspace collects these projects together into a sort of virtual portfolio for the whole "solution." The simple answer is, as a beginner you'll only have one project per workspace, so don't worry about it.

3) Exercise for the reader. Start by right-clicking the project name and selecting properties. Keyword: link.

4) I wouldn't have any idea. Odds are that most of them are Win32 projects, if the book mostly covers graphics-oriented games.

Later,
ZE.

#5 Dim_Yimma_H   Members   -  Reputation: 469

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:08 AM

Quote:
Original post by stick_man
3. How do I link "GLU32.lib" and "OPENGL32.lib" to my projects?

In Visual C++ 6.0, when you've created a project, click "Project" in the menu bar, click "Settings" (Alt+F7), click the "Link" tab and make sure the "Category:" combo box says either "General" or "Input".
Here, notice the text box for "Object/library modules:", this is where you add lib-files to be linked to by the linker when building the executable file. If you created a Win32 application this text box will probably contain stuff like "gdi32.lib comdlg32.lib etc." or similar. Add " opengl32.lib glu32.lib" to this text box and click "OK" and it's done.
Quote:
Original post by stick_man
4. What type of projects are the examples that came with my book? ( located on the CD, of course )

Hopefully it says somewhere in the book, for example in an introductionary chapter or in appendix. Or maybe in a readme file on the CD?

\Jimmy H

#6 stick_man   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:56 AM

Thank you all for you're responses, after reading through the replies I got a small project up and running in no time. The NeHe site is particularly usefull for a Windows Programing noob like myself.

#7 chad_420   Members   -  Reputation: 290

0Likes

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:55 PM

The tutorial at winprog.org is also a good resource to understand windows apps a little better, its definatly geared toward the beginner.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS