• Create Account

Screensaver Issues - Kernel32.DLL Error

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:19 PM

My Screensaver can be installed (by Install option when right-clicked on the file with Explorer) and run correctly for the first time while being in Display Properties Window. I can run it here (Dialog and Preview working) as many times as I want. But when I click Apply and return back to Display Properties, it crashes under WinME with Kernel32.DLL error. It doesn`t even start my application because very first line of WinMain is creation of LOG.TXT and it if would crash inside my application, the error message would state that it`s inside. Just to be sure, I put try-catch handler into WinMain but it doesn`t even get to WinMain. What`s even more weird is, that the screensaver runs itself after specified time (alwyas in XP, less often in WinME where it crashes). However, WinXP doesn`t show this Kernel32.DLL error when being for second time in Display Properties. It just does nothing (but at leat it won`t craash under XP). Any ideas ? VladR www.avenger.sk

Sponsor:

#2 T2k   Members   -  Reputation: 220

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

could be a problem with the path the screensaver is located. If you right click and select install, windows will use the *.scr file from where you 'installed' it. Maybe you got something in the pathname that windows doesnt like. Other than that i cant think of anything that could stop your screensaver from running... or it is a problem with your logging code? try to disable it...

T2k

#3 VladR   Members   -  Reputation: 722

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:05 AM

Well, I install it after copying into Windows\System folder, so it`s all there. Logging surely can`t create crashes itself. I really don`t know.

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:12 AM

Screensavers don't use WinMain(). They use ScreenSaverProc().

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Screensavers don't use WinMain(). They use ScreenSaverProc().

They use exported ScreenSaverProc only when you use the "scrnsave.lib" as a basis for your screensaver.
Since I don`t use "scrnsave.lib", my code (after constructors of all classes that work OK) starts with WinMain. It just doesn`t get there at all (because first line creates LOG.TXT).

Still thanks for the idea though.

Any other ideas ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS