• Create Account

The newest and HOTTEST 3D Engine!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 komi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 November 1999 - 06:58 AM

The newest, hottest, and FASTEST 3D engine in design is "MATRIX 3D. This engine can currentlt process 350fps! With added texture and sky, it should run around 300fps! One of the FASTEST! Please visit there site at:
http://matrix3d.cjb.net

------------------
-komi

Sponsor:

#2 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 25 November 1999 - 08:15 AM

Anything above 70 or 80fps is utterly useless, as your monitor isn't capable of refreshing that fast.

#3 komi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 10:28 AM

How many times have people asked me that? Well, here's something to think about...

Uh... let's say that our engine ran at 250fps. And another engine ran 90fps. To the 90 engine, we added some moving objects, buildings, ect. An the FPS rate went down to about 75. Now you can gradually see a difference in speed with your eye. Let's say we do the same thing with our engine, and it goes down to 235fps. You couldn't notice a difference because it hasn't gone down below your screen monitor rate. So we could still ADD more with our engine, without the public noticing a difference in speed, while if we kept adding more to our 90 engine, the more you add, the slower the game,and thus wise the public sees the difference. Hope that helped.

------------------
-komi

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 November 1999 - 11:08 AM

wow great webpage. Not only do you NOT provide a way to skip your flashy intro, but once you get past it, all that comes up is an add banner. Whoopee! Way to impress us all!

#5 Kyle Radue   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 11:39 AM

Throwing out frame rates for an engine is essentially meaningly unless we know the context in which the test was run. I downloaded the demo and I saw 5 texture mapped cubes, 4 of them rotating at over 300 fps. But this is processing a meager 30 quads or perhaps 60 triangles.

You really need to create a complex scene for a demo which really pushes your engine to its limits to impress people, not by showing something that resembles an OpenGL tutorial program. I suggest building a mini-game of some sort where the player can at least walk around the environment because unless the developers of an engine are using it to build a game people will always be suspect of its quality and no one wants to invest a lot of time/money into an untested technology.

#6 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 25 November 1999 - 11:50 AM

Tried to go to your site, only saw an annoying Flash intro followed by a banner. Maybe the banner runs at 300fps?

#7 Glonk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 01:49 PM

Ahhh
I hate flash

It doesnt let you skip the pointless animations and get the data.

I recommend an HTML & Flash version...

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 November 1999 - 02:06 PM

Last count my engine got 900fps. If I try to do more than one triangle it goes down though

#9 Splat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 02:53 PM

I get 2000 fps on my first demo! Yeah, that's right, the whole thing takes .0005 seconds per frame! However, it has a, although I might say very nice, black screen

I HATE stupid plugs like this! This belongs in a special forum called "Trash Bin" because not only is this an "Your Announcement" but its a stinky one.

- Splat

#10 Nomad   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 02:57 PM

I home you thanked Jeff Molofee(NeHe) for the source code to your engine, now that was tutorial 7 right?

Nice try,
Nomad

#11 Splat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 03:05 PM

OMG! Priceless!

"Matrix 3D is a poweful commercial engine, used to create high quality games. The engine is under design by Joe, and Eric. The engine will be sold to separte commercial companies interested in buying Matrix 3D"

(note, I made no typos in that)

Funny, I've never seen a game made with Matrix 3D, and the website certainly doesn't list any. But I am impressed, because I've seen "Joe"'s and "Eric"'s before - they are high profile developers < /sarcasm >

I wish I knew what "separte" is because I'm sure its crucial to understanding this paragraph.

Oh yeah, after "you are being exited from Matrix 3D" and I stopped laughing, it took me right back in! Gees, I guess they can't afford to let people be "exited" in peace...

< /senseless beating of poor game engine developers >

- Splat

#12 Emil   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 05:38 PM

This may sound stupid, but what exactly is "FPS"?

#13 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 November 1999 - 06:05 PM

fps=frames per second

#14 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 25 November 1999 - 07:52 PM

how did you guys view the webpage? I just see a banner.. tried netscape and IE..

#15 Kyle Radue   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 November 1999 - 04:59 AM

FPS can also stand for "first-person shooter", but you can always tell which abbreviation it is based on the context in which it is used.

#16 Alexander Deruwe   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 November 1999 - 05:23 AM

foofightr: You have to wait quite some time. It's an annoying Flash site, that takes ages to load and even longer to display completely...

/Alex

#17 Phillip Schuster   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 November 1999 - 06:03 AM

Hi !!

I really agree with all of you. Showing a few cubes and saying that engine is fast, well that sucks. I am also developing a 3D Engine and I think it's quite fast, too, but I don't think Transformations or pure Rendering is what makes an engine fast. All engines share more or less the same code for Matrix and Vector-Math and even more the same renderer (Direct3D or OpenGL). If an engine with a software renderer is much faster than an engine doing the same in software then I am impressed, but when doing Hardware-Rendering .... !! I think rendering itself is quite fast now (Tranformations, Projections, Rendering Triangles).

But when it comes to Virtual Machines (For Scripting), Skeletal Animation Systems and stuff then it gets interesting and getting stuff like that fast is the key to get a fast 3D Engine. I have finished my scripting language PumpScript and it's Virtual Machine, and when I implemented it in my engine the framerates dropped about 50% (a few items were rotated and translated by scripts). After hours of tweaking everything went with just a hit of about 5-10% which can't be noticed.

Phillip Schuster

#18 Kyle Radue   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 November 1999 - 01:12 PM

I have to disagree with Phillip regarding what qualities make an engine fast. Nearly every 3D game in existence spends a majority of its processing time on the rendering of the graphics. Engines differ greatly in their data structures and organization of data to send to through the graphics pipeline and it is up to the development team to show off what the engine is good at and hide what it is poor at. For example, the Quake engines are great at what they do (static, indoor geometry using BSP trees and PVS) but imagine if someone made a Tribes-like level for Quake I/II/III, it'd be terrible.

I am not saying that AI (which for convienence will encompass virtual machines, skeletal animations, etc. which Phillip mentioned) is inferior to graphics, I'm just trying to point out that a game with a highly-optimized rendering engine and partially-optimized AI will generally run at a higher framerate on the same computer configuration as would a partially-optimized rendering engine and highly-optimized AI.

AI has generally been receiving a high percentage of CPU usage in today's games versus a year or two ago and this is a good thing.

And for reference I should state that I work on AI and general game logic professionally and graphics as a hobby.

#19 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 27 November 1999 - 06:58 AM

I'm moving this to the announcements forum and closing it.

#20 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 10 June 2000 - 05:28 PM

I laughed so hard at this one that I couldn''t resist at bringing it back.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS