Basing games on old games

Started by
1 comment, last by Yakuza21 23 years, 4 months ago
Is this a good idea to base a new game on an old one? Some of the older ''classic'' games were some of the best in terms of getting the most out of a game. Is taking elements from those games a good idea or should you go for the totally new idea concept. "Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day!"
"Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day!"
Advertisement
Every game is somehow based on another game. Making something purely original is almost impossible with the amount of content already in existance. That doesn''t mean however that you should make a "clone" of another game, that''s not basing your game on another one, it''s copying. So basically it''s ok to take elements you like from other games and put them into your own game, as long as you make something different out of them
Actually, that''s how I do a lot of my designing. I used to rely on the borrowing a lot more, trying to actually put two or three games together. Somewhere along the line I realized it doesn''t work well that way and just started to pick what felt right instead.

It takes practice, because it''s neither an exact science or a true art. It''s a bit of both[, somewhat like written works.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement