• Create Account

3H-GDC m.II **** The results are in ****

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
150 replies to this topic

#81 mike25025   Members   -  Reputation: 494

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

To send an email with an attachment to a GMail user you have to rename the file and change the extension (I changed mine to .xyz). Don't forget to tell him what the original extension was.

Sponsor:

#82 DukeAtreides076   Members   -  Reputation: 602

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:52 AM

Arrr my email didn't make it through then :[

#83 DukeAtreides076   Members   -  Reputation: 602

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hur hur my email didn't go through but you can still burninate some pirates1!!~`

HOSTING BY HIPPO LOL~

LOL SITE 1
LOL SITE 2

#84 Zefrieg   Members   -  Reputation: 316

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:24 PM

Well, here is my final entry. capn_midnight's email gave me a delivery failure, and the upload site didn't work, so I'm just going to link it here.

Fire Wire

#85 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:48 PM

Alright, entries are in, download page is ready
Downloads

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#86 Fruny   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1653

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

I have two broken submissions so far:

* "Jump or Burn" - Can't open the RAR file. Provide a ZIP, please.
* "Pirate Burninator" - I don't have the DX SDK (and thus no d3dx9_26.dll), only the retail DX9.0c, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

#87 Toxic Hippo   Banned   -  Reputation: 1012

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

d3dx9_26.dll and jumporburn.zip for those of you that need them.

#88 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

judges can post their choices in my journal. contestants can just sit and wait.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#89 Prozak   Members   -  Reputation: 869

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hey guys, I'm extremely happy with the quality of the entries we had. 3am here now, so I'm off to bed.

I'll judge each entry tommorrow! [wink]

#90 Fruny   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1653

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

Toxic Hippo - Thanks they work now.

I notice that the overall difficulty of those games has been cranked to "Damned Hard". Heh...

#91 Cypher19   Members   -  Reputation: 768

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Here's how I would order it all:

1) Endurion
2) MarkR
3) Hippo
4) stro
5) DukeAtreides076
6) bitplane
7) Mike25025
8) Zefrieg

Fwiw, I'd LOVE to see those top 4 be more fleshed out. They were really fun and with more time they would be really excellent

#92 Prozak   Members   -  Reputation: 869

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:54 AM

Still haven't been able to run bitplane's entry, and Zefrieg just seems too fast... what is supposed to be happening?

:O

#93 Stephen R   Members   -  Reputation: 721

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:43 AM

Quote:
Original post by ProzakZefrieg just seems too fast... what is supposed to be happening?

Yeah, that happened on my machine too. Someone else told me whats happening. There are blocks falling from the top of the screen. You have to get to the other side of the wire without being hit by the blocks and falling into the fire, or something along those lines

#94 bitplane   Members   -  Reputation: 178

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:18 AM

OH NOES! Are you getting createdevice failed when it tries to init directx?
I uncommented the menu lines and recompiled - try replacing the game exe with this one and launching in ogl mode instead.

http://members.gamedev.net/bitplane/jumporburnogl.zip

The plan was to have that menu in there in the first place, but I forgot about it in the panic.

#95 MonkeyInBlack   Members   -  Reputation: 263

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:14 AM

There have been some great entries made I really like stro's. Just wish it had more levels to play.

Good job to all !

#96 Stephen R   Members   -  Reputation: 721

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:17 AM

Quote:
Original post by MonkeyInBlack
Just wish it had more levels to play.

Hehe, me too [smile]. Thanks anyway.

#97 MindWipe   Members   -  Reputation: 940

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:43 AM

Quote:
Original post by stro
Quote:
Original post by MonkeyInBlack
Just wish it had more levels to play.

Hehe, me too [smile]. Thanks anyway.

Yeah! With more levels it would totally have been my favorite entry! Nice work!

/MindWipe

#98 Prozak   Members   -  Reputation: 869

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
Original post by bitplane
OH NOES! Are you getting createdevice failed when it tries to init directx?
I uncommented the menu lines and recompiled - try replacing the game exe with this one and launching in ogl mode instead.

http://members.gamedev.net/bitplane/jumporburnogl.zip

The plan was to have that menu in there in the first place, but I forgot about it in the panic.

I'm trying this at the work computer, which is not very game friendly, so no wonder some things won't work right off the box. I'll try it at home tonight, in 4 hours, and if I experience any crashes I'll post here.

I'm very happy with what I've seen so far, great gameplay on some entries [wink]

Edit: I'm home. Zefrieg's entry still is too fast to judge, and I still can't run Jump or Burn (that makes for 2 computers I wasn't able to run it in):

[Edited by - Prozak on July 25, 2005 1:47:03 PM]

#99 Zefrieg   Members   -  Reputation: 316

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:55 AM

Quote:
Original post by Prozak
Still haven't been able to run bitplane's entry, and Zefrieg just seems too fast... what is supposed to be happening?

The animations are the only thing that run fast. I just did that to make it look funny (aka I didn't have time). The idea is to balance yourself on the tight rope while dodging rocks. Use the left and right arrow keys to move in the respective direction. Use up and down to alter the balance. The circles on the side of the person represent the player's balance. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to implement the scoring and the winning condition, or to restart the game even. Oh well.

I was not aware of this competition until a short time before it started which means that I was at a huge disadvantage to those who had base code accepted for use. I understand that the use of the base code is within the rules, but plenty of people have pointed out some problems with them.

#100 Stephen R   Members   -  Reputation: 721

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:59 AM

Meh, I didn't use the code base. I made a point of doing absolutely everything within the 3 hours.

Anyway, your game runs much too fast on my machine too. The animations are humourously fast like you intended but the rocks move so fast you actually can't make out anything except a slight blur at the top of the screen. Its odd, because it works on other some machines but not others.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS