Originality 101.

Started by
45 comments, last by aegrimonia 23 years, 4 months ago
Ok, after endless throngs of messages about the next great RPG or RTS, or FPS, you''ve got the idea for: i''d like to clear the slate, and try to get you all to use your creative brains for once.. I would like to know what your most unusual game idea is... note.. this can NOT be an rpg based in mideval times, nor in the future.. it''s been done.. a LOT.. it can not be a First Person Shooter.. at least one even remotely like anything that''s ever been done.. if it''s a real time simulation.. umm.. it''s gotta be something other then a knock-off or improved version of StarCraft... Unfortunately many of my ideas have already been done... But some of the ones i''ve come up with along the way are: A virtual construction company where you can use dumptrucks and destruction cranes and bulldozers to just maul stuff over.. May seem lame, but think back to when you were a kid.. a couple years later, tonka came out with something like this oh well.. and i thought about a virtual lego system.. where you could build with legos on the computer.. of course lego came out with this one years later as well.. I haven''t spent much time lately thinking of NEW gaming concepts, as i''ve been busy working on Dominion, which is of course a combination of a few pre-existing games, but the original concepts are over 10 years old, before those games existed.. I''d just like to know what''s bouncing around in your heads... OH.. you should also pick up the latest Game Developer Magazine.. it has an interesting article about the 4 myths of game development.. I think the points made could help everyone who reads it so put on your thinking caps.. bring on the originality for once! digital euphoria software
Advertisement
You must play a planet... Your task is to evolve a species from the primordial soup that will ultimately benefit you in your struggle. You must also battle any creations of yours that you create that work to do you harm. There are also more than just internal struggles. Other planets are warring with you, trying to knock you out of their orbital path. You must also battle them, cosmic dust, satalites, comets and stars. Your ultimate goal is to evolve into a cosmic planetary system. You may collect satalites for your own, in which you can build. Eventually your conciousness may be great enough to take the solar body at the center of your system... Then, you can take over your whole solaris system (hehe, I meant that slip ) and from there the galaxy... next THE UNIVERSE. Make everything work in harmony so that there may be destruction, but there is growth. Almost like a Sim, but an RPG at the same time. No specified time period, but there are also FPS battle sequences between the planets.

Now... Lets build this beast

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

VERY GOOD!

now that''s what i''m talking about.. a wonderful idea.. totally new.. and in uncharted waters as far as game genres (sp?) go..

way to go dwarfsoft!

A war game where there are 1000''s on the field, the camera pans down and zooms in on one, you. You play one guy in a war setting. Staying alive would be key. You''d get metals of honor and all that crap.
Well, anon, it seems to be some kinda First Person Shooter, doesn''t it ?

That would really screw your head up....
Heh, I had something similar to drarfsoft''s idea in mind... it''d be multiplayer though, and there''d be a big economical side to it. More kinda first person.
It won''t work with today''s technology though, and it probably be too long winded and boring.

My other idea of a turn based strategy game is currently in the makings but it seems our team doesn''t like the idea and I might end up alone.
Also, it''s more of a real big mix-up of loads of games and genres, not an authentically original idea.

- JQ
"Um, hi. Aaaaaaarrrgggghhhh" -me
~phil
Originality award for 2000.

electronic arts has a VERY cool idea for a game in the works..
it's something like the movie 'the game'

you sign up, and you instantly become part of a conspiracy..
you will get real faxes, real phone calls at 2am from informants, real IM's on AOL from informants, real email messages from spies.

it's a really cool idea.

that one wins my award this year so far.

check it out in the latest issue of PC GAMER..

digital euphoria software

Edited by - aegrimonia on December 4, 2000 3:22:16 PM
I think it's a severely short-sighted mistake to say that just because it's FPS, RTS, futuristic, or medieval fantasy, it's automatically an unoriginal regurgitation. There's plenty to be explored in these areas!!! You sell yourself short by thinking so narrowly!

For example:

Science Fiction - Empire Role Playing Game
A strategy game plays itself in the background of your SF RPG. Empires rise and fall, territory is conquered, technology advances, and wars engulf the galaxy. By discovering ancient artifacts, joining sides, and taking missions you can influence it all. Story is made by the empire interactions, the universe is randomly generated each game, and it's open ended. (Working on this one right now )

Medieval Fantasy - Court Intrigue
Fighting with words. Lies, conspiracies, and plots abound in the court. No leveling up, no quests, no monster bashing. Instead, you've got to be in the right place at the right time, decide who to trust, what to say, and how to say it. You can expose plots, frame enemies, lend your honor to support allies, and ultimately defend or overthrow the crown.

Competitive RTS, Noncombat
War not with weapons, but with infrastructure!!!! Rival research companies race to master the secrets of an ancient alien city by outbuilding, blocking and sabotaging one another. Several resources, useful and toxic, must be stored and channeled. The most efficient and devious infrastructure that grabs the most resources and poisons its enemies will win the game!

FPS - Tetris Meets Unreal, No Weapons
Bloosport in a high tech construction yard! Using the awesome TractorGun, pickup, rotate, and manuever huge blocks and beams to build the level in real-time and trap or crush your enemies! Build bridges, forts, traps, ramps, and any other structures out of lego-like blocks with different weights and properties. Plenty of jumping, ducking, dodging, and grappling hook use with the TGun. In CTF mode Red and Blue team build their base in real time while trying to capture the enemy flag.

See what I mean?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Edited by - Wavinator on December 4, 2000 3:36:55 PM
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I hate genres...so any game i would design would not be in one (though MY RPGs arent in the computer version of RPGs...)

I would make a "RPG/FPS/RTS/Mystery" where you were in the future and invented a time machine where people would go back in time and change things and you had to correct them...but the game was free and you could go rouge. *evil grin*
RPG cuz you take on the persona of the time cop (or other).
FPS cuz you''d still have to blow away the enemy dudes.
RTS cuz ''time wars'' could be fought with multiple points of change and you''d have to coordinate the effort.
Mystery cuz you need to figure out WHAT happened WHEN!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement