• Create Account

Xbox 360, Ps3, Nintendo Revolution Coding

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
111 replies to this topic

#81 paranoya   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:13 AM

guy I started out as a big noob in game dev with big Dreams (very big MMORPG big) and I think for starters dont set any goals becouse youlle never get to make them (publich game etc.) I think you should find your self a team in help wanted and work with them for a while until you get the hang of it

Sponsor:

#82 Riviera Kid   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/team/

maybe my browser is broke but i dont see 100+ employees.

#83 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:02 PM

Quote:
Original post by Riviera Kid
http://www.idsoftware.com/business/team/

maybe my browser is broke but i dont see 100+ employees.

I think you'll find thats the core team, the big cheeses, the head honcho's, the people in the spotlight..no mention anywhere of QA or R&D people for example, who do exist on a team like this, or get outsourced. Read game credits to get some idea of the number of contributing people in a project.

Everyone is getting very hung up on this 100+ employees thing, I think thats actually probably true in many if not most cases, especially in production line companies who throw manpower at a project to bring it in on or near time.
There are many smaller companies like ID though who don't need so many people because they essentially fund themselves and have a done when its done attitude...But they do still have very large and often very highly skilled (and expensive) front line teams backed up by large support teams, that may not get so much credit or coverage...

Not all companies can operate like ID, or Epic, or Lionhead etc, and take a relaxed approach to developing their own ideas, thats something of a luxury and its a bit childish to hold these exceptions to the rule up as examples of the rule being wrong.

The original AP post was making a valid point, perhaps aggresivly, it does need a fair sized team of people, and support teams, to produce anything thats going to hit the charts these days, comments on RCT are interesting but it was what, 94/95 when it first came out...10 years ago?

Things have moved on. Sony,Microsoft and even Nintendo have standards they expect to be met that requires more than a hobby team or individual can hope to supply in any kind of realistic timescale. Marketing needs a track record to sell the game, and publishers need to know...not think, know, they are going to make money.....

There will probably always be a niche market for odd new genre's that pop up every couple of years and take off, like RCT, that are relativly easy to code but offer great gameplay, and a new gaming experience, and could be put together quickly by a small team.

But they need to be stunningly different and genre forming to succeed. This is a design issue more than a development issue though,and a totally different
thread.
Todays games really are nothing more than constant re-polishing of small set of tired genre's that get better only in terms of presentation, the content having died long ago.

I think its quite possible for a few select people to write Quake vs Doom 5 in their bedroom with their incredibly talented mates doing the art after school, and their classmates doing QA...but it'd take 10 years and by then ID will have moved on new things that the marketing people will lap up because they can sell it on the ID name, not on J Q Coder's name, even if he did spend 10 years on it.

ahhh so many tangents...so little time.

#84 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:23 PM

Agreed. Epic's constant blathering about how much better they are than everyone else because they only need 30-40 people to make a game are utterly disingenuous. The number of people involved is a meaningless statistic. The important factor is how many MAN-HOURS it takes. Or more generally, how many man-years (for projects of this scope). Does Epic make games with much smaller teams than EA? Yes. Do they take three times as long? Yes. EA's model is inefficient (because adding more people to a project always involves some loss of productivity), but the real difference is that EA wants their games done somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 months. They're willing to sacrifice some overall efficiency to get that done, which means putting a ton of people on the project.

Sure, you can make a game with 20 people. Think about it. You can make a game with 1 person. It'll just take you ~20 times longer.

#85 Warvstar   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

Well I'm always hearing people having hard time creating MMO's and making your product work on XBOX and stuff. It is not true for me, I have made the connections to get my game on the XBOX 360. Also I'm a one man team(at the moment) with a HUGE MMO in development. The game is almost ready for outside testers. I have a small budget less than $2,000.00, however I was able to do all this. The Xbox 360 devkit will require some more money, but nothing anyone serious cant come up with. The most expensive part to game development I find is the Art(1% done in my game, all cheap placeholder art right now).

#86 Homers Pal   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

Quote:
Original post by Warvstar
Well I'm always hearing people having hard time creating MMO's and making your product work on XBOX and stuff. It is not true for me, I have made the connections to get my game on the XBOX 360. Also I'm a one man team(at the moment) with a HUGE MMO in development. The game is almost ready for outside testers. I have a small budget less than $2,000.00, however I was able to do all this. The Xbox 360 devkit will require some more money, but nothing anyone serious cant come up with. The most expensive part to game development I find is the Art(1% done in my game, all cheap placeholder art right now).

$2000, and 1% art done, and a 1 man team...And you've already got an Xbox 360 deal lined up...yeah, ok, sure I'll buy that..Not.....sorry forgive me if ask for a bit more proof there :)

#87 FullThrottle   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:08 AM

Quote:
Original post by Homers Pal
Quote:

$2000, and 1% art done, and a 1 man team...And you've already got an Xbox 360 deal lined up...yeah, ok, sure I'll buy that..Not.....sorry forgive me if ask for a bit more proof there :)

Maybe it's possible if he's related/friends with a higher up at MS and he's the next Will Wright etc... You never know....

#88 DrEvil   Members   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:21 AM

Or maybe it's possible he's full of shit. I seriously doubt there is anything playable in this huge fantasy MMO. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Either way, save that $2000, it's going to have to be about $10,000 for a Xbox 360 dev kit, and the tester kits are a couple grand each last I heard as well.

These numbers direct estimates from MS themselves at gamefest 2005.

#89 Warvstar   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:45 AM

$10,000? That is nothing to a serious indie. I dont think your wrong for doubting this, I have not given enough proof on my website yet. Once I finish the new terrain engine I will commence the alpha test, you are welocome to join. BTW, who is the latest guest on my forums? I really need to get rid of that feature, just signup already.

#90 DrEvil   Members   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:54 AM

That's the point a 1 person team who says they have single handledly created an HUGE MMO that is about ready to begin testing doesn't sound like a serious post. Like I said, would love to be proven wrong. Screenshots? Feature list? Maybe we have differing views on what level of completion is implied with the statement that it's ready to enter external testing.

#91 __win__   Members   -  Reputation: 188

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:59 AM

don't know if it has been posted yet but: http://www.gcdev.com/
and it won't work with VC on GC because tthe processor architecture!

#92 Warvstar   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:02 AM

I have a few screenshots in the forums, however just wait a week and I will have a video up on the main site. Oh yea, and the game is nowhere near completion, it is partly a RTS game and therefor need's allot of game balancing.

#93 WillC   Members   -  Reputation: 540

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
I have a few screenshots in the forums

Indeed you do...

http://www.futurelands-thegame.com/futurelands/viewtopic.php?t=2
http://www.futurelands-thegame.com/futurelands/viewtopic.php?t=4
http://www.futurelands-thegame.com/futurelands/viewtopic.php?t=8

... but unfortunetly, they simply illustrate that your chances of getting this released on an Xbox 360 are exactly 0.

#94 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

0Likes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:16 PM

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Is it still a "rumor" that Nintendo Revolution will allow homebrew games to be made on it? Or has that been squashed?

So I guess no one knows?

As far as I'm aware, what was actually said implied something more along the lines of "we won't make it impossible for indies to acquire dev kits"(meaning they might eliminate the 'need many shipped titles requirement' and change it to something like 'meet X requirements OR pay Y royalties to nintendo') and/or "we might hire indie game designers that have good ideas in entry-level positions so that one of our teams can create games based on their ideas"(so they can essentially 'steal' indie ideas either for new games or to incorporate as parts of existing games).

I'm not certain, though.

#95 Homers Pal   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
I have a few screenshots in the forums, however just wait a week and I will have a video up on the main site. Oh yea, and the game is nowhere near completion, it is partly a RTS game and therefor need's allot of game balancing.

ah Yes
Torque, I love that crossbow!!! Well tis a fine engine, even capable of doing some 1st rate games accross platforms, but Xbox 360??? no son, get a grip will you. You really have not got a clue.

Reviewing your post history you got interested in Torque a year or so ago, so I guess you started coding about then? So I'm surprised you've got so little done, as Torque already gives you most of what you're showing there. In fact this is pretty much the standard Torque demo.

I admire your enthusiasm and spending time on getting a project together, but don't bullshit on forums where there are people who know a little about what it takes to produce a game. Torque is nice, good for learning how things work and even putting together some pretty solid FPS's and racing titles, or an RTS on PC. But your not going to get anything on Xbox using the old Torque engine, and you sure as hell have 0 chance on 360.

As others have said here, be realistic, get your game finished, learn from it, and WHEN you know what your talking about, start thinking about a console game.

#96 Warvstar   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:10 AM

Ok I should probrally remove those screenshots, in reality I dont even use TGE, those shots are very very old(about a year).

I use TSE, and yes it works on my Xbox360 so do other TSE games. STHU and wait for me to release the video.

Everything on my forums are true and make for a good game, it is only the art that is standard TGE art and like I said a year old. I have been working mainly on core technology, stuff that you will see in my video.

#97 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:30 AM

great troll. keep up the good work!

#98 Homers Pal   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2005 - 05:12 AM

Quote:

I use TSE, and yes it works on my Xbox360 so do other TSE games.

lol. you are very funny...very very funny.

#99 Warvstar   Members   -  Reputation: 136

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:37 AM

Here is proof of TSE running on Xbox360, it sells through Live Arcade.
http://www.xboxcircle.com/portal/content/view/697/1/

#100 WillC   Members   -  Reputation: 540

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
Ok I should probrally remove those screenshots, in reality I dont even use TGE, those shots are very very old(about a year).

I've a hard time believing that as they were posted on the 13th Oct 2005, i.e. just over a month ago.

Quote:
Here is proof of TSE running on Xbox360, it sells through Live Arcade.
http://www.xboxcircle.com/portal/content/view/697/1/

It is indeed proof that GarageGames have ported their game 'Marble Blast' to the Xbox 360, and that Microsoft have accepted it as a high enough quality product for them to publish through Live Arcade.

It does not necessarily follow though, that GG have ported their entire Torque engine to the 360, or that MS will accept a partially finished game with no graphics from a 19 year old with no previous game development experience.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS