Get/Set Properties.

Started by
17 comments, last by Rain Dog 18 years, 8 months ago
I think it might be a good feature to register the return value of functions as properties to the Script writer. The script writer uses this: //script int myval = ScriptApi.MyVal; //in c++ int ScriptApi::MyVal() { return MyNum() + GetTickCount(); } It would be useful to allow this i think.
Advertisement
I agree, and this is already on the to-do list for some time. [smile]

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Oh. I must not have read it.
Is it going to be Getter/Setter property syntax C# style, or will getter/setter methods be treated like Java bean properties? Personally I am all for explicit syntax as in C#. I wonder what is the general consensus on this.
tIDE Tile Map Editorhttp://tide.codeplex.com
I shall shift the general concensus the other way, then. I think they are a waste of time.
I'm not familiar with neither the C# nor the Java beans way of doing it.

My idea is that the get/set property function would be transparent to the scripts. They would for example be used to allow the application to detect when a property is being changed.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

C# property syntax is mostly syntactic sugar for getter/setter methods. The following link provides a decent explanation:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Language/PropertiesInCSRVS.asp

In C#, a property of type Type called SomeProperty is defined as follows:

public static Type SomeProperty
{
get
{
// do some additional stuff here..
// ..
return this.someProperty;
}
set
{
// do some additional stuff here..
// ..
// and how about storing the given value? :)
this.someProperty = value; // value is a reserved keyword
}
}

Java bean properties are probably more in line with what you (Witchlord) have in mind). That is, if a class has methods of the form:
Type getSomeProperty()
and
void setSomeProperty(Type someProperty)

then a class instance, in the context of beans (components) is assumed to have a property (usually exposed in a visual tool) of type Type called SomeProperty. If no setter method is defined, the property is assumed read-only. Conversely, if only the setter method is defined, it is considered write-only.

The beauty of C# properties per se is they can be used conveniently as public class members but provide strict control as with getter/setter methods.

Having said all this, I understand that 'properties' in script will likely be mapped (or must be mappable) from a host application class (C++). Hence, the 'bean' approach really makes more sense since C++ has no notion of properties. On the other hand, it is still possible in theory to define a registration method for properties that accepts two function pointers: one for the getter and one for the setter.

[editted because link anchor didn't work]
tIDE Tile Map Editorhttp://tide.codeplex.com
The whole idea is to facilitate better data hiding and encapsulation.

A script writer does not really need to know that myObj.Count is really a function call.
Quote:is assumed to have a property

IMHO, that is a terrible idea.
Well, I haven't really consider how the properties would be declared in script classes. That is too far away. Right now I'm only thinking about how the application could register get/set functions to be used as properties in the script.

It will probably be like this:

engine->RegisterObjectPropertyGet("object", "int property", asMETHOD(Object,GetProp), asCALL_THISCALL);engine->RegisterObjectPropertySet("object", "int property", asMETHOD(Object,SetProp), asCALL_THISCALL);

Both or either can be registered to set read/write access as desired.

The current way of registering properties will of course continue to exist as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement