[java] Is there a free jave ide?

Started by
23 comments, last by jeffakew 23 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I''m looking for a free jave ide (intergrated development enviroment- I think). Preferebaly I would like to be really small file download and require a powerful system. Its just that its such a hassle to run stuff from the comand line. Thanks alot.
Advertisement
Borland''s JBuilder is pretty good. It''s not super fast but the overall IDE is pretty good. It has function/variable completion and other stuff like that.

I don''t think that it''s a small download though . 45M I think. I like my cable modem

Textpad also has the abiltiy to compile Java programs so it''s not really an IDE but its easier then typing stuff in the command line.

-------
Andrew
Forte, from www.forte.com(i think this is right) is free, one of the versions.
Another free one that is fairly useful is JCreator - found at www.jcreator.com
If you are just starting w/ java you could try the evaluation version of CodeGuide, www.omnicore.com. It reports errors as you type them, making it a valuable tool for beginners.
Emacs No, seriously, I think Code Crusader will be happy to handle .java files. I think it''s linux (or unix) only though, not sure...
The open source Netbeans (based on Sun''s Forte for Java) is my favourite for its combination of features, speed and extensibility. beware of some builds they can be a bit dodgy so go for version 3.0 or 3.1 Beta.

www.netbeans.org. Use with CVS (www.cvshome.org) for version control. Fab!
Tony
The open source Netbeans (based on Sun''s Forte for Java) is my favourite for its combination of features, speed and extensibility. beware of some builds they can be a bit dodgy so go for version 3.0 or 3.1 Beta.

www.netbeans.org. Use with CVS (www.cvshome.org) for version control. Fab!
Tony

I would recommend staying away from the suckfests that are Forte and JBuilder. Memory hogs, and slower than all hell. I''m sure if you are using Java to do enterprise apps or something fancy, they''d come in handy. Overkill for simple games and just plain playing with Java. I''m happy with Notepad/Edit and a console window. or PICO under linux...

The reason those are so bad is the fact that they are made in Java. Sure, they can run on any platform that runs Java, but yuck. When you are on Windows, why not use a small, fast IDE? Well, I know of at least one way to do this.

RealJ

Quick, fast, Win32....I used it for a bit to do some Java, but never really got too deep in to it. But it''s nice!

Notepad is all right. Hehe. Really, look for WinEdit, mail info@windowware.com

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement