• Create Account

3H-GDC m.III - Winner: eal!!!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

#41 Binomine   Members   -  Reputation: 538

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:22 AM

I finally finished my 7 hour game.

Now that I have a grasp on the language, i'll just install an actual IDE and finish in 3 hours next time. [smile]

Sponsor:

#42 H_o_p_s   Members   -  Reputation: 877

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
Original post by Binomine

Now that I have a grasp on the language, i'll just install an actual IDE and finish in 3 hours next time. [smile]
Can we see the game that you finished?

#43 Binomine   Members   -  Reputation: 538

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
Quote:
Original post by Binomine

Can we see the game that you finished?
It's a good thing you asked, because python turned out to be a pain in the buttox to compile.

Window Crackers.

If the window closes, you didn't make it in time. No end screen because I forgot about the end in the design. It needs to be a bit faster and the times have to be a bit shorter, but otherwise it's a pretty fair game for 3 hours.

Edit: Arrows move, space opens the windows.

[Edited by - Binomine on September 18, 2005 4:24:11 PM]

#44 Mushu   Members   -  Reputation: 1396

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:53 PM

Okay, I've played all 4 entries (including Binomine's, its not up to me whether its in the competition or not.

I'm PMing the good capn with my reviews and scores; I'll leave it up to him to decide whether to post them here or not. I personally was going to, but then I figured I didn't want to influence the opinions of the other judges by my oh-so-influencial opinions [wink]

crackers. lol.

#45 H_o_p_s   Members   -  Reputation: 877

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

How many judges do we have?

The suspense is killing me

#46 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3549

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

Oh crap, totally missed the compo this time. Would actually have had time, but oh well :)

CrackerChomper gives me this (java Runtime not up to date?):

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
at Cracker.create_window(Cracker.java:168)
at Cracker.init(Cracker.java:49)
at Cracker.main(Cracker.java:275)

Cracka Attack:

This is neat, plays good. Would be nice to have a possibility to convert the houses back. It's almost impossible to survive with half the houses converted.

crackers:

I see what the game could be like but there's no gameplay yet. Try to finish the gameplay just because!

#47 H_o_p_s   Members   -  Reputation: 877

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
Oh crap, totally missed the compo this time. Would actually have had time, but oh well :)

CrackerChomper gives me this (java Runtime not up to date?):

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
at Cracker.create_window(Cracker.java:168)
at Cracker.init(Cracker.java:49)
at Cracker.main(Cracker.java:275)
All it needs is 1.4.2, but Cracker.java:169 is 'frame.setIgnoreRepaint(true);' which is only available since 1.4.0. You might need an update, but frankly I am amazed, most people have 1.4 or greater...

If you go into the commandline and type 'java -version' it would let me know...

#48 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3549

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:43 AM

I've got 1.3.0, explains things :)

I have no need for a more up to date runtime, i don't do java development anymore; if i do i use 1.1, and very very rarely run java apps.

Well, i'm not a judge anyway ;)

#49 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1454

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

I'm going to allow Binomine's entry, because it is original and it is in the spirit of the contest. Besides, it's nicer to look at a contest with 4 entries instead of 3.

I've got my picks, I'll post Mushu's picks, now we're just waiting on nagromo.

my picks:

#1 cracka attack by eal
The game with the most gameplay. I liked the humor as well, protect the clubs from being turned into a GAP that spews out more crackas. Two plays on the word cracker. Big points.

#2 crackers by snaily
a very unique concept (which is the point of the contest). When I first said that I could think of at least 4 different meanings to the word "cracker" some how I didn't think of "Firecracker" so big points there. The idea of navigating around based on recoil and blasts is pretty cool, too.

#3 CrackerChomper by H_o_p_s
pretty standard concept, a mouth eating crackers. There isn't much game other than that, and the lack of frame rate scaling was a bit annoying. The graphics were smooth, though, and the lips reminded me of something but now I can't remember what it is.

#4 Window Cracker by Binomine
I wanted to rate this game much higher. If only it were actually playable. I can't figure out what is going on. Huge points for the originallity of concept. It's sort of a Burger Time type game. However, huge point deduction for not being able to figure out how the hell to work it. Of all the games, this one was the least playable, to the extent of the play represented in the game. In CrackerChomper, I could figure out how to chomp, in cracka attack I could figure out how to shoot and move, in crackers I could figure out how to move the ship pretty well. For Window Cracker, after playing it 6 times in a row I still couldn't figure out when to open a window.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#50 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1454

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

Quote:

-Mushu.

Okies, here are my scores (out of 4, 4 being the best, since we didn't have nearly as many entries as last time [sad]):

I rated the entries based on how entertaining the game was to me. In case you were wondering ;)

H_o_p_s: Cracker Chomper - 3
While it was a fun game, the movement of the mouth is pretty erratic. It starts off as pretty fast, but as there are more crackers (which happens pretty quick) the speed drops dramatically. I'm thinking this is actually intended, ala Fantavision - more crackers = slower mouth. A nice intro page explaining this (or even a .readme) would have been helpful.

The other problem is the game goes by pretty fast. It only takes about a minute to lose, and I'm underclocked at 600mHz. Maybe I just suck.

All in all, it was pretty fun though!

eal: Cracker Attack - 4
I actually had to check the readme on this one first, I was like "lol wtf is going on?!" and then I figured it out. I really like the concept of the game, but there are a lot of areas to improve. But hey, you only had 3 hours right? ;)

The first problem was that I wasn't sure whether the objective was to defend the businesses or to save yourself. Since I could move around, I figured I'd better save myself, and then I noticed what happened when the businesses got taken over.

One of the fundamental problems with this game is that the cracker travels in a linear path, and most of the "cracker spawn points" are located in the center. Thus, by standing in the corner, I was able to focus all of the crackers into a pretty tight area, and was INVINCIBLE! So yeah, gameplay problem ;)

The addition of a health bar or scoring method (visible during gameplay) would have made the game more enjoyable, as would have a method to 'retake' businesses.

And finally one last nitpick: the crackers should be drawn on top of the crumbs, so those silly crackers can't hide among the bodies of their fallen comrades [lol]

snaily: crackers - 1
Heh, this is one weird interpretation of "crackers". I can't bash you for not having "crackers" because you have FIRECRACKERS in your game [lol].

Other than that, though, there wasn't much going on that I saw. Took me a couple of seconds to figure out that I had to stay on the screen, but after that it didn't take much time to essentially stabilize myself (despite the ferocious attempts of those space anomalies!)

But yeah, sometimes time just isn't very nice >:(

Binomine: windowcracker - 2
This game is tricky. Tricky tricky. The windows seriously don't stay cracked long enough given the speed of your cracker. I didn't stay focused long enough to determine if the time between "oh teh noes!" and the fart is constant or random, but if its constant the slow speed shouldn't have been a problem.

Oh, bonus points for saying "oh teh noes" in the game. [lol]

Just some other random tidbits, a score would have been nice (how many disasters averted today?) as would have an exit screen [wink]

But it wasn't bad. It was an interesting interpretation of "cracker". Gameplay tweaks hurt :(

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#51 nagromo   Members   -  Reputation: 676

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:01 PM

Sorry I was so slow responding. I worked on it a bit this afternoon, but I didn't have enough time to finish before my other commitments tonight. Without any further delay, here's the results of my judging:

Cracka Attack
eal

This game probably caught my attention the most, and it feels the most completed. The difficulty really depends on the original position of the buildings, though; some setups were way too easy, and others killed me before I had gotten 100 crackers. Also, the in-game text displaying health and kills was very faint.

CrackerChomper
H_o_p_s
The mouth moved way too fast for this game to be playable for me. I could get some crackers, but it wasn't fun when I was just trying to hit the button for just the right amount of time.

I added 3 lines of code to slow it down to see how it would play more slowly. It was a lot better; you could get more crackers eaten that way and could concentrate on the fastest route to the most crackers instead of just the right keypresses.

Crackers
Snaily
This seems like a great idea, but sadly it’s not yet to the state where I would call it a game. I really like how the ship moves; I think if you added some asteroids or enemies you’d have a great little game. As it is, though, it needs more work.

WindowCrackers
Binomine
I think this could have been an interesting game, but a few things totally killed the gameplay. The combination of the timings didn't work out well; the PC moves so slowly and there's a much larger delay between 'Oh noes' and the fart than the window stays open. I could tell that the 'Oh noes'-fart delay is random by observing the order of their actions, so as is it's challenging to play.

You could fix this by changing the delays and speeds, and it would be able to keep my attention much better that way.

Ranking:
1st - Cracka Attack
2nd - Crackers
3rd - CrackerChomper
4th - WindowCrackers

[P.S. As I'm typing this, I'm sitting outside with my laptop because a fire alarm went off in my dorm. Thank God for wireless internet.]

#52 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1454

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:38 PM

The results are in!
1st
eal!!! eal will receive a first release copy of Morning's Wrath by Ethereal Darkness Interactive. (pm me with your mailing information)

2nd
H_o_p_s already has a GDNet+ subscription, so he may opt for a 3 month extension or cash. (pm me with your choice)

Runners up: snaily and Binomine did an excellent job, but unfortunately receive nothing.

#53 Binomine   Members   -  Reputation: 538

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:16 AM

Heh, thanks for the comments, I realized late last night that a last minute change to make things more challanging, changed the wrong states in bean eater's state machine. It's still 'playable' but almost impossible to win.

The game you're looking for, capn_midnight, is Tapper, not burger time, although it was only after I designed it that it reminded me of it.

Flash Tapper.

Thanks for the comments. I've learned how to attack the next contest. Maybe after a few, I'll be able to get closer to winning.

[Edited by - Binomine on September 20, 2005 7:16:29 PM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS