TopLevel Game Develop Company's test questions

Started by
40 comments, last by ApochPiQ 12 years, 7 months ago
You have been given 2 special, extremely rugged Xboxes. You are in an office building that is 100 stories high. Using the fewest possible number of drops from windows in your office building, determine the highest floor you can drop an Xbox from and have it survive: for example, they might be able to take the drop from the 30th floor, but not the 31st. You can break both Xboxes in your search. State the worst case number of drops needed and explain how you arrived at that answer. from Epic Games! can u?^_^
Advertisement
I am 6'4" so if I were to drop an xbox from the first floor it would be rendered useless. No offence but extremely rugged is not very descriptive. We would need to know how rugged.

Didn't you see that episode of X-Play. Out of the xbox, playstation 2, and the gamecube the xbox was the first to break. Didn't take alot to do it in either.
From the looks of it the damage was internal.
Gor435 - My Journal - MySpace - Facebook
But these Xboxes are "special"

Just a guess, Start dropping an Xbox at Floor 15, 28, 40, 51, 61, 70, 78, 85, 91, 96, 100. When it breaks start dropping Xbox#2 at one higher than the last surviving floor. Worst case scenario is it survives at floor 14 which takes 15 drops to find.

This is of course assuming that you can't rebuild the Xboxes after you break them. But, I am probably totally wrong.
n/2 + 2 drops, where n is the highest floor you can drop it from without breaking it.
But you are trying to find n... and the problem wants you to minimize the maximum number of drops with your methodology.
go up to the 100th floor, then throw off both xboxs at the same time, then go to the store and buy a PS2 :D

Drop the first one from the 50th floor.

If it breaks, drop the second from the 1st floor, then the 2nd, and so on, until it breaks.

If it does not break, drop the second one from the 51st floor, then the 52nd, and continue until it breaks.

Worst case scenario is 51 drops: 1 for the initial drop, 50 more if it doesn't break at floor 100.
Well 51 obviously isn't the right answer when my worst case scenario is 15 :)
AP, almost right. Drop the first one from floor #50. Drop the second one from floor #25 or #75 depending on if it breaks. Keep on narrowing down the possible floor in the same way(50, 25, 37, 44, 47, 46, 45 for example).
erjo, you are forgetting that you only get 2 xboxes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement