• Create Account

[web] Can't get JavaScript function call to work in Firefox

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dim_Yimma_H   Members   -  Reputation: 469

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:35 AM

I've written a javascript function which makes a table in a convenient way and it was OK when I ran it in Internet Explorer but I can't get it to work in Firefox. Luckily, Firefox says in the javascript Console function name "is not defined". What I do is simply call a function (writeText) from another function (createDocument) and writeText is defined above createDocument, if I replace the function call with the code in it then it works. Below is an example which works in IE but not in Firefox, it's very basic so I believe I've misunderstood something crucial about javascript. I would be very happy to hear some guidelines.
<html>
<head>

<title>test</title>

<script type="text/javascript">
function writeText(text)
{
	document.write(text)
}

function createDocument(title)
{
	document.open()

var string = "<html><head><title>" + title + "</title></head><body>"
	document.write(string)

writeText(title)

string = "</body></html>"
	document.write(string)

document.close()
}
</script>

</head>

<body>
<a href="javascript:createDocument('test')">click here to test</a>
</body>

</html>

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:52 AM

Have you tried putting, y'know, semi-colons after your statements? ;)

IE will try to assemble something meaningful from a lot of code, but usually not very well - FireFox is a lot more picky about syntax. Fortunately.

#3 konForce   Members   -  Reputation: 588

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:53 AM

It looks like a limitation of FireFox's document.open(). As soon as that is called, the rest of the javascript functions seem to disappear. This is either a bug or just how FireFox happens to handle an ambiguous/non-standard case (if it is one). According to the specs: "Open a document stream for writing. If a document exists in the target, this method clears it." It does work under Opera.

If you re-write it like:

function createDocument(title)
{
function writeText(text)
{
d.write(text)
}
}

it works. So basically, your function calling code is correct. The only reason why it cannot find the function is because of the document.open().

#4 markr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1653

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:03 AM

You're essentially falling into the javascript trap of trying to do more than one thing at once - the results are pretty much guaranteed to be undefined.

Calling document.open on the currently active document, will wipe it out. And everything else will go away with it.

One option is to use a javascript: URL to return the HTML you need - this seems more likely to work (but it's still evil).

Better still, don't use this method at all, and either use DOM manipulation to effect what you need, or server-side code.

Anyway, what's wrong with

<a href="someblankpage.html">

?

Mark

#5 Dim_Yimma_H   Members   -  Reputation: 469

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:57 AM

konForce, that made a lot of sense, and thanks for the suggestion about defining a local function, but I will have to redefine it in every function I want to call it from. I thought if I made a separate JS file, I should be able to take the functions with me to the new blank document by putting a script src tag in the new document too, unforunately that didn't work either. I'll probably do like you said and define local functions.
Quote:
Original post by markr
Better still, don't use this method at all, and either use DOM manipulation to effect what you need, or server-side code.
Mark

That might be a good idea, I can try to do the same thing using the innerHTML property.
Quote:
Original post by markr
Anyway, what's wrong with
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

?

Mark

The documents contains images, so instead of linking to many finished documents (pain to update'em all) I decided to convert an array of names into links and create the targets dynamically. What I like about it is that I get a lot less documents to handle. But since many people use Firefox I want to make sure it works for it too.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS