Are you a developer or a player?

Started by
5 comments, last by mill 23 years, 4 months ago
Are you a developer or a player?
Advertisement
Why can''t you be both? I shudder to think that there might be developers out there that don''t play games, but then again, that might explain some of the truly awful offerings that pop up from time to time.

Come to think of it, I have worked with people who didn''t play games AT ALL. As long as they are kept away from creative and design roles, there really isn''t any problem with it. Content development is content development, whether you''re doing it for commercials, movies or games.

$0.02
Agree w/ anon, I''m both.

I had a chance to work w/ folks who weren''t players on a game, and agree. I''d trust them with the technical stuff, but the stuff they come up with in terms of creativity is mind-boggling.

"You should be allowed to be an atom in this game..."

"This game isn''t long enough, we should add a maze!!!"

"It''s a consumable product. Thanks for the randomization suggestion, but there''s no need to add replayability."

... and my number one favorite: "Players should be able to chop wood, like in Ultima Online. Then they could operate a saw mill! And make furniture! And then go into business as a furniture salesman!!!!!"

*sigh*

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I''m sorta dipping in a bunch of duties with OoMMMoO for our nice Side-Scroller. Thats the developer part.
I''m also a ''l337'' Quake3/UT/HL player, usually played when i''m procrastinating from having to work

This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Here''s an interesting tidbit, Miyamoto has been quoted as saying he actually plays very little since so much of his time is spent creating new stuff. That''s Mario and Zelda for those of you that don''t know.

Ut
but isn''t he mainly a concept artist? I think I read that in an interview with him.
He''s trained as an artist, but he is _the_ designer behind these games. Now, I don''t think he codes much if at all, if that''s what you''re asking.

Ut

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement