My futuristic idea about colonizing Mars and Venus

Started by
99 comments, last by Endar 18 years, 5 months ago
As you know, Nasa is planning to send humans on Mars in 2050 or so. Mars suffers from not enough atmosphere. If it had a denser atmosphere (especially greenhouse gases such as methane and CO2) the temperature there would be warmer, and the pressue would be better suited for life forms. On the other hand, Venus has a lot of CO2, and the pressure and temperature are too much for known life forms (especially for humans). For the time being we do not have the technology to do this, but with the advancements in nano technology and new materials, wouldn't it be possible in the future (maybe 500 years from now) to build some very elastic and flexible pipe between those two planets, and pump the CO2 from Venus to Mars? If we could manage to do that, both Mars and Venus would have a climate pretty close to the one on Earth, so we could colonize them without building space domes and stuff like that. We could directly walk on their surface, without any protective gear.
Advertisement
Or, for the next 50 years, we could just send our smog to Mars. I like that idea more.
Quote:Original post by visage
Or, for the next 50 years, we could just send our smog to Mars. I like that idea more.

Yeah, if we could pack it nicely and transport it there :)
No. Due to problems in the core of Mars itself, it would not be able to sustain an atmosphere.

--edit--

Also, that pipe would cost more to build and maintain than constant round trips between the planets.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
now where'd you find enuff material to build such a long yet flexible tube that'd be large enought not to take eons to pump the atmothphere?
This won't work. It would work if....
Both mars and venus orbited the sun in sync.
You could manufacture a hose that was millions of kilometres long.
You could manufacture pumps strong enough to transfer atmosphere from one planet to another.
WE could breathe acid, since that's what the atmosphere of venus is.
I do not really understand nano technology, but from what I think I know, the ability for it to reshape molecules, and basically make anything from anything by rearanging it, surly if we send some nanites? (thats what they are called in some sci fi shows?) then would they be able to restructure the atmosphere in to whatever it is needed?

from what I saw on a scifi show, viable nano tech would be available in less than 20 years, someone said they have the ability to do it now, but they have no proof.

frankly I think it would be good but not allowed, if terrorists get them, or basically anyone who it is not intended, they could make genecide really easy... on the other hand, if they are used properally, it could be a golden age! (well if I had some, it would be a diamond age here! only joking!)
>wilhil<
Quote:Original post by wilhil
I do not really understand nano technology, but from what I think I know, the ability for it to reshape molecules, and basically make anything from anything by rearanging it, surly if we send some nanites? (thats what they are called in some sci fi shows?) then would they be able to restructure the atmosphere in to whatever it is needed?

from what I saw on a scifi show, viable nano tech would be available in less than 20 years, someone said they have the ability to do it now, but they have no proof.

frankly I think it would be good but not allowed, if terrorists get them, or basically anyone who it is not intended, they could make genecide really easy... on the other hand, if they are used properally, it could be a golden age! (well if I had some, it would be a diamond age here! only joking!)

Quote:Original post by Raduprv
As you know, Nasa is planning to send humans on Mars in 2050 or so.
Mars suffers from not enough atmosphere. If it had a denser atmosphere (especially greenhouse gases such as methane and CO2) the temperature there would be warmer, and the pressue would be better suited for life forms.

On the other hand, Venus has a lot of CO2, and the pressure and temperature are too much for known life forms (especially for humans).

For the time being we do not have the technology to do this, but with the advancements in nano technology and new materials, wouldn't it be possible in the future (maybe 500 years from now) to build some very elastic and flexible pipe between those two planets, and pump the CO2 from Venus to Mars?
If we could manage to do that, both Mars and Venus would have a climate pretty close to the one on Earth, so we could colonize them without building space domes and stuff like that. We could directly walk on their surface, without any protective gear.

Hi, I'm Daniel Grinton, but most of you know me as AnonymousPosterChild or "That jackass who keeps posting on gamedev." I'm here to talk to you all about a serious issue that plagues us all:

The lack of proper funding and classes in our public schools.

As you can see in the 2 above posts, neither of these children have any idea what they're talking about. This needs to end. Please consider making a cash donation to your local schools. We need to eliminate this sort of ignorance once and for all.

Thank you for your time.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Excuse me, but I started by saying I dont know much about nano tech, and everything that I was talking about, I saw on the discovery chanel last night, I thought it was a joke, but they were going on about nano tech and how it would soon be available.
>wilhil<
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
[...] build some very elastic and flexible pipe between those two planets, and pump the CO2 from Venus to Mars? [...]

This is the funniest thing I've read for the whole day.
Rating++ for the good joke.

Quote:Original post by Vanke
This won't work. It would work if....
Both mars and venus orbited the sun in sync.
You could manufacture a hose that was millions of kilometres long.
You could manufacture pumps strong enough to transfer atmosphere from one planet to another.
WE could breathe acid, since that's what the atmosphere of venus is.

You forgot the part where Earth would cross that pipe :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement