• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

What is the meaning of life?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
551 replies to this topic

#1 programwizard   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

I recently saw the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Allie asks Ray why God has put us on Earth, and this sparks a huge disscussion on what the meaning of life is. At first I dissmissed it as a funny little episode (and it was funny), but the more I thought about it, I started to take it seriously; what is the meaning of life? Why do I get up, go to school, come home, and then work on my games? Some people would say it's because being a hobo sucks, but I want something more. After several (serious) meditation sessions, I came upon the conclusion that the meaning of life is to fight evil. If you think about it, every "good" thing in life breeds happiness, which repels sorrow, which is just another derrivitive of evil. However, my logic may be flawed, and I would love to get your opinions. And please, no stupid answers (i.e. the meaning of life is to score with hot chicks). Shoot.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

Sponsor:

#2 stylin   Members   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

Hmmm ... the meaning of my life is to be happy. Plain and simple.
:stylin: "Make games, not war."
"...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid

#3 load_bitmap_file   Members   -  Reputation: 826

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

According to my friend, the meaning of life is to delay the inevitable.

#4 jfclavette   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

Have fun while it last. If there's an after-life, there'll be time enough to ask yourself the question there. If there isn't, well no one cares about the answer anyway.

#5 GreenToad   Members   -  Reputation: 320

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

The "fighting evil" theory runs into problems when it comes to defining what is good and what is evil.

Personally, I think there is no single all encompassing answer to the meaning of life. I think life has as much meaning as you give it. My purpose in life is to continue living and to have fun doing it, and that's good enough for me.

#6 SticksandStones   Members   -  Reputation: 629

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:54 AM

To do as much as you can before you die.

#7 Gametaku   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:55 AM

#8 Hedos   Members   -  Reputation: 674

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

Life has no meaning.
You can define a meaning which suits you, but that's as far as it'll go, it is completely subjective.

#9 kryat   Members   -  Reputation: 685

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
Hogarth Hughes: I know you feel bad about the deer, but it's not your fault. Things die. That's part of life. It's bad to kill, but it's not bad to die.
The Iron Giant: You die?
Hogarth Hughes: Well, yes, someday.
The Iron Giant: I die?
Hogarth Hughes: I don't know. You're made of metal, but you have feelings, and you think about things, and that means you have a soul. And souls don't die.
The Iron Giant: Soul?
Hogarth Hughes: Mom says it's something inside of all good things, and that it goes on forever and ever.
[Hogarth leaves. The Iron Giant lays back to look at the stars]
The Iron Giant: Souls don't die.

#10 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

c'mon now

#11 LessBread   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1411

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

The "Meaning of Life" was a popular Monty Python movie released in the early 1980's. It featured memorable songs like "Every Sperm is Sacred" as well as a host of skits concerning this most serious of questions.

#12 Phineas   Members   -  Reputation: 241

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
I came upon the conclusion that the meaning of life is to fight evil. If you think about it, every "good" thing in life breeds happiness, which repels sorrow, which is just another derrivitive of evil.

If what is good breeds happiness, and what is bad must be eliminated, how do we know which wordly things are good and which are bad? More specifically, what is something good? Is it a raise, a new car, or, even, a long period of time set aside for working on your game? What is something bad? Is it a terrorist, outsourcing, or EA games? Would you say these things are good and bad?

#13 programwizard   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

I still have trouble believing that the meaning of life is to just have fun with it; after all, if Heaven is the most perfect place in the universe, why didn't God just keep all souls up there instead of sending them down into these bodies, however short a time period it may be for? If you were in a place that was perfect, I think it would be pretty fun.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

#14 Eelco   Members   -  Reputation: 301

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:07 AM

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
And please, no stupid answers (i.e. the meaning of life is to score with hot chicks). Shoot.

ironically, thats quite close to the truth.

the meaning of life can simply be derived from its definition: definition: it multiplies -> meaning: multiplication.

ofcource you are free to step away from that definition and its implication, either by killing yourself or otherwise just not multiplying, and redefine the meaning of your life. it is quite pointless though.

#15 spacemonkeystudios   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

(Goddamn, beaten to it by miles...)
-steve_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]

#16 programwizard   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
Original post by Phineas

If what is good breeds happiness, and what is bad must be eliminated, how do we know which wordly things are good and which are bad? More specifically, what is something good? Is it a raise, a new car, or, even, a long period of time set aside for working on your game? What is something bad? Is it a terrorist, outsourcing, or EA games? Would you say these things are good and bad?

I would define good things as things that bring happiness without taking it away at the same time, and evil things as things that either take away happiness, or give it, but take some away from another place at the same time.

#17 Instruo   Members   -  Reputation: 373

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

Though I know that there are some on here that would disagree, I believe there is a clearly defined purpose for human life. One of the greatest things I've learned in the process since becoming a Christian is that God does indeed have a plan and a desire for our lives. This may not be the popular opinion, and undoubtedly some people will completely disregard or become inflamed by me simply using the "C" or "G" words, but this is the Truth as I've lived it. Anyone willing to look into this more should check out this link; it's some sample chapters from one of my personal favorite book about learning the live the Christian "Purpose Driven Life". Enjoy!

#18 programwizard   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
Original post by spacemonkeystudios

OT: Haven't seen that movie yet, but I want to :). Back OT.

#19 Mage2k   Members   -  Reputation: 336

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
Original post by LessBread
The "Meaning of Life" was a popular Monty Python movie released in the early 1980's. It featured memorable songs like "Every Sperm is Sacred" as well as a host of skits concerning this most serious of questions.
Wasn't that the one with the skit about the teacher (John Cleese, I believe) who, for sex-ed, brings in his wife for a live demonstration for the class? That was freakin' hilarious.

Mage2k

#20 Eelco   Members   -  Reputation: 301

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
Original post by Mage2k
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Wasn't that the one with the skit about the teacher (John Cleese, I believe) who, for sex-ed, brings in his wife for a live demonstration for the class? That was freakin' hilarious.

Mage2k

yes

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS