• Create Account

3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
167 replies to this topic

#21 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

Quote:
Original post by u235
I'll volunteer as a judge. Due to my work schedule I won't be able to participate, but I'll be able to do some judging.
Um, if you don't have 3 hours then you don't have time to properly judge IMO, unless only a few entries take place.

Can't decide whether to try entering. I'm so used to setting up a decent framework that after 3 hours I'd probably have just got ready to start! Maybe I'll do a practice run on one of the last two themes and see how it goes.

Sponsor:

#22 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3328

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

Dang, 10am your time equals 4am to 7am in my time. I doubt i'll get that done.

Arrrrrrrr. No cookies for me :)

#23 aidan_walsh   Members   -  Reputation: 739

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
aidan_walsh: You should specify what you mean. I'm guessing you mean USD $75?

You mean $ isn't universally recognised as USD? [wink]

I kid, yes I should have specified. Of course should someone outside the US win, the voucher will be of the same value, and they can choose an Amazon local closest to them if they wish.

www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)

#24 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1622

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:29 AM

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
Dang, 10am your time equals 4am to 7am in my time. I doubt i'll get that done.

Arrrrrrrr. No cookies for me :)

unless the changed the timezone, 10am in the US (east coast) is about 3pm in Austria, unless someone has moved Austria on me without telling.

#25 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3328

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

Quote:
Original post by Talroth

unless the changed the timezone, 10am in the US (east coast) is about 3pm in Austria, unless someone has moved Austria on me without telling.

*shame*

Yep, subtracted instead of added the difference. There ought to be a link to a online world time calculator that shows a time in the users timezone.

But still no can do. This day i've got an appointment. The only one this month. Grnargh.

#26 Scyllinice   Members   -  Reputation: 707

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:20 AM

I can judge.

Base system:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 gig of RAM
Nvidia 6600GT (AGP)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Operating System can either be SuSE Linux 10.0 x86_64 or Windows XP Pro SP2 (32 bit).

I've got an older system that may be used as well

P3 866 mhz
256 megs of RAM
Nvidia TNT 2 card
Integrated Sound

Even have a Pentium 2 500mhz machine I can use if we want to go that low :P

#27 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1622

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:21 AM

oh, want to go low? I have a (mostly) working Pentium1-100mhz, with 40mb ram, and a 2mb video card. Currently being used as a footstool under my desk, :)

maybe we should have a contest, who can get the best game after a week, that runs on a 100mhz or less machine?

but we're off topic.

#28 Uthman   Members   -  Reputation: 480

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

Would like to judge

Processor: PentiumM 1.6GHz + AMD3200x64
Memory: 512MB RDRAM + 1GB DDRAM
GFX: Radeon 9800Mobile + NVidia 5200
Sound: SB Audigy 2, + Some Mobo Sound System
Other Software: Java 5, .Net 1.1, .Net 2.0, DX9c (October 05), im willing do download any lib or whatever... wont be stingy about it

[Edited by - Uthman on December 7, 2005 5:29:32 PM]

#29 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

so many judges, man, we need some CONTESTANTS!
[See some of My Projects] - [Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github]

#30 xaver   Members   -  Reputation: 253

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:55 AM

Are we allowed to use any free resources as long as they are not copyrighted? Or must all of the content be created by ourselves during the 3 hours of the contest?
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed

#31 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1940

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

I would enter, except I'm busy on that particular morning. :(

#32 nagromo   Members   -  Reputation: 676

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

I think I'll probably enter.

I'll try to get some base code ready tomorrow.

#33 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

Am I right in thinking 10am EST is 3pm GMT? Or is it 5am?
Thinking about giving it a go, assuming I'm not asleep for the start (a very real possibility with *either* of those two times! :) )

#34 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14247

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

EST is GMT -500... I'm too tired/lazy to do the actual arithmetic and figure out what time that makes it for you. 3PM sounds right.

#35 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

7AM PST... I think I'll pass :(

#36 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

Quote:
Original post by DrewGreen
Am I right in thinking 10am EST is 3pm GMT? Or is it 5am?
Thinking about giving it a go, assuming I'm not asleep for the start (a very real possibility with *either* of those two times! :) )

Easiest way to check - open your windows date/time settings from the clock on your start bar and se the time-zone to GMT-5 (called Eastern something). Apply this and see what time it is - you'll find it's 3am. Then don't forget to reset your timezone to GMT!

Guess I'll not be entering after all; unless the contest can be made to run for 3 hours from when you access the theme - they use this for timing tests at university so it's possible...

#37 Trapper Zoid   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1370

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:51 PM

To check the local time in your timezone for U.S. EST, Saturday 10 a.m., you can use this link to the World Clock.

#38 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:22 AM

EST is GMT-5, that means you take GMT and you subtract 5 hours. So, you must perform the reverse operation to get GMT from EST. 10am + 5 hours = 1500 zulu. To convert from zulu notation to am/pm notation, you modulo by 1200. 1500%1200 = 3:00PM.

Maybe this should be a prerequisite to joining the contest.

On the content issue:
I would much rather see programmer art from everyone than someone use a sprite pack, even if it is public domain.

#39 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:59 AM

Oops. I moved from GMT->EST on my PC and then STILL screwed it up. Apologies if I confused anybody by sounding confident in my mistake...

Is the theme announced in this thread? And how is submission done - more importantly how strict is the 3Hr deadline? To the second, to the minute, to the hour... since a file of a few Mb can take up to an hour for me to download it's an issue - I'll try to keep it small! Probably no way around it though.

#40 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:39 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Oops. I moved from GMT->EST on my PC and then STILL screwed it up. Apologies if I confused anybody by sounding confident in my mistake...

Is the theme announced in this thread? And how is submission done - more importantly how strict is the 3Hr deadline? To the second, to the minute, to the hour... since a file of a few Mb can take up to an hour for me to download it's an issue - I'll try to keep it small! Probably no way around it though.

theme isn't announced until 15 minutes before the start of the contest. I do have something in mind, but I have to keep it secret as a measure of preventing people from starting too early. Sure, I'm allowing base code, but the design itself is pretty much dependent on the theme.

Submission is done as this: I should receive a message from you in some way that directly connects me to download your submission. You could attach it an email, or you could host it on a site and send me a link, or whatever.

Timeline: I'll take it on confidence that if you post to say you are sending it, but because you're on 56k it's going to take an hour, then I'll believe you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS