• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
167 replies to this topic

#41 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1594

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

The amount of coding you have to do for this contest is not trivial, but it shouldn't be daunting either. This contest isn't a test of coding skill, in the strictest sense. Yes, you need to be a confident coder in order to do well in this contest, but typically speaking the judges machines are beefy enough to not require a lot of optimization out of you.

Ideally, this contest is about game concepts and design. That's why I allow the base code, I want to see people reallize their ideas. I want people to pick a small kernel of an idea, and make it grow REALLY FREAKING FAST. This contest is about getting those ideas out, not just for people to see, but for you to see just how much you can do.

I know it's pretty cliched to say "everyone who competes is a winner". I will qualify that a little and say "everyone that completes a submission is a winner". This contest is about giving people a little target that they can strive for and ultimately accomplish. It's a self esteem boost, but primarily it's an exercise of skill. You WILL learn things along the way, you WILL learn about what works with your coding and what doesn't. And that is why "everyone" is a "winner", because you leave this contest with more knowledge than you started.

I am deeply, deeply touched by the donations of the prizes for the contest. I would have never been able to pony up the hundreds of dollars of prizes that we have offered over the lifetime of this contest. Truely (while I'm still spewing cliches), I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It shows that there are people out there that truely care about the GDNet community. The contest is about making the community grow, and it has brought out the philanthropists in a lot of people.

I can't wait to see the submissions.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Sponsor:

#42 H_o_p_s   Members   -  Reputation: 877

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:21 AM

Yay! Another one! I love these things! [grin]

#43 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:02 AM

Count me in :-)

~BenDilts( void );

#44 paulecoyote   Members   -  Reputation: 1060

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

Looks interesting 3 (4 including thinking about the theme I guess) hours of a saturday huh? Sounds like something to focus the mind :-)

#45 choffstein   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:27 AM

Quote:
(major rule change)You may use rendering frame, input manager, math library, or sound manager ANY base code that you have written, but no other code. You must may post this code in a source tag in the forum on Friday night before the competition to keep the playing field even (anyone may use it if they want), if you so choose. The judges reserve the right to veto your use of such code (hence the need for the Thursday night deadline).

So, basically, this is a contest starting whenever you see this thread until the end time? Because, theoretically, I could be working on "base code" the entire time. I mean, realistically, how would you know when I made the content? What about old images and tiles I had from old games?

I liked the old rule that gave everyone several days to look over everyone elses code. I mean, what prevents me from starting work on mine tonight and working for two days straight except for a sense of sportsmanship? I mean, how can a judge realistically say "well, this content looks like it took more than three hours to make..."?

I may or may not participate -- but I would be much happier if this were truly a three hour competition. Everything had to be done in three hours -- I think that would make everything focus on gameplay and be much, much more fun.

EDIT: OOHHHH YEAH! The whole THEME thing. God, you are so tricky ;) I <3 you. Time to go write some base code.

#46 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1594

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:07 AM

Quote:
Original post by visage
Quote:
(major rule change)You may use rendering frame, input manager, math library, or sound manager ANY base code that you have written, but no other code. You must may post this code in a source tag in the forum on Friday night before the competition to keep the playing field even (anyone may use it if they want), if you so choose. The judges reserve the right to veto your use of such code (hence the need for the Thursday night deadline).

So, basically, this is a contest starting whenever you see this thread until the end time? Because, theoretically, I could be working on "base code" the entire time. I mean, realistically, how would you know when I made the content? What about old images and tiles I had from old games?

I liked the old rule that gave everyone several days to look over everyone elses code. I mean, what prevents me from starting work on mine tonight and working for two days straight except for a sense of sportsmanship? I mean, how can a judge realistically say "well, this content looks like it took more than three hours to make..."?

I may or may not participate -- but I would be much happier if this were truly a three hour competition. Everything had to be done in three hours -- I think that would make everything focus on gameplay and be much, much more fun.

EDIT: OOHHHH YEAH! The whole THEME thing. God, you are so tricky ;) I <3 you. Time to go write some base code.

read my previous post in this thread for WHY I did it this way. Even for a contest like the 1W1B or the LD24, judges might think they could be really pendatic and check the creation time on the files, but even that is not fullproof. Who's to say that I didn't right all that code in a week, or 24 hours, or 3 hours? I can't control people that will cheat, so I try to eliminate the cheater's advantage. I can control the theme, and so this contest is not about coding, it's about design.

Plus, it gives some newly starting people (noob is too harsh of a word in this case as it implies ignorance) the chance to reallize their designs and compete at the same level as everyone else, even if their coding is less than stellar.

Sure, I can sit down with a blank project and in 3 hours knock out Pong (actually, pong only takes 27 minutes) or the stupid Block Blaster game in my showcase. But that's just retarded.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#47 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:46 AM

Entirely OT:
I was trying to post this in Capn_midnight's thread about HGE but it wouldn't let me so I'll stick it here as it's kind of relevant to 3H-GDC, in a tangential way.

You may know that HGE has gone open source - the URL is here (different to the hge.relishgames.com link. As far as I can tell it means there is no longer a need to purchase a license for shareware, though I could be wrong here - I'm using HGE myself so if anyone could update me on exactly what the procedure is (if licensing is still needed) I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm intending to make any competition entry into shareware!

I also direct your attention to the following posts:

LGPL "announcement" http://relishgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=987

Opening logo removal: (works with 1.53 precompiled library as well) http://relishgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1033. I agree with the comment about crediting HGE somewhere in your work of course.

And in fact this forum in general.

#48 markr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1653

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

I probably won't enter, because I'll be working on my Ludum Dare 48hr competition entry.

If on the other hand, something catastrophic happens which stops me entering LD48, but I can still enter this, I will do

Mark

#49 xaver   Members   -  Reputation: 253

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
Original post by DrewGreen
Entirely OT:
I was trying to post this in Capn_midnight's thread about HGE but it wouldn't let me so I'll stick it here as it's kind of relevant to 3H-GDC, in a tangential way.

You may know that HGE has gone open source - the URL is here (different to the hge.relishgames.com link. As far as I can tell it means there is no longer a need to purchase a license for shareware, though I could be wrong here - I'm using HGE myself so if anyone could update me on exactly what the procedure is (if licensing is still needed) I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm intending to make any competition entry into shareware!

HGE is uses the BASS sound library for music and sound effects, but BASS is not open source. You must still purchase a license for BASS if you want to make shareware (it's still free for non-commerical use). However, there is talk about using OpenAL and getting rid of the BASS functions.
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed

#50 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:46 PM

True, true. Assuming you don't want to pay for BASS (and it's a pretty good library in it's own right), would using something else instead of HGE's sound features be ok though (& not distributing bass.dll with the app)?

I would guess that'd be fine - either by modifying the sound parts of the HGE source or just using a separate lib - OpenAL as you say or DirectSound etc

#51 xaver   Members   -  Reputation: 253

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

Yep, that's correct. Just make sure to set the HGE_USESOUND state to false, remove bass.dll, and you can use whatever sound library you want.
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed

#52 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 783

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

I'm thinking I'll probably enter, but I'm not sure if any of my base code is suitable - what with it being 3D and such. I guess maybe my 1W1B2 code might work but I wish I had some base code that let you do all that SetPixel(x,y) stuff that was so easy 10 years ago and now requires substantial base-code in D3D!
I'm thinking I might try tonight to write an entry on one of the last two themes and see if my code is suitable. Although Fire is a tricky one since I'd spend all my time trying to make a decent fire effect!

#53 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
[...]I wish I had some base code that let you do all that SetPixel(x,y) stuff that was so easy 10 years ago and now requires substantial base-code in D3D![...]
Actually, it is very very easy to create such a thing, just don't use direct X. Use DIBs instead, and you get what amounts to a simple pixel buffer that you can manipulate directly or through the windows GDI functions (for text, basic shapes, etc).

#54 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 783

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:53 AM

Well yes it IS easy to set up a framework - though I'd certainly use DDraw instead of GDI if I wanted anything much to be drawn. I guess also I could have a dynamic texure in D3D which you set pixels in; this is then drawn on a single quad - easy to set up to give your 'frame-buffer'.

The thing is, whether I can be bothered to do this, and if I could if I would want to write that today and immediately use it tomorrow without testing it...

#55 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1594

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Well yes it IS easy to set up a framework - though I'd certainly use DDraw instead of GDI if I wanted anything much to be drawn. I guess also I could have a dynamic texure in D3D which you set pixels in; this is then drawn on a single quad - easy to set up to give your 'frame-buffer'.

The thing is, whether I can be bothered to do this, and if I could if I would want to write that today and immediately use it tomorrow without testing it...

actually, GDI+ is prefect for this contest. It's simple, it has a decent level of performance, and it doesn't require the judges to have any special libraries (remember, if you do require 3rd party libraries, you must distribute them with your submission in a manner that allows the game to be ran immediately, there should be no installation process other than "unzip submission file")

For submissions, you will email either the archive file or a link to the file to capn dot midnight at gmail dot com (replace dots and ats appropriately). gmail has a 10mb file limit. It also does not accept zip files, so I suggest you rename the extension to .txt and then I will rename it to .zip when I receive it. If you use some other form of compression than zip, please specify this. I use WinRAR on my judging machine. I don't know what formats it supports, but I do know it supports tarballs.

#56 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg

Solution
Tutorials start off with an opengl pixel display & eventually start to use DX.

#57 nagromo   Members   -  Reputation: 676

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:45 AM

Or you could just use SDL. I think that's what I'll be doing for this contest.

#58 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1594

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:48 AM

SDL, Allegro, Haaf, GDI+, they're all good choices for this contest. There is also a game sdk from PopCap Games. PopCap is intersting because they will even distribute your game if they like it, it's an open call for games made with their framework.

#59 Michalson   Members   -  Reputation: 1657

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:02 AM

So are we confirmed that it will start 10AM EST tommorow?

EDIT: Yep, we are. First post has been edited to show timezone.

#60 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg

You could use DDRAW, but GDI would be plenty performant as long as you keep the resolution down and use things like BitBlt instead of memcpy to move image parts (because it can be hardware accelerated). At work I have an application that use a DIB to scroll a 1280*X image image 1 line at a time and it works fine. The only catch is that StretchBlt (StretchDIBits acts in inconsistant ways on some hardware so avoid it) is very slow when doing massive resizing, so the application does a rezise manually as it loads each line from the harddrive 20 times a second. Yes, that's right - it used DIBits and constantly reads the harddrive and easily gets 20 'FPS' (the required number). It uses under 5% cpu in an optimized build because of all the I/O waits, and still gets 20 FPS doing everything manually.

[Edited by - Extrarius on December 9, 2005 2:28:20 PM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS