• Create Account

3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
167 replies to this topic

#81 Uthman   Members   -  Reputation: 480

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:56 AM

Good luck everyone, one minute to go =) Maybe I should do an entry >.>

Sponsor:

#82 choffstein   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:56 AM

UGH! Didn't make it. I need about 20 more minutes. Im going to finish it up anyway.

Congrats to everyone who finished.

#83 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1381

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:58 AM

Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
Final submission uploaded at http://members.gamedev.net/bag-of-holding/CartRunner.zip

I'm looking through the rules to see if I needed to email this to someone (I have a vague memory that I do, but my adrenaline levels are way too high [grin] )

it's a little further up, but this is fine.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#84 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 716

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:00 AM

I've finished and am uploading, but got to do that on dial up so it's slow!

#85 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1381

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:01 AM

alright, time's up. get them submissions in.

email them to capn dot midnight at gmail dot com

or post a link here

or email the link

or pm me the link

whatever

gmail doesn't take zip files, so rename your extension to .txt and I'll rename it back.

judging will probably take all day.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#86 Uthman   Members   -  Reputation: 480

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:03 AM

have you selected the judges yet?

#87 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:03 AM

Where do I submit?

#88 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:05 AM

Typical, posted dead on time & ww2 is throwing me out to a service agreement page for some reason :(

Finished - the timestamp says 18:03 but that's because I recompiled it after the ww2 incident to correct the title and log filename (no changes to game after 18:00)

International Cart Racing

edit: collision detection is a little dodgy, haven't tested for many bugs - Ones I found & haven't fixed: score is a long int & may wrap round eventually, rocks & cars may overlap incorrectly sometimes, rock has an artefact which could be fixed by moving it up a few pixels in the png.

Description:
After a night out on the town you need to get home, but drink driving is for idiots, so you choose the safest alternative - shopping trolleys! Wheel your drunken friend home and avoid the cars and friendly-looking rocks or you'll end up in the hospital A&E department.
Collect the beer bottles (or maybe wine bottles.. go programmer art!) for a bigger score, but watch out, drink too many and you'll think you're invincible and start to pick up the pace...

There's no "winning" end to this game, keep going till you lose all your lives.

edit2: controls - right, up & down cursor keys
& another bug - shopping cart appears over car when it should appear behind it (pretty sure i'd fixed this..)
Basecode used: HGE tutorial 2.

[Edited by - DrewGreen on December 10, 2005 1:05:29 PM]

#89 Michalson   Members   -  Reputation: 1657

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:05 AM

I spent way too long on graphics, giving myself only 30 minutes to write the game.

Extreme Amish Cart Racing

Incomplete - there is no real gameplay because there is no collision detection or proper level generation. Also, because there is nothing to check if you are done the course, the game will throw an out of bounds exception after about 15 minutes of continous racing.

#90 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14664

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:06 AM

AGGGHHH! Bug killed me. The submitted version doesn't continue to the second level properly because of an input detection glitch.

I know I'm over time so I don't expect this version to be judged, but if you're feeling generous... [grin]

http://members.gamedev.net/bag-of-holding/CartRunnerFixed.zip

#91 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:11 AM

Ummm... Race the computer to get the sweet Christmas gifts into your cart.

Ghetto, but it kind of works. I can't understand why I couldn't get colorkeying working. Oh, well.

Note: Uses VC7.1 debug libraries (keyboard wouldn't work under release mode)

~BenDilts( void );

[Edited by - BeanDog on December 10, 2005 12:11:33 PM]

#92 xaver   Members   -  Reputation: 253

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:18 AM

Mine is very simple, click on the carts to get money. They travel faster though depending on the amount of money you have.

Q Carts (you know, like Q basic )
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed

#93 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 716

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:22 AM

http://www.freewebs.com/d000hg/d000hg_3HourIV.zip

Hooray (stupid hosting nightmare over.

You need to right-click and do 'save-as...' or (in some browsers) paste the link into your address-bar. It's a bit crummy but you must escape a supermarket with you awkward cart. Check out my advanced animation.

Unfortunately there's only one level, and getting penalties doesn't affect your time - but we can see who can get the best time...! It's only about 350K by the way.

#94 H_o_p_s   Members   -  Reputation: 877

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:25 AM

CARTS.zip launch CARTS_Main.class
This is for the "Cultural Arts Resources for Teachers and Students" for Color recognition. It is basically a Simon clone... took longer than I thought, and still doesn't have sound :\

But as a side note, I wrote all of the code in it within 3:30 hours, and used no external sources... I'll get a screeny here soon...

to run it simply do a 'java PATH_TO_FILE\CARTS_Main'

The keys you need are the directional buttons.

#95 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1381

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:29 AM

it's good to see so many submissions.

making up a page for them right now

#96 nagromo   Members   -  Reputation: 676

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:32 AM

Well, I didn't finish. It's not playable yet; if only it had been a 4 hour contest!

Here's what I did by the end of the contest.

[Edited by - nagromo on December 10, 2005 1:32:03 PM]

#97 EvilMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:45 AM

well... I didn't finish within the time limit. Actually, I didn't finish at all. Anyways... here is what I wrote in 3 hours:

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~tavakoli/cart.zip

It's inspired by the Donkey Kong mine cart levels. :)

#98 choffstein   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:19 AM

Well, here is my entry. I call it "Super Shopping Cart Man." Basically, the plot is that it is the night before christmas, you forgot to get gifts, and now with your amazing shoppings powers you must gather as many gifts as possible without hitting other people!

As for the download: here you go.

J to jump, space to start the game. Collect as many presents without crashing. No real "winning" per se. Yes, the speed going faster and slower is on purpose, just as the double jump.

I certainly learned a lot. Writing my engine before hand was great -- but I tried to add too many things last minute, and I have a lot of features I never even used (motion blur, et cetera).

Also, my code is crap. Trying to debug was awful, because it was a total mess. Under pressure, I resort to terrible names and poor design.

Also, I forgot java wasn't c++, which caused some errors when I was expecting certain destructors to be called and they weren't. Required some more hackish code.

Anyway, should crash most browsers on close. I recommend appletviewer on the .html file.

Anyway, maybe next time.

[Edited by - visage on December 10, 2005 3:19:19 PM]

#99 Uthman   Members   -  Reputation: 480

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

visage - how the hell are you supposed to play your game?

#100 choffstein   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:13 AM

Oh, crap, you were supposed to be able to play them?!

Anyway, just load of the .html file, or use your favorite applet viewer (build from source or 'appletviewer example1.html' from command line). Controls: press 'j' to jump, space to begin. Double jumps are allowed, but your performance on the double jump is affected by the timing after the first. For example, pressing j twice will shoot your really high if it is one after the other. On the other hand, trying to jump mid downswing won't get you far at all.

Good luck.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS