• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

3H-GDC m.IV (Winners announced)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
167 replies to this topic

#121 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 828

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:52 AM

Any idea when to expect results - it seemed like we have about 14 judges!

Oh and your [3H-GDC] signature link goes to some old page which doesn't have Version III or IV of the contest.

It seems clear that ApochPiQ's is your favourite entry; when you list your comments is that your scoring from 1-8 or just your comments in some order? Thanks for saying the game required some skill - I was a bit disappointed that I got the game framework up and then couldn't implement the original idea (a trolley-dash) in time.

Sponsor:

#122 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1641

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:54 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Any idea when to expect results - it seemed like we have about 14 judges!

Oh and your [3H-GDC] signature link goes to some old page which doesn't have Version III or IV of the contest.

It seems clear that ApochPiQ's is your favourite entry; when you list your comments is that your scoring from 1-8 or just your comments in some order? Thanks for saying the game required some skill - I was a bit disappointed that I got the game framework up and then couldn't implement the original idea (a trolley-dash) in time.

yeah, I don't know what they are doing, I sent them PMs. There aren't 14, it's more like 5, but they seem to have dissappeared.

yes, the order is my ranking.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#123 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 828

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:49 AM

Sorry to all the veteran 3H-GDC'ers, but how is the scoring done? Each entry gets a score of 1-8 from each judge and they're averaged out? Or have you scored games out of 10 in some categories and you just posted the summary?

Thanks.

#124 u235   Members   -  Reputation: 359

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:04 AM

Is it too late for me to judge? I was supposed to be a judge but i didn't even get the PM from capn_midnight that the subbmissions were ready for judging. Plus I work rotating shift work, graveyard shift this week and I didn't even realize what day it was. So if I can still get some judging in, let me know.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...

#125 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1641

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Sorry to all the veteran 3H-GDC'ers, but how is the scoring done? Each entry gets a score of 1-8 from each judge and they're averaged out? Or have you scored games out of 10 in some categories and you just posted the summary?

Thanks.

it's a runoff vote. I can't really explain it, because I use a tool to do the calculations. Basically you rank everyone from 1st to last, first being best, and then the runoff vote combines each of the judges selections.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#126 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1641

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
Original post by u235
Is it too late for me to judge? I was supposed to be a judge but i didn't even get the PM from capn_midnight that the subbmissions were ready for judging. Plus I work rotating shift work, graveyard shift this week and I didn't even realize what day it was. So if I can still get some judging in, let me know.

-AJ

no, it's not too late. That's weird that you didn't receive the pm, because I'm pretty sure I sent one.

#127 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1641

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:46 AM

Oh, I see the problem, apparently the PM system is bugged, you don't get notifications correctly when they arrive.

Quote:
Original post by Talroth
Not totaly sure how you are expecting my judgments, so I'll just give my thoughts here.

My vote for First Place:
International Cart Racing (DrewGreen)
Very good, very fun, could use better collision detection.

Second:
CartRunner (ApochPiQ)

Fun, sounds are a little annoying.
Controls, not bad, a little flaky.

3rd: (tied)
Q carts (Xaver)
Very good, nice, could use a better scoring system and a large boarder.
Game play could use something more than just "click",...

Or:
d0000hg-3 Hour Contest IV
not bad, could have used some varations in levels.

BeanDog's just won't run on my system, run the exe and I get nothing, no errors or anything.

Farmers Cart (Nagromo)
Corrupt zip? not running. Could you get their files to work right?

CARTS H_O_P_S
not bad as far as building a pattern,... this has what to do with carts?

ExtremeAmishCartRacing. (Michalson)
looks ok for 3 hours, but gameplay is unfinished. Sadly, you can't judge on what it could have been,

#128 DrewGreen   Members   -  Reputation: 370

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:33 AM

My Post-mortem & source

#129 u235   Members   -  Reputation: 359

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
no, it's not too late. That's weird that you didn't receive the pm, because I'm pretty sure I sent one.

Do I just post my thoughts here or send them to you. If the latter, where? PM, e-mail?

-AJ

V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...

#130 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1641

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Original post by u235
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight

Do I just post my thoughts here or send them to you. If the latter, where? PM, e-mail?

-AJ

just post them here.

#131 Trapper Zoid   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1370

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

I've played through these a bit now, so it's probably time to post my opinions!

First of all, I'd like to apologise to Michalson; for some reason I just can't seem to get the right version of .NET running on my computer, so I can't test out Extreme Amish Cart Racing. I've been holding off posting my views until I got your game working, but it seem I'm cursed this week. Since it's been a couple of days since I've played the others I can't really spend more time on trying to get it to work though.

Secondly, I'm very impressed with how well all of these turned out, given the harsh time constraints; even the ones that weren't finished.

Here's my votes, based on how fun the gameplay is to me:

First: ApochPiQ - Cart Runner

This is my favourite by a fair margin, as this game is actually quite fun. I love the dynamics of steering the cart around. I think having sound effects (despite them being bit rough) add a significant part to the enjoyment of the game.

Second: DrewGreen - International Cart Racing

I liked this one a fair bit too. The whole concept of drunken stickmen racing in a shopping cart was great (especially with the wobbling cart). My only gripe was that the collision detection seemed a bit hard for me to judge (understandable given the time constraints involved).

Third: d000hg - 3 Hour IV

This was close to being second, because I quite liked the concept of avoiding the supermarket stands while navigating through a maze. I really liked the feel of the shopping cart; a good balance of "hard to control" with maneuverability. My main problem was that the exit was hard to figure out; I thought it was the little sign when it was actually the right-hand edge. If you had the time I'd have also put in some feedback whenever the cart hit the wall.

Fourth: BeanDog - Carts

I liked the idea of the "mad shopping spree", and this could have been quite good. However, there wasn't really an objective to this game; I wasn't sure what you had to do to win. The CPU player was probably a little bit too ambitious for a three hour project! I also think if you'd put some transparency around the sprites this would have looked a lot better; it's rather ugly with those white boxes. There's also a bug in the map where your cart seems to get permanently stuck in a little nook with one of the consoles.

Fifth: H_o_p_s - CARTS

The classic game of "Simon"! However, I think the link between this and "CARTS", even the Cultural Arts Resources for Teachers and Students, was a little bit far-fetched. Maybe if the game was about paper mache or quilt making then I'd see the link.

Sixth: xaver - Q Carts

"Clicking on as many carts as you can" is okay as a game, but there didn't seem to be an end to this game, or a timer involved, so as a game it doesn't really have a point. It needs something more in order for it be entertaining; just clicking on stuff gets dull rather quickly. I also thought the link with carts was a bit stretched; any noun would work with "Click on the X".

Seventh: nagromo - Farmer's Cart

This looked like it had good potential with the dive bombing birds, but it's unfortunate that you ran out of time to implement the gameplay. I liked the hand-drawn graphics though; it has charm in it's own way.

Unranked: Michalson - Extreme Amish Cart Racing

Unfortunately I couldn't get the right version of .NET in order to run this, and due to complications with my internet it's a bit of a hassle to keep on trying (this is the reason why I've delayed posting my results for two days). If it's true that you weren't able to implement the core components of the gameplay then I probably couldn't rank this higher than seventh, though.

#132 xaver   Members   -  Reputation: 253

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

I didn't really get to finish my entry, but at least it runs . The timing of the contest threw me off; I didn't actually start until 1.5 hours past start time :( It also didn't help that my base code was very sloppy.

I scribbled up some quick stuff in Paint Shop Pro for the background and cart. By the time I got to designing gameplay, time was up, so I just submitted what I had at the time.
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed

#133 Prozak   Members   -  Reputation: 878

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:58 PM

I said I would have liked to judge, but truth is I've really been swamped in work this week, I'll probably only have time to look at the entries tomorrow night.

I'll leave it up to capn to decide if there is enough judging entries already.

As allways, congrats to all the contestants, from what I hear it was another great show [wink].

#134 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 828

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=363764

I started grouping all the scores into one easily-read page. I'll update it as more scores come in. Thought some of you might find it useful.

Talroth, is that right you've only given a 1st, 2nd and (tied) 3rd place?

#135 u235   Members   -  Reputation: 359

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

Unfortunatley I couldn't get most of the games to run due to run time errors mostly. One said that it wasn't meant to be a stand alone application and exited, I couldn't get the one written in Java to run using the instructions so I made a web page and tried to use it that way but that didn't work either. The rest gave me that little wondows popup that says "an error occured, would you like to send it to MS or not?" The four that I got running are critiqued below:

DrewGreen: Pros-Very smooth graphics, very playable, fun, not too difficult to get used to.
Cons-I realize you only had three hours, but starting over after game over would have been nice, instead of having to restart every time.

Michalson: Got it running, but all I got were a bunch of pink tiles with Xs in them, so I am unable to judge yours.

xaver: Pros: I liked it alot, very simple premise, yet very easy to get lost in.
Cons: Only thing I can think of is that I think the faster the carts traveled, the more money they should be worth, but that is just a matter of preference and will not count against you.

ApochPiQ: Pros: I like the usage of text for the graphics and the sounds were pretty good.
Cons: Don't know about anyone else but I found it pretty hard to get a hold of. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the steering worked for a while.

I apologize to those whose games I couldn't get running and sincerely hope that the votes of the other judges are enough to help you win if your game merits it. All in all my ranking is this:

1st: xaver
2nd: DrewGreen
3rd: ApochPiQ
4th: Michalson

Congrats to everyone who was able to push out a game in 3 hours. It takes talent.

-AJ

#136 kSquared   Members   -  Reputation: 1356

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg

Thanks.

I believe capn_midnight is using IRV. It's good for these sorts of "pick your favorite" contests.

#137 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 828

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:18 AM

Quote:
Original post by u235
Unfortunatley I couldn't get most of the games to run due to run time errors mostly. One said that it wasn't meant to be a stand alone application and exited, I couldn't get the one written in Java to run using the instructions so I made a web page and tried to use it that way but that didn't work either. The rest gave me that little wondows popup that says "an error occured, would you like to send it to MS or not?" The four that I got running are critiqued below:
1st: xaver
2nd: DrewGreen
3rd: ApochPiQ
4th: Michalson

Congrats to everyone who was able to push out a game in 3 hours. It takes talent.

-AJ
What PC are you using? Seems odd so many wouldn't work, and I thought mine was using pretty solid DX8.1 code. You must have DX9 though to get Michalson's to run (amusing he got 4th!) - can you PM me since I'm always keen to track down errors? You should have a log.html file you could send me, and a screenshot of any popups... oh and you did get the fixed .zip file because the first one was corrupted?

#138 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 828

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:22 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=363764

I started grouping all the scores into one easily-read page. I'll update it as more scores come in. Thought some of you might find it useful.

Talroth, is that right you've only given a 1st, 2nd and (tied) 3rd place?

Updated with u235's results.

Capn, does the eventual scoring take all judges into account? Both myself & Beandog are in contention for 3rd place but both (more so for Beandog) suffer from missing scores. It shouldn't make much difference to me missing one result since the judges are pretty much in agreement but Beandog could drop to 6th/7th depending on what scheme is used...
Do we have many more judges left to go btw?

#139 u235   Members   -  Reputation: 359

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:14 AM

capn_midnight:

I've got a bit of a problem. In the case of d000hg's game, the reason I couldn't play it was due images that didn't make it into the zip file which caused his game to crash when the program tried to make textures out of them. Would it be legal if he sent me the missing images so I could play his game again and give him a proper score? Thanks.

-AJ

#140 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 828

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:52 AM

Bizarre. Anyone else have problems with it?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS