I'm an Audio Engineer - Ask me a question!

Started by
57 comments, last by anthemaudio 18 years, 3 months ago
How to record/create sound effects? MIDI/MP3/*T music? Voiceover and voice acting? Fire away! I'm the audio engineer for VoiceOver LA AND I'm the voice of Nightmare in Soul Caliber 3!!! WHATS REALLY GOOD!
Advertisement
Does God exist?
- blew
Quote:Original post by Blew
Does God exist?

To get proper foot step sounds, take off your shoes and put them on your hands. Then put a mic between a spot in your house where you have access to the mose types of floors (carpet, wood, concrete, tile, etc) then record individual light steps, medium, then heavy. Don't forget to make sure you have a good level and that the mic is close so you don't pick up room noise.

Don't forget to setup your mic stand and preamp levels while the shoes are on your hands. This makes it frustrating and thus, funny for everyone watching you.
Will there ever be another game with the sound effects quality of Thief?
Programming since 1995.
Hehe! Sweet.

Sorry but i couldn't resist. [grin]

You know, one can learn a lot from audio recording watching the Lord of the Rings documentaries in the extended versions. I did!

Now, what microfones would you recommend to record the kind of sound you just described? And be reasonable, money-wise. :/
- blew
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
Will there ever be another game with the sound effects quality of Thief?

Have you played F.E.A.R.? If you can get the audio to work (there are some codec issues) you'll love it.
- blew
Quote:Original post by Blew
Hehe! Sweet.

Sorry but i couldn't resist. [grin]

You know, one can learn a lot from audio recording watching the Lord of the Rings documentaries in the extended versions. I did!

Now, what microfones would you recommend to record the kind of sound you just described? And be reasonable, money-wise. :/

For sound effects, its all about hyper-realism to emphasize on the detail that sound is made of. And nothing says "IN YO FACE, MUFUCKAZ!" like a shotgun mic. Sennheiser 416. Expensive... but rentable!

The sound you are capturing determines what you are to use. Using something really loud and want to capture it? I'd use several mics at different locations. Dynamics up front and condensers far. Say your capturing something really light? Condenser on it.

With that in mind, the never-go-wrong dynamic is the Shure 57.
For condensor, overhead mics would work, such as the Rode NT. These are budget mics that will get stuff done.

But for most sounds, stock libraries are always good, too :D
I once tried to simulate the sound of a sword slicing through air. I tried recording the sound of a knife swiping and it didn't work. I tried a hanger and it sounded better but it was better but still pretty bad. What would be the best approach to getting that affect?

Also, how good is SRS WOW?
Programming since 1995.
Quote:Original post by ghetalion
For sound effects, its all about hyper-realism to emphasize on the detail that sound is made of. And nothing says "IN YO FACE, MUFUCKAZ!" like a shotgun mic. Sennheiser 416. Expensive... but rentable!

The sound you are capturing determines what you are to use. Using something really loud and want to capture it? I'd use several mics at different locations. Dynamics up front and condensers far. Say your capturing something really light? Condenser on it.

With that in mind, the never-go-wrong dynamic is the Shure 57.
For condensor, overhead mics would work, such as the Rode NT. These are budget mics that will get stuff done.

But for most sounds, stock libraries are always good, too :D

That was great help. Thanks. :)
What about to record voice? What's your recomendation, enlighten one? :P
- blew
Recommendations of the following would be appreciated:

capturing wooosh type sounds.
capturing fire type sounds.
catpturing explosions. (slow down a firework maybe?)

also antyhing else you think is interesting. Like I know celery works great for bone snapping sounds. Getting your hands into a melon are good for slimy sounds. Any other ood tricks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement