• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
214 replies to this topic

#161 DrPetter   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

Thevenin: A good strategy is to press up before you land to ensure that you don't put too much spin on the stars. You also have to land in the right places to avoid accumulating rotation in the same direction. I don't find the regular screen size much of a hindrance - if you can do it by "cheating" you should be able to do it legitimately too.

EDIT: Has anyone completed ToohrVyk's game yet? I think I need a walkthrough for that one, it's driving me crazy ;)

[Edited by - DrPetter on February 11, 2006 9:08:03 PM]

Sponsor:

#162 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

I definitely think this contest encourages horrible coding style :-) I just went back to look at my code, and it is awful. Everything significant is, of course, contained in Main.cpp, which is almost 750 lines long.

One major frustration I faced was finding out that when I compiled under Visual Studio 2005, the console input functions didn't work unless I was running in the debugger. In fact, I created a new console project, copied the code from Benryves' console tutorial into it, and it didn't work. That is, it worked great when I ran it in the debugger, but even the debug-mode executable wouldn't get any mouse or keyboard input if I ran it outside the debugger. I quickly recreated the project in Visual Studio 2003, problem solved. Totally wierd.

I discovered that my game gets easier as you go along :-) I guess I should've rebalanced it, but 3 hours is a very stringent time limit for something like this.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#163 Thevenin   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

I had a great deal of difficulty with ToohrVyk's submission.

Firstly, the order in which you do things are enforced. Before you can pickup an item that is described on your room description, you must look at something completly irrelvent (eg.. last stage, before the jewel you must look at the pipes?!).

Mintaka is a lever...

Secondly, some of the commands are very very precise, I won't spoil it.. so for example..

"You see twenty rounds for an ak47"
pick up twenty rounds for an ak47 - ERROR
get twenty rounds for an ak47 - ERROR
get rounds - ERROR
pick up rounds - ERROR
get ammo - ERROR
pick up ammo - ERROR
get round - CORRECT

It reminded me of that genre of games though (Spend an hour figuring out what it is you gotta type [grin]).

[Edited by - Thevenin on February 12, 2006 3:25:48 AM]

#164 DrPetter   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

BeanDog: Yeah, your game wasn't very challenging... but it sure was soothing and fun herding those stars around while listening to various kinds of music. I'm not sure what my neighbors thought about the loud schlurping noises that occured from time to time when I happened to shove an unusually large amount of stars into the hole though... I was playing this a few hours after midnight :)

#165 DrPetter   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

I did it! I beat the interpreter! Ahem... got the generic artifact at least ;)
Good clean fun even though it caused some aggression.

#166 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

Quote:
Original post by DrPetter
EDIT: scgrn - your game still crashes on my box

Did you try the bug-fixed version? I think the buggy version is still on capn's site. By the way, your game is awesome! I wish I didn't suck at it so bad..

#167 DrPetter   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

scgrn: Thanks, and I'm afraid your "fixed" version crashes just as hard as the original one. I downloaded it and unzipped it into a new folder just in case any of the old data was messing things up, but no luck...

#168 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

I'm really confused about this. Was anybody able to play my entry?

#169 matt_j   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
Original post by scgrn
I'm really confused about this. Was anybody able to play my entry?

Whoa, It crashed once, but I tried again and it worked. Nice job! To fix the crash, perhaps there's an MSVC way to remotely debug it, or we could just compile and run the source code under Debug.

#170 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

Well, I use dev-c++, I'll give the source, but I'm warning you... it ain't pretty.

#171 Thevenin   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Quote:
Original post by scgrn
Well, I use dev-c++

There is your problem -- get a real debugger.

Go download Visual C++ 2005 EE for free; chances are, the compiler alone will tell you whats going wrong.

#172 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

Quote:
Original post by Thevenin
Quote:
Original post by scgrn
Well, I use dev-c++

There is your problem -- get a real debugger.

Go download Visual C++ 2005 EE for free; chances are, the compiler alone will tell you whats going wrong.

I've been meaning to do that for a couple of months now... and I've also been meaning to ask if it's really that much better that it's worth the trouble of a download? I guess you've answered that question.

Anyway here's the source:

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE

#173 matt_j   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

MSVC express

#174 Thevenin   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

scgrn, I loaded up your source code in VC+++ 2005. Your code is in C++ (And I have no C++ experience, I'm merly a C Guru), but I managed to fix it up enough to run on my computer.

The problems I found are:

• The use of sizeof() on arrays! This is a very very bad idea. On VC++ 2005 EE, sizeof was returning a value greater then that of expected. On the field, sizeof() should ONLY be used to determine the size of primitive datatypes; not arrays or objects.

• "%X" assumed to be the size of a 'char' when in reality its the size of an 'int'. Because of this, you were writing 3 bytes outside the boundary of your char array.

Here is a patched up version of your executable, Fixed.exe!
    (This is only the executable, to run the game, the *.dat need to be included in the folder).

Oopsy, I made a mistake in his code. If you downloaded his game before this notice, please redownload (This adds score and health bar).

btw.. cool game scgrn! Its very arcadey. [cool]

[Edited by - Thevenin on February 12, 2006 2:38:05 AM]

• #175 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

Quote:
    lol, yes, I was rather insultive; I noticed that and removed it from my post, but I see I was too late.

My apologies; although I still believe C# >> C++ (Thats why I'm using it for my MMORPG), I agree it was rude of me to suggest it to you to fix the problems in your code.

Once again, your game is very cool. [cool]

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. No harm taken, comrade.

You're on to something there... when you're under this kind of deadline, having to deal with memory management is the last thing you need. I've been doing a lot of java coding lately (against my will :) ) and I guess I've been spoiled.

@matt_j: how did you get SDL working? I wanted to use it for input, timing, and SDL_Mixer, but I got a runtime error whenever I called SDL_Init()... but that forced me to learn openAL, which I've been meaning to do for a while

#176 matt_j   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:50 PM

Quote:
    Original post by scgrn

@matt_j: how did you get SDL working? I wanted to use it for input, timing, and SDL_Mixer, but I got a runtime error whenever I called SDL_Init()... but that forced me to learn openAL, which I've been meaning to do for a while

Currently, in my game "engine", SDL is used for joystick input and sound (SDL_mixer) only. Win32 handles key and mouse input for now, as well as high-res timing. I won't be moving these to SDL until I need to do a *ix/OSX port.

I can't explain your error without more information, sorry.

In my 3H-GDC entry, SDL really doesn't do anything, as I didn't include any sound in my game.

#177 scgrn   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

What does your SDL_Init() look like?

[Edited by - scgrn on February 12, 2006 4:03:58 AM]

#178 ToohrVyk   Members   -  Reputation: 1591

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

Quote:
    I had a great deal of difficulty with ToohrVyk's submission.

Firstly, the order in which you do things are enforced. Before you can pickup an item that is described on your room description, you must look at something completly irrelvent (eg.. last stage, before the jewel you must look at the pipes?!).

I don't think that's normal.

Quote:
    Mintaka is a lever...

That's a bug. I wrote "betelgeuse" instead of "bellatrix" in one of the trigger definitions.

Quote:

Secondly, some of the commands are very very precise, I won't spoil it.. so for example...

Maybe I should have spent a little bit more time to work on this... Still, could you PM me the situation where you had to do that?

#179 DrPetter   Members   -  Reputation: 132

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thevenin: I couldn't run your fixed version of scgrn's exe... I tried and tried and tried to compile it myself but my environment (vctoolkit2003) is so messed up at the moment that it really takes some magic and divine guidance to build a new project... none of which were available at this time.

ToohrVyk: Indeed there seemed to be situations where one command didn't work at first but was "unlocked" by doing something else. I don't remember "looking at pipes" though, so that can't be it. The levers were a bit wonky but I got past them after some trial and error (and swearing).
    In the last room I am almost certain that I wrote the right sentence at first but it didn't "take" until I had prayed once more and gotten an insulting reply from the game... oh well, it was all good fun as I said earlier ;)

#180 Thevenin   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

Quote:
    Original post by DrPetter
    Thevenin: I couldn't run your fixed version of scgrn's exe... I tried and tried and tried to compile it myself but my environment (vctoolkit2003) is so messed up at the moment that it really takes some magic and divine guidance to build a new project... none of which were available at this time.

I'm assuming you put it into a folder containing his .dat files. Hrm... I'm also assuming the error that pops up is just the generic "Debug || needs to shutdown" error, in which case, I'm clueless. Like I said though, no guarantees it will work on anyone's computer. Buffer-overflows are a mystery both when they crash the program, and when they work the program.

Edit: You do have the MSVCP80.dll and MSVCR80.dll right?

ToohrVyk, I've sent you the PM.

Old topic!
    Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS