• Create Account

OpenGL and Windows Vista

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro   Members   -  Reputation: 287

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:01 AM

On some forums i've been suggested to switch to DirectX since Windows Vista will have a very poor support for Opengl API's. I recall also seeing a sort of "petition" against MS regarding this subject at opengl.org, but unfortunately i couldn't understand all of that document (english is not my first language). I really hope it won't be like that, i love OpenGL and i don't want to start to study another graphics programming API. No words to say that if all this is true, well it seems very unfair to me.

Sponsor:

#2 Omid Ghavami   Members   -  Reputation: 973

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:11 AM

Forum FAQ on What is the state of OpenGL on Windows Vista?

Hope this helps

Regards,
/Omid
Best regards, Omid

#3 Basiror   Members   -  Reputation: 241

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
Original post by Alessandro
On some forums i've been suggested to switch to DirectX since Windows Vista will have a very poor support for Opengl API's.
I recall also seeing a sort of "petition" against MS regarding this subject at opengl.org, but unfortunately i couldn't understand all of that document (english is not my first language).
I really hope it won't be like that, i love OpenGL and i don't want to start to study another graphics programming API. No words to say that if all this is true, well it seems very unfair to me.

an alternative would be suse 10 + nvidia drivers *they got an installer for suse* :)

I will try this out in 2 months when my exams are over

#4 Alessandro   Members   -  Reputation: 287

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:24 AM

From the document i have read, it seems that opengl support is continued, am i right ?

#5 SirKnight   Members   -  Reputation: 316

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:37 AM

Quote:

From the document i have read, it seems that opengl support is continued, am i right ?

Yep!

#6 Dorvo   Members   -  Reputation: 272

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:45 AM

Microsoft is doing, with Vista, what they did with XP. On XP, Microsoft only provided version 1.1 of OpenGL, and third party companies were left to provide additional versions and support. With Vista, Microsoft made the decision to provide support up until 1.4. And, again, other people would have to give the additional support.

#7 Yann L   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1794

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Original post by Dorvo
Microsoft is doing, with Vista, what they did with XP. On XP, Microsoft only provided version 1.1 of OpenGL, and third party companies were left to provide additional versions and support. With Vista, Microsoft made the decision to provide support up until 1.4. And, again, other people would have to give the additional support.

Not really. It's a little more complex than that. In XP, while Microsofts OpenGL support was obsolete beyond belief, the interface to it - the ICD interface - was well documented for hardware manufacturers.

In Vista, the LDDM compatible interface to the Aero desktop compositor is not documented, and LDDM is more complex than the old XP driver ICD interface model (due to WGF, but also due to TC related issues). In other words, external vendors were not able to support OpenGL, even if they wanted to. They still cannot to the full extend (ie. fully composited Aeroglass OpenGL), but a compromise solution was found (ie. uncomposited window, without requiring to turn off Aero entirely).

This solution is good for me, as it is acceptable for both games and professional CAD software. Although it would be nice, if we could eventually get a full LDDM compatible OpenGL driver for Aero.

#8 soconne   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:05 AM

I still don't understand why Microsoft 'thinks' they have a decision in impeding OpenGL in Vista. If Nvidia or ATI write their drivers to circumvent anything Microsoft has put in place, won't that just enable full support for OpenGL?

#9 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5891

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
Original post by oconnellseanm
If Nvidia or ATI write their drivers to circumvent anything Microsoft has put in place, won't that just enable full support for OpenGL?
If that were to happen, MS could refuse to sign the drivers, and I gather that the current state of Vista is that no unsigned drivers are allowed without explicitly booting into a special mode.

Besides, MS haven't directly done anything to destroy OpenGL, in much the same way that Apple haven't directly done anything to prevent Windows from running on the Mactels. It's just that the technology was built in such a way (intentionally or not) that the state of affairs is as such.

#10 Alessandro   Members   -  Reputation: 287

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

It's just that the technology was built in such a way (intentionally or not) that the state of affairs is as such.[/quote]

I's say intentionally !

#11 soconne   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

So do most people in the industry. Check out the thread at OpenGL.org

#12 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5891

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
Original post by oconnellseanm
So do most people in the industry. Check out the thread at OpenGL.org
Personally I think they're idiots, excluding the few guys from 3D Labs, who have been most helpful in providing actual facts, and not making up bullshit about the performance numbers and not using a popular website to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

#13 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6653

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:10 AM

Indeed, there is some correct information in that thread, but the signal to noise ratio is terrible, people mouthing off left and right about MS being evil and how we should all just use Linux and blah blah blah.

Most of the people posting certainly arent in the industry, I can tell you that much..

#14 Xeee   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:55 AM

well, this is just my opinion, it maybe alittle bit strange.
MS won't be able to do anything that breaks support for existing Applications and Games(or makes it harder for developers to make Apps or Games).
OpenGL has alot of supporters(Carmack, NVidia, etc...), MS can't just leave all of them behind.
so, I think they'll change their mind right before releasing Vista, and if this didn't happen, we can use an uncomposited window after all :)

#15 Mesky   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

If you want a true OpenGL support, check out there:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/openglvista

#16 Expandable   Members   -  Reputation: 200

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

Quote:
Original post by Xeee
OpenGL has alot of supporters(Carmack, NVidia, etc...),

Though Carmack is thinking about switching to Direct3D, AFAIK...

#17 MARS_999   Members   -  Reputation: 1231

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
Original post by Expandable
Quote:
Original post by Xeee
OpenGL has alot of supporters(Carmack, NVidia, etc...),

Though Carmack is thinking about switching to Direct3D, AFAIK...

Who knows, but if he is planning on doing stuff with Cell phones and PS3 ect... DX wouldn't be a wise choice. I know in the latest PC gamer he said xbox 360 is their target platform now not PC... They also are going to make their games for PS3. So DX would seem a waste of time IMO if you want to sell games on PS3. I for one am sick of hearing about PC game companies selling out to the console market and seem to be ditching the PC crowd. If PC games are done with then I will be done playing games. Sorry for rant. :(

#18 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5891

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:15 AM

Eh, the API simply doesn't matter that much anymore. Flipping from one to the other is easy now, with the slight catch of being forced to switch up all your shaders. Surely you don't think that Doom 3 on Xbox and Quake 4 on X360 are running OpenGL?

#19 rick_appleton   Members   -  Reputation: 857

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:19 AM

Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
I for one am sick of hearing about PC game companies selling out to the console market and seem to be ditching the PC crowd. If PC games are done with then I will be done playing games. Sorry for rant. :(

You needn't be afraid of that. Epic are still targetting PC's as their primary platform. And regarding that article, if I remember correctly, their *primary* target platform is now XBox360. However, due to the nature of it, it is easier to port from there to PC than developing for PC and then porting to 360.

#20 soconne   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

Quote:
Original post by rick_appleton
Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
I for one am sick of hearing about PC game companies selling out to the console market and seem to be ditching the PC crowd. If PC games are done with then I will be done playing games. Sorry for rant. :(

You needn't be afraid of that. Epic are still targetting PC's as their primary platform. And regarding that article, if I remember correctly, their *primary* target platform is now XBox360. However, due to the nature of it, it is easier to port from there to PC than developing for PC and then porting to 360.

Great! So that means we PC users will have to settle for crappy graphics.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS