• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

[java] whats Forte?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 lupine   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 January 2001 - 09:24 AM

just downloaded Forte before I turn it lose what is it?

Sponsor:

#2 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 January 2001 - 11:38 AM

Forte is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). This means that instead of using a text editor and compiling your files on the command line this is an applications that welds together several components:

* An editor with syntex highlighting, help and cool ways to navigate the code.
* A debugger that lets you look at variable visually, set break points and step through your code directly in the editor window.
* An automated tool to compile and run your code.
and much more.
* A dialog editor that allows you to draw windows on screen and it then writes the corresponding code for you automatically.

It is simply a program to help you code instead of doing a lot manual work.

Jacob Marner

#3 Lamtd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 January 2001 - 12:46 PM

yep, Forte is a great IDE, the only problem is that it''s written in Java, so it''s awfully slow and takes a huge amount of memory. If only Visual J++ was compatible with Java2...

#4 felonius   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 January 2001 - 09:39 PM

The only good (and fast) IDEs I have tried that isn''t Microsoft crap is:

- Webgain Visual Cafe (somewhat buggy though)
- IBM Visual Age for Java (I think you can download a free standard version from IBM)

JBuilder and Forte are both slow.

But my point was above that Forte is just an IDE and most IDE are more or less the same.

Jacob

#5 JohnMunsch@zwave.com   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 20 January 2001 - 08:30 AM

quote:
Original post by felonius

JBuilder and Forte are both slow.

But my point was above that Forte is just an IDE and most IDE are more or less the same.

Jacob

In my mind all IDEs are not created equal. Borland's JBuilder is pretty crippled in it's Foundation version (the only freely downloadable version). You have to pay either $500 for the next version or $2500 for the Enterprise version in order to get anything really usable.

By contrast you can get Forte community edition or even better Netbeans 3.1 (which is the open source version of Forte at www.netbeans.org) and you get a very very good IDE. It integrates easily with CVS for version control and offers great integration for development of JSP pages, Ant support for your project building, good debugging, etc.

I don't really think Netbeans is slow at all unless you don't give it enough memory. It absolutely has to have a machine with more than 128MB of RAM in order to perform well. I've got 384MB and it's more than fast enough for me to use for everyday development even when I've got two or three browsers, MS Outlook, a database tool, and a couple of command lines open.

#6 lupine   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 January 2001 - 08:26 AM

quote:
Original post by felonius

Forte is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment).

very good.
I''m on visual cafe(symantec)
at work
and codewarrior(metroworks)
at home
the comparison will be interesting

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS