• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

My First Game!!!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#1 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 January 2001 - 02:33 PM

Hi, I just finished a test demo of my first freeware game. I''m hoping to get some input from others on what I could do better to improve this game. Im still working on improving the AI and stuff. check it out at: http://members.home.net/129561/LS.html Thanks PaulJ

Sponsor:

#2 acw83   Members   -  Reputation: 174

Posted 18 January 2001 - 02:47 PM

That''s cool, did you code all the graphics routines yourself or use some sort of library? Very nice.

#3 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 January 2001 - 03:38 AM

I wrote all the graphic routines. I''m currently updating and improving collision and AI, then I will work on levels and Boss like characters with different weapons. I''m glad you liked the Test demo. This is a big learning experience for me and I want to make games that are fun to play.

thanks

PaulJ

#4 acw83   Members   -  Reputation: 174

Posted 19 January 2001 - 02:10 PM

Try his game people it''s pretty cool for a start.

#5 TV   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 January 2001 - 03:08 PM

I tried downloading several times... it ''finishes'' at 67K of the 300 some-odd K...

.travois.

#6 DeltaVee   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 19 January 2001 - 04:57 PM

Congratulations, not bad. Damn sight more than I''ve done.

Now that you have proven to yourself that you can write a game, what next?

D.V.

--------------------------
Carpe Diem

#7 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 03:08 AM

Hi,

About that download problem I''m very sorry that you are having trouble downloading. I have checked everything over and cant figure out what the problem is everything seems to be working on this end. Try it again and see if you can download it.

What''s next? hehe thats a good question Carpe. Im thinking of completely finishing this game first than try making some more freeware. I find my hardest problem is game designing and coming up with good ideals for games.

thanks

PaulJ

#8 Jedyte   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 03:25 AM

Very nice.
I did have some trouble aiming, though.
Maybe you can but a little helpfile in the download (or even better: in the game) to explain the controls and stuff.
What language, compiler, etc. did you use?

Jedyte

#9 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 05:46 AM

hi,

I think you are right, I should of put directions on how to play the game since the controls even took me some time to get use to. I used Micosoft Visual C++ to Code game and Paint shop pro 6 for the art work. I''m a terrible artist and would be in trouble without a good paint program

PaulJ

#10 TheSalmon   Members   -  Reputation: 148

Posted 20 January 2001 - 08:24 AM

I tried downloading it several times but it ended at 60-200k of 300k everytime so I couldn''t try it...

No game will ever rule more than CBT!

#11 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 08:37 AM

Mmmm....

Your the second person that has told me they wasnt able to download the file. I will try to put up an updated version of the game and see if that helps.

PaulJ

#12 jbarroso   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 08:51 AM

Hi:

I had the same problem with the download. It stoped at
~60 Kb.

Jose

#13 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 09:21 AM

Wow!

I have deleted the old file and put up an updated version and downloaded it myself atleast 5 times to make sure the file can be downloaded and ppl are still having problems downloading can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong?

PaulJ

#14 TV   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 02:47 PM

I downloaded it. I had to download about 50K at a time, and keep closing the file and resuming it to get it to work.

A couple questions regarding gameplay:

(1) Do enemies die with one bullet, or do they take multiple hits? It takes a while for them to go down, and I was wondering if this is meant to happen (enemies have hit points), or if there are errors in the detecting of bullet/enemy collisions. If the first, I recommend some signal (whether thump sound, or enemy animation) of being hit.

(2) Could we be able to shoot diagonally in future demos?

All in all, this is not bad. If you really would like to work with a graphics artist (not that the graphics are really terrible), this demo would prove that you mean business-- thus some replys from qualified GameDev''rs.

Looking forward to future versions! Good job!

.travois.

#15 PaulJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 03:17 PM

Hi Travis,

Sorry about the downloading I cant seem to figure out what the problem is. To answer your questions the enemy soldiers do have hit points so it will take a few hits to kill them I was thinking about lowering their hitpoints after I added bosses to tone them down a bit and im working on a damage animation and sound effects. Shooting diagonally in the future is something that I will be working on and thinking alot about I would love to be able to shoot in a 360 degree spread.

Thanks

PaulJ

#16 TwisteR   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 03:42 PM

I liked your game. I found that the controls were ok,But the aiming needs work (I have a suggestion, why not put cross-hairs in?). It was surtinly better than I could do at this point. I am just starting a course on Visual C++.

-----------------------------
-------Mitch Mulholland------
----A.K.A.= TwisteR----------
-----------------------------

#17 Labmouse   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2001 - 04:53 PM

No way i can download your demo... the download is aways freezing up at some point.

#18 Kristofer Molander   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 January 2001 - 08:30 AM

sorry man, couldn''t download it

#19 AndyMan   Members   -  Reputation: 148

Posted 21 January 2001 - 11:51 AM

I tried a few times, after 133kB the download bar fills up even though it only says 34%.

#20 GimpMaster   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 January 2001 - 05:46 PM

PaulJ

Nice game, really good for your first time around.

I had to download it twice to get it to finish all the way but it worked fine.

I just was wondering, it seemed like I could only through a grenade at certain times I wasn''t able to hit any bad guys with the grenade =( but I''m sure you have a reason or will fix that.

Good Game
Gimp

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS