What's happening with the site... Part II

Started by
17 comments, last by gregs 18 years ago
Well it seems my old post was retired so I thought I'd start it up again. The original "What's happening with the site" post was started in early October of last year and guess what... it's March and NOTHING has happened. Sure the occasional news topic but this site is going nowhere fast. The forum usage is down to almost nothing as well. Well done Gamedev for killing of a premium site.
Advertisement
What site got killed? NeHe? I know a ton of people who still use that place. Maybe not for its forums, but the tutorials and resources it provides are quite valuable. I just went there yesterday myself to pull out a tutorial on shadows. Although I do see your point, because if I had any questions, I would bring them here... :P
I see the site still provides a lot of useful material, but the forum is almost dead, and there's no denying that...
It's a real pity, since I think it was among the best ones around.
I understand six months may seem a lot but I'd say we have to wait more - when running a business with limited resources, this may eat up a lot of time.
I also noticed the forum is slow compared to old times but I don't see the link with the new site status.

Previously "Krohm"

I assure you, NeHe is far from dead. Internally we're putting things into place to ensure that it's going to be updated as easily as the rest of the GDNet site.
Then put an update or some sort of message either here on the forum or on the News page. It doesn't have to be daily but a weekly status report on site development would be good. A checklist or something showing what has been done and what needs to be. If people know whats going on they'll come back.

It has been six months and we have waited. Surely something has been done in six months?!

Anyway, you know my views. I've written them before. I just hope your answer will be a bit different this time to what it has been these past 6 months.

Quote:Original post by firesoft
Then put an update or some sort of message either here on the forum or on the News page. It doesn't have to be daily but a weekly status report on site development would be good. A checklist or something showing what has been done and what needs to be. If people know whats going on they'll come back.

It has been six months and we have waited. Surely something has been done in six months?!

Anyway, you know my views. I've written them before. I just hope your answer will be a bit different this time to what it has been these past 6 months.

Donate to the site by becoming a GDNET+ member or volenteer to help with the site. The Staff do a great job here and they will get NeHe back to what it was when Jeff had the time to put into the site.

No takeovers happen overnight. Instead of complaing - you should be thankful that GameDev took over the site for Jeff. As I know that Jeff was considering taking everything down before GameDev took it over from him.

This is STILL the best resource on the net for OpenGL development - even if it doesn't get upgraded all the time.

Roach
Hi Roach.

I know I'm coming across as being a pain in the arse but it's just sad to see a leading edge site lose it's way. Many people have abandond the forum and a lot more sites have sprung up offering as much, if not more, in the way of tutorials.

I am glad that the site wasn't taken down by NeHe and I was happy to hear that GameDev was to take over. I'm just unhappy with the lack of information coming out of Gamedev on what is happening.

If you see my previous post here then you'll see the promises made by the staff to have the site updated months ago.

I think NeHe was more than just a OpenGL site for many. We saw the hard times that Jeff went through. (I can't honestly remember too many good times for him though) He seemed like a decent guy that was all about giving.

It would be a pity to lose all that.

I guess I should be like the rest and say nothing...

I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone over these posts. My aim was to get more attention to the site and hopefully get it updated sooner rather than later. Once again, sorry.
You dont have to appologise. I for one am greatful for what you are trying to do.
You say there is more tutorials popping up elsewhere can you give some insight to where they are, I am laways looking for new and fresh tutorials on opengl!

Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement