• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Any one know of a good book for scripting languages...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 11 August 1999 - 04:52 AM

Simply put, I want a book that will teach me how to write a scripting language like SeeR. Okay, I'll live with something not as good (I just want it to be writen in C/C++). Anyone know of such a book?

Sponsor:

#2 NuFAN   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 August 1999 - 05:36 PM

Hi,
there is an article about creating scripting engines on www.flipcode.com

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

#3 bit   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 August 1999 - 06:34 PM

Well ... it isn't a book on scripting languages per se.

But, when you write a scripting language all you are really writing is a simple intrepretor.

So, I can recommend "Constructing Language Processors for Little Langauges" by Randy Kaplan.

Since a scripting engine is really a "little language" this book would probably be of good use for you.

It is a great introductory text for those who aren't ready for the "Dragon Book."

- Chris

#4 Zuvembi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 August 1999 - 04:52 AM

I bought "C : The Complete Reference" by Herbert Schildt. The last chapter is about writing a c-interpreter. I haven't read this chapter yet, so I can't tell you how good it is or not. Though the rest of the book is a decent(not fantastic) reference/tutorial. I picked it up because my C was extremely rusty. Its a decent book, and not too wretchedly expensive at $35. My suggestion is to stop in at a borders and take a look at it in the store. It may be what you want.

------------------
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS