• Create Account

[java] Frame

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 January 2001 - 01:40 AM

Is it possible to create a frame (AWT) without a border? I mean a frame with no title bar, system menu, minimize and maximize buttons?

Sponsor:

#2 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 January 2001 - 03:19 AM

no.

but you can make a java.awt.Window which is essentialy a frame without a frame (border, title, buttons) around it. You can use these for splash screens and whatnot.

#3 Dennis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 January 2001 - 04:15 AM

Thanks!

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 29 January 2001 - 04:08 AM

But a window needs an owner; either a frame, dialog, or another window.

Has anyone found a way to have a fullscreen java app with no title bar or border? Like in most full screen games (baldur''s gate ii etc).

#5 JasonB   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 January 2001 - 11:18 AM

You create a non visible frame which is passed to the constructor of the Window. Then resize the window to take up the whole screen.

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 January 2001 - 12:32 AM

This works fine on windows (although sometimes the taskbar pokes through), but it doesn''t work properly under MacOS (pre X) as apples implementation of java does not seem to let you make a window that covers the entire screen. You end with space between the window edges and desktop edges.

Oh well another case of: write once, debug everywhere.

#7 JasonB   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 January 2001 - 08:22 AM

I know what you mean regarding Macs. I used to have a nightmare of a time (a couple of years ago), when I was doing some applet work, going from IE to Netscape - getting both of those working on a PC, and then going to a Mac where the whole thing would break again.

#8 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

Posted 30 January 2001 - 06:14 PM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

This works fine on windows (although sometimes the taskbar pokes through),

getFocus() usually gets rid of the taskbar.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

#9 thuned   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 February 2001 - 12:59 PM

yeah, i''m interested in this full screen java thing too. so a window w/ a non-visible parent would make it full screen. how about resolution? if the user has a diff res than 640x480, is there a way? or can a seperate program change it, launch the java app, then change back when done?

#10 GKW   Members   -  Reputation: 200

Posted 05 February 2001 - 02:05 PM

Supposedly JRE 1.4 will let you change resolutions when you have a fullscreen window but I don''t know how to do it right now and in a month or so it won''t matter anyway. Hopefully.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS