• Create Account

Any good engine???

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 pc-jlopez   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 1999 - 08:05 AM

Hi, i'm looking for a good 3d engine for DJGPP (DOS port of the gnu C/C++ compiler). If you know any one please post.

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 NuFAN   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 August 1999 - 08:33 PM

Hi,
why don't you get VC++ ? The student versions are really cheap. If you've got that compiler, you can use many different free engines and will have less problems, optimized code, compatibility, a very good debugger, ...

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

#3 FlyFire   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 August 1999 - 08:47 PM

Look at engines list site. I think here is somewere link to it (i don't remember). There is a tons of free/sharware/commercial 2d/3d engines.

Also, take a look at CrystalSpace crystal.linuxgames.com

about optimized code in VC++ - i don't think any compiler can make code faster and better than Watcom C++. Why all people forget about Watcom?

FlyFire/CodeX
http://codexorg.webjump.com

#4 NuFAN   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 1999 - 04:24 AM

The VC code is better optimized than DJGPP, not better than Watcom, but Watcom is less supported and has an ugly IDE. And if I compare VC++ and DGJPP, this is a pro for VC++.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

#5 Shinkage   Members   -  Reputation: 595

Posted 14 August 1999 - 04:37 AM

Not to mention the fact that Watcom has been officially discontinued.

#6 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2305

Posted 17 August 1999 - 04:00 AM

I heard from a reliable source that Microsoft (in typical Microsoft fashion) hired a couple of Watcom's top optimization gurus a few years ago, and I have heard of independent tests demonstrating that VC++ generates faster code now.

BUT, rather than starting a compiler war, let's get back to the original question. On the main page, click on Resources under the Directories section, and you will find a link to the 3D Engines List. You should be able to find something there.

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 August 1999 - 07:46 AM

ummm, ok

The 3D engines list is at http://www.cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html

If you can't find an engine there then give up looking.

Watcom is old, dead news - they've lost the edge. I remember the days when trying to beat Watcom's compiler at optimisation was incredibly difficult.

Watcom USED to have the fastest code generator, they no longer do; it's VC now people - that compiler is amazing.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 29 August 1999 - 08:05 AM

Hubert: What VC can do better than Watcom? (i'm talking about last one, v11.0)
Also, it can be fully compatible with it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS