• Create Account

A new OS!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 bosjoh   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 1999 - 04:36 PM

I've an idea of programming a new Operating System. If everything goes right then you can say goodbye to windows DirectX, DPMI and crashes.

There's just one catch.
I don't have an idea of how to program a new OS. If someone has information (or an URL) I would greatly appreciate it.

I already know ASM so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sponsor:

#2 Philippo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 August 1999 - 09:28 AM

hi.
I also thought about programming my own OS,
but I don't think I'm good enough for that.

Here are some URLs about OS-Development:
http://users.erols.com/johnfine/
http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigops/roll_your_own/
http://magic.hurrah.com/~sabre/os/

Hope you find some useful informations there!

Philippo

[This message has been edited by Philippo (edited August 28, 1999).]

#3 Sengir   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 August 1999 - 10:11 AM

this message caused me laughing
sorry...if you'd like to get into system specific programming, help out in another project, like *BSD or linux.
_no one_ is good enough to write an OS himself.

Sengir

#4 White Fire   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 August 1999 - 04:36 PM

Umm, okay.

Just a checklist, to make sure you can cover everything that an operating system requires:

A simple (!) operating system is required to:
* Run one or more processes simulaneously (MS-DOS v3 and below ran only one, but newer OSes multi-task)
* Provide a fair and efficient multi-tasking environment if multi-tasking is supported (Interactive tasks should be given higher priorities, etc)
* Manage memory for each task - a process should not have access to memory it doesn't own, but multiple processes should be able to share common code segments in memory.
* Manage I/O for each task - the OS provides the interface between the software and the hardware (Roughly speaking)
* File management - providing the correct file to a process when requested, and managing the file list as a whole to prevent fragmentation and the like.
* System security - a user should be able to access his/her files and resources but not those that are not shared and belong to other users. A system for auditing is also useful.

If you still feel up to it, the book 'Operating Systems (3rd Edition)', by W Stallings (Prentice Hall, 1995) is an exellent reference.

If you manage to work out a clean, efficient operating system that works, please let me know and I'll likely be among your customers.

Good luck,
White Fire

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS