• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Maddox hits the big time

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

So I get my copy of Newsweek today and I'm flipping through it, and... holy crap there's an article on Maddox! It's online too if you want to read it, but apparently, his book Alphabet of Manliess is a massive success. Yet again, confirmation that I picked the wrong genre when starting a website... Btw, if this is a repost, please point me to the original so I can delete it and pretend it never existed.

Sponsor:

#2 jfclavette   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
So I get my copy of Newsweek today and I'm flipping through it, and... holy crap there's an article on Maddox! It's online too if you want to read it, but apparently, his book Alphabet of Manliess is a massive success.

Yet again, confirmation that I picked the wrong genre when starting a website...

Btw, if this is a repost, please point me to the original so I can delete it and pretend it never existed.

Yeah, like it hasn't been in my GDNet Books of Interest for weeks now. We see trough your game Mr. Rhino, or should I say... Maddox.

The sad thing is that I'll probably buy it out of curiosity, since I can safely assume it won't be in my local library.

#3 Salsa   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1146

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Bring on the phallic aggression.

#4 lethalhamster   Members   -  Reputation: 156

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

I signed up for his newsletter thing just because I was curious. I think I only receieved one email from it though. I think I will end up buying it out of curiosity as well. It shouldn't be that bad, I mean it on Amazons top 30!

#5 silverphyre673   Members   -  Reputation: 454

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

Myopic, quit spamming the boards.

:)

#6 Conner McCloud   Members   -  Reputation: 1135

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Quote:
Original post by lethalhamster
It shouldn't be that bad...

Yes it should, unless we're thinking of different Maddoxes.

CM

#7 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Tucker Max's book is also a huge success. I see people on the train reading it from time to time, and I want to do some sort of bonding ritual, but I remember what kind of asshole Tucker is and then wonder what kind of people other than myself would find his stories hilarious.

#8 Katta   Members   -  Reputation: 560

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:41 PM

That article linked to on MSN is pathetic. The website is even more pathetic.

One hundred and eighty-two words. In its entirity. The page weighs in at over thirty Kb, and displays one hundred and eighty-two words of actual content.

I can hardly even find the story through all the advertising and other crap that I have absolutly no interest in reading.

Oh, and go Maddox.

#9 ManaStone   Members   -  Reputation: 148

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

I wonder if Maddox will ever be on the Daily Show or Colbert report to promote it.

#10 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2078

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

Quote:
(...)ref=nosim/gamedev(...)

Are you being paid to give the book publicity?

#11 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

Quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Quote:

GDNet gets a small return for every book purchased via a referral link. If you look at the suggested books in your profile (on your control page), or in the reviews section, or links by smart GDNet members, you'll find that referrer link there, too.

It's only logical that The Rhino insert it, on the off chance that someone from this site elects to buy the book immediately. No sense giving away a free commission.

Does tha answer your question?

#12 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:25 AM

I have to ask... what on earth is actually in the book? Is it just the usual Maddox rantings, or something entirely new?

#13 Kwizatz   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1204

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:37 AM

I hope they make a movie! [smile]

#14 Rain 7   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:47 AM

I hope Maddox gets hemorrhoids. And a double helping to those of you that likes this fruitcake...and a triple helping to the people that pre-ordered his book. What kind of name is Maddox anyways? Dumb name...

...and if can someone could please ask him why hes not returning my phone calls...erm...I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

#15 BerwynIrish   Members   -  Reputation: 337

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
I hope they make a movie! [smile]

With Will Smith!

#16 cowsarenotevil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2078

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Quote:

GDNet gets a small return for every book purchased via a referral link. If you look at the suggested books in your profile (on your control page), or in the reviews section, or links by smart GDNet members, you'll find that referrer link there, too.

It's only logical that The Rhino insert it, on the off chance that someone from this site elects to buy the book immediately. No sense giving away a free commission.

So does GameDev get free money if I stick that in every time I use Amazon (even off the site), or would that violate the contract somehow?

#17 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Quote:

So does GameDev get free money if I stick that in every time I use Amazon (even off the site), or would that violate the contract somehow?
The easiest way to make sure we get credit is to just start your shopping at Amazon by following ANY link to Amazon from GameDev.net. Then, no matter what you buy, they'll track us as the referrer and give us credit, even if it's not something we directly link to. Considering that it costs the buyer nothing, if you're buying from Amazon anyway I think it'd be a shame to throw the referral fee away rather than making sure it goes to a site you frequent (whether it's GDNet or somewhere else).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS