• Create Account

c++ or c#

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

#1 jagguy   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

I haven't been around for a while , and I have a basic query. I just want to ask how C# is now rated compared to C++. Like , is C++ still the most popular language, or is c# now seen as more of an equal to C++ for game programming?

Sponsor:

#2 Lazy Foo   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

For an accurate look, take a peek at the game programming jobs listing and see what employers are looking for.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

#3 xEricx   Members   -  Reputation: 564

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:41 PM

With C# you can land a job as a tools programmer in a games company. With C++ you have more chances to be able to work on the engine, gameplay, etc... Games themselves are mostly written in C++.

#4 DaCracker   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:49 PM

I prefer C++ for game development.

#5 Calin   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:09 PM

Best thread on the subject in my opinion. Check out what Saruman has to say.

#6 xEricx   Members   -  Reputation: 564

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

Fixed link ;)

#7 Calin   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, I just solved it too.

#8 CaffeinePwrdAl   Members   -  Reputation: 178

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Mat Noguchi from bungie is a big advocate of c# so some of the industry is beginning to turn. There was mention of it a month or so back on sweng-gamedev mailing list IIRC.

Twitter: @CaffinePwrdAl

#9 programwizard   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:27 PM

C++ is still the most commonly used language in the industry, and probably will be for a while to come (mainly because current programmers are already trained in C++, and many companies 500,000+ line code bases are still written in C++). As was stated above, C# is very useful for tool development and other auxilliary components for the game, and it is making signifigant inroads in the business app/GUI development field, thanks to the capabilities of the .NET framework.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

#10 Riviera Kid   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:07 AM

if your using c# arraylists to manage your textures your gonna get a performance hit.

using realloc and a stack to remember which array indexes are empty is fast.

c# have an unsafe allocator aswell so you can use that. But then your gonna have as much coding to do as c++.

#11 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

is C# available now for ps3 or ps2?

#12 adam23   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:59 AM

I prefer C++ because I have been using it for 4 years. C# is really easy to use, and very similar to Java. I think one day C# will start to make a bigger impact in the game industry but right now C++ is the main language.

#13 Arild Fines   Members   -  Reputation: 968

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
Original post by adam23
I prefer C++ because I have been using it for 4 years.

So next year you will prefer it because you have been using it for 5 years?

#14 nickwinters   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

C# isn't available for any consoles yet. There's been some word that MS is working one something to have C# on XBOX 360. Possibly just GUI stuff. I remember reading something on it, but I can't find the page right now.

#15 Rob Loach   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1500

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
Original post by nickwinters
C# isn't available for any consoles yet.
Incorrect. At the last GDC, they had a Managed DirectX demo running on an Xbox 360.

Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

#16 Surg   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

Are you asking becuase you want to know which one to learn? If you are, learn both. If you learn on picking up the other shouldn't be to hard either(Which is true with a lot of languages, they all have the same base things). I prefer C++ becuase i find it more portable(probably every major system has a c++ library for it).

#17 Xpyder   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

Personally, I started game development (well..samples etc) in C++, making a basic RPG, and now I prefer C#.

C# is simpler, and easier to manage then ++, and in programs such as games (which you will want to re-use the code for later / make changes during development) this is essential.

I don't know much about the current state of the market, but my guess is the game industry needs to keep pumping out games, so they use what they know.

I can't imagine in 10+ years people will still be using ++, or another unmanaged language to create games.
Microsoft created C#, and they are also currently creating what will be the most advanced, and widely used OS in the world, thats got to mean something :)

James

#18 HopeDagger   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 970

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:09 AM

As others have already said, C++ is still the main jazz in the game development industry. However, for hobbyist projects and learning purposes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with C#. It's quite capable of creating games of reasonable intensity. A handful of commercial games have already been created with C#, so the industry is still not 100% C++ dominated. There's still room for the aspiring .NET coder, I say! [smile]

#19 Flimflam   Members   -  Reputation: 657

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

I would personally go for C++, but C# has it's uses too. It's a very much used language here and there, especially in the tools sector for games. I dont think any commercially shipped games use C# or any .NET language yet.

It would be very beneficial to learn both of them, preferably.

#20 Marius   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

Nomatter how will be... allways "C is faster than C++ and C++ is faster than C#/Java".

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS