• Create Account

INDIANA JONES and the Fountain of Youth (DEMO RELEASED!)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 d k h   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

The much anticipated demo of Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth is finally available to download and try out for yourself! It's taken over two years to release but now it's ready for show, and should give you a tiny impression of just what is to come in the future. The original demo, which almost surfaced in 2005 - had three programmers, and all was lost when the lead programmer dissapeared without ever uploading the game files for the team to continue working from. After this, a new programmer was recruited - and the demo you will play today has been entirely built from scratch by Jan Simon - a keen programmer who has worked extremely hard on pulling our work together, using only the compiled original version for reference and adding every single bit of detail back in himself. Don't let this fool you though - more time means more ideas, new looks and better gameplay. The team have been able to implement things like the fight engine which was only really being concieved back in 2005. However, Jan has made it possible and in this demo you will get a taster of some of the action sequences in the game. Unlike the original demo, this version features all the correct dialogue written superbly by Lorn Conner. The demo itself features an array of features that will be included in the full-game. Bear in mind, this is just a demo & so a lot of what we hope to include in the full game to really bring the atmosphere together - has been left out. The demo features a seperate storyline to the full-game but includes some structure that you can expect from the full game - including cut-scenes, inventory based puzzles, dialogue puzzles & action sequences. There's also over 25 minutes of original music especially composed for the demo, and over 15 unique interactive rooms to explore - all in beautiful 320x200 hand-drawn artwork by Misja van Laatum. Did you know - we hope to release a talkie version of the demo in the near future! With your help, we can get Doug Lee on board as the voice of Indiana Jones! If you would like to hear him as Indy again in a brand new adventure, take a look at the donations page on our website. http://www.barnettcollege.com/ It's time to finally see what we've been hiding all this time. You will find all the information and downloads you need below, on our demo page - which also includes technical information as there are still a couple of known bugs floating about in this version (1.0). So - sit back & hold on to your hats, it's time for your latest adventure! http://www.barnettcollege.com/demo.htm FoY is a freeware point & click by Screen 7, who are in no way affiliated with LucasArts, LucasFilm or George Lucas. Though, like most - we'd love it if we were!
[Edited by - d h k on May 28, 2006 7:53:17 AM]

Sponsor:

#2 EDI   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 2348

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

Way to go!

I'm always in favor of more good adventure games.

Sure hope LucasArts doesn't 'fox' you though.

Anyhow good luck in getting it all the way to done!

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive www.EDIGames.com - Revel Immortal: The Continuing Story of Morning's Wrath
Writing games for years with nothing but A keyboard, and the Truth.

#3 Kelly G   Members   -  Reputation: 356

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

Quote:

Sure hope LucasArts doesn't 'fox' you though

In that case you can change it to "Allen Quartermain and the Fountain of Youth"

#4 DMINATOR   Members   -  Reputation: 240

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:44 AM

Great job! The product looks really well made, and I love graphics. Good luck for you guys.

P.S. Don't know if you know :) But you got featured on 3dnews.ru here. That is good thing.

#5 jeroenb   Members   -  Reputation: 257

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Very impressive work. Your website also looks very cool! If I get back at home I will definitely try it out.

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

Blog: Crafter 2D
Twitter: @crafter_2d

#6 d k h   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for all the kind words so far. It's great to know that there are actually people out there that still respect the quality of hand-drawn, two-dimensional pixel art in our days of super-effect shaders, high-dynamic range renders and anti-aliased lensflares. ;)

Also, great to hear that we were featured on 3dnews.ru -- although I can't make out one single word of the review/comment. There's has been high interest in our project so far (we got approximately 12.000 downloads in the 100 first hours after the release of the demo version 1.0) -- all this is highly motivating!

Thanks again, and keep you feedback comming, please!

#7 VanKurt   Members   -  Reputation: 133

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

The demo was a little short :-)
But the ending really got me - when's more comming?

The graphics are great and the overall feeling is good, too. But there are some bugs (mainly in the GUI)...

Keep it up!

#8 Omid Ghavami   Members   -  Reputation: 985

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:51 AM

I just wanted to say that I love you guys! [grin]
Keep up the damn good work, looking forward to the final version of this game!
Best regards, Omid

#9 d k h   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for your nice comments!

We don't know exactly when the fullgame is going to be finished, but it's pretty clear that it's going to take us a while. As you can see, the game world is very detailed and hand-drawing all the needed backgrounds, sprites and animations is a very tedious process. The script is already finalized, but the coding/scripting is also going to take some time, naturally. But rest assured -- the longer we spent with the game, the better it gets. Just stick to the demo for a few months or years and be surprised with the full and complete game one day. ;)

It's true, there are several bugs left in the demo, although it was beta-tested for several months and over 120 bugs have been reported and fixed, there's nothing out there quite like the 20.000 players that have downloaded our demo in the first 150 hours it was online! This is the reason, why we decided to release a demo version 1.1, in which a lot of the spotted bugs, mistakes and 'little annoyances' that were mentioned on various sites will be fixed!

#10 GameCreator   Members   -  Reputation: 731

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

First, I'd also like to say that I've beaten the demo and have really enjoyed it. It's all very professional, clean and, obviously, enjoyable.

Second, a quick question: how did you guys get so many downloads? Where else did you show off your game?

#11 choffstein   Members   -  Reputation: 1090

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Wow. I may have to buy a windows box just to try this guy out. It looks absolutely amazing.

#12 Mattman   Members   -  Reputation: 336

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

OMG, ADVENTURE GAMES LIKE THESE ARE THE BEST!!! I hope you guys don't get stopped by LucasArts for this, that would be a real shame. I can't wait to try the demo when I get home!

Are you releasing this for free when completed? I assume you're not selling it since it's got a registered character and trademarked crap up the whazoo!

This is inspiring to complete my own adventure game...started one yeeeeears ago, never got anywhere with it though! :) Much luck to the three of you!

#13 d k h   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some answers:

Quote:
Are you releasing this for free when completed?

Yes, of course. We are not interested in making ANY profit or money out of this project (and we couldn't make money with it, because of the copyright issues, as you said). It means a lot to us that you know that we are not getting anything out of it except the love and time we invested in the project multiplied by the amount of satisfied fans. All the money from your donations go into features (such as getting Doug Lee - the original Indy-voice - back into our game or adding a soundtrack performed and recorded by a real orchestra for example).

Quote:
Much luck to the three of you!

Hehe, while it may look like our team only consists of three people from that description text above, we are actually a few more. Fifteen, including six beta-testers, I believe.

Quote:
I may have to buy a windows box just to try this guy out.

That might not be necessary. A release version for Mac might be comming out in the next days, people managed to port it somehow, we just need to test this and then we will of course officially host this Mac-version on our page www.barnettcollege.com.

Quote:
How did you guys get so many downloads? Where else did you show off your game?

Good question! Actually, we didn't announce our demo on a lot of forums, it seems that you only need good-looking art and a few promising screenshots plus a little luck and connections to german print and online magazines as well as a tv-show for computer games. The great thing about the internet is, that - if people like your stuff - the message is literally getting thrown around everywhere. First, a preview from an adventure-specific online games magazine was posted, then people post this news elsewhere, popular game portals find out about it and there you go.

I hope I managed to answer all your raised questions, feel free to keep asking new ones or leave your opinion on our project here please! :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS