• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Planet Physics

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Angelus   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 October 1999 - 11:42 AM

I was just wondering what happened to the physics board?

Anyways, I have question relating to the material of a Planet's physics. I have the formula to find the orbit of an object (mainly a comet), given an x,y position and an x,y velocity.

x acceleration = -GMx/r^3
y acceleration = -GMy/r^3

where G is Newton's Gravitational Constant, M is the mass of the Sun (which I'm not too sure of), x, y is the position of the planet, and r is the distance from the object to the sun.

However, I'm not sure where to find the x, y position and velocity of a planet so I can use the formula above.

I am actually trying to simulate the orbit of the planets using Direct3D, and can't find a way to calculate the orbits. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS