• Create Account

Underclocking GPU and memory

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 adriano_usp   Members   -  Reputation: 396

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

Hello, I know overclocking GPU/memory can be dangerous (if you don't have experience on that)... But could underclocking GPU/memory also damage the graphic card? OK, let me explain why I'm asking this: Some GeForces 7600GT "superclocked in factory" shown some problems (like freezing in many games), possibly because the GPU voltage is a bit lower than the "ideal value". So, some users have underclocking the GPU and memory to compense the low voltage and getting more stability. Is this procedure dangerous? Thanks in advance

Sponsor:

#2 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:47 AM

Many OEM dealers ship their cards underclocked. AFAIK this doesn't cause any problems outside of perhaps some timing difficulties (if you underclock far enough you might not be able to make vsync and would get bizarre graphical tearing).

Clocking an overclocked card back to stock clock (clock clock clock clock clock) probably won't hurt anything.

#3 Jarrod1937   Members   -  Reputation: 507

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:05 AM

yes, underclocking the card back to stock speeds, will not hurt anything. however you may experience stability problems with underclocking it below stock speeds (or atleast i have experiementing with my last 5 cards).
and overclocking itself can't hurt the card directly (unless of course you try to do a voltmod). if your card is damaged it is because it overheated, otherwise it will not decrease the life of your card unless you increase the voltage of the gpu or ram.
however, if i were you i would buy an aftermarket cooler so you cna keep your card overclocked, it is probably just freezing because it is starting to overheat.

#4 adriano_usp   Members   -  Reputation: 396

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for replying, friends.

I have an EVGA 7600GT KO... probably the most problematic card of all 7600GT cards. I think it is not an overheat problem (card temperature < 50 C). To avoid freezing problems I decrease the GPU clock from 580MHz to 550MHz.

On the other hand, some guys solved the freezing problem by increasing the GPU voltage (and getting clocks > 600MHz). There is a tutorial on VR-Zone about this:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3330&s=1

It looks risky for me. Did anyone already try something like that?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS