• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Game Engines For Beginners + Description & Prices

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 laugheazy   Members   -  Reputation: 174

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

Hey everyone. I have went around and collected some information on game engines, and there ease of use. So that there could be one list. So let's begin. Out of all these, I own all of them besides 3 of em. So if you have any questions please give me a message or e mail. Im not an advanced Game Maker yet, but I get what I want on the screen..lol So here it is.... Torque Game Engine This particular engine was used to create the popular Tribes 2. You can make any type of game with this engine. It is very widley used, also contains built in editors, such as a terrain editor. Price 100$ Torque Game Builder This is what you can use to create 2D games. This is not the drag & drop type of builder, as you can also code using this engine. Whats better? Is that you can actually create games to be played on the XBOX 360! Price 100$ Torque Game Builder Game Maker This is what I use. I'm no programmer, but this engine offers programmers the ability to create whatever code they would like. Its an easy to use, "drag & drop" interface. Which also allows for code + drag and drop. The learning curbve is very easy. Even your youngest fan can create a game in minutes. 2D & 3D Game creating is possible. Price 20$ Game Maker Blitz Products Blitz is very popular among game developers, in its ease of use, and also its low price range. Blitz has a wide variety of products available. Including Blitz3D, BlitzBASIC, BlitzMAX, BlitzPLUS. The best part about these is they use the easy to understand BASIC language. Which makes it easier to learn. A strong and active community are also there to provide you with answers to your questions. Price 60-100$ Blitz Product Website First Person Shooter Creator Ever wanted to make a First Person Shooter, but lacked the talent, and experience? This is for you. You wont create Half Life 3, or even Half Life 1, but you will impress your friends & family with this great, easy to use software. It has never been easier. Place levels, enemies, ammo, and more, and play your level, all in less then 5 minutes. Anyone can create a game with this. It dosent get any easier. Price 50$ FPSCreator DarkBASIC & DarkBASIC Pro This is another game creating engine that deals with the BASIC language. DarkBASIC is still widley used, and PRO gives you options, such as ulitizing DirectX 9. Very affordable. Also available is very detailed books, on how to use these products. You will have to learn to program of course, but the amount of tutorials out there, and community, you'll be creating games in no time. Price 50-90$ The Game Creators Realm Crafter Although its new at this point, almost every game creator has imagined creating a World Of Warcraft type game. And guess what? With some practice, I dont doubt you can be there with this cheap, but very good product. Its very easy to use, and even the beginner can begin to create games. But the advanced users can script away, using the BASIC language. Comes with everything you need to create a game! But you may also add your own materials! This is definitley worth a go. 55$ Realm Crafter RPG MAKER XP Introducing RPG MAKER™ XP, the latest Windows entry in the RPG MAKER series that gives you the power to create your own original role-playing games. Its popular and highly user-friendly editor interface has been carried over from RPG MAKER 2000, and its graphic capabilities, battle screen layout, and data packaging features are better than ever. By popular demand, this latest installment also boasts a brand-new Scripting function. RPG MAKER XP is bound to satisfy beginners and experts alike. Price 60$ RPG MAKER XP The 3D GameMaker This is for the absolute beginner. Who just wants to try something different. This almost takes no talent. This innovative package allows you to select from a variety of 3D characters, landscapes, enemies and power-ups. Everything from deep space battles to cartoon mayhem can be achieved with nothing more than clicks of your mouse. Price 34$ 3D GameMaker Game Editor The author says: Game Editor is the game design software that gives you the power to create the games of your dreams, with little or no programming or technical knowledge required. Game Editor lets you design and develop 2D games for personal computers and mobile devices. No need to worry about system issues or compatibility, no need to do anything other than come up with the ideas! Game developing has never been easier! Price 15$ Game Editor 3D Game Studio The Author Says: he engine is the core of the development system - it generates the 3D image and controls the behavior of the virtual world. Due to its combined BSP-Tree and terrain renderer, GameStudio's engine handles indoor and outdoor sceneries equally well. Its lighting engine supports static and dynamic shadows cast from moving light sources. The threefold culling algorithm renders huge worlds extremely effectively even on old hardware. Programmers can use the plugins for adding new effects and features. The A6 engine is regularly updated in order to always support the hottest features of the newest 3D cards, like Shader Model 3.0. The current engine version is 6.40. Updates to new A6 engine versions are free. Price 50-899$ Game Studio Adventure Maker Create Myst style games with ease. This has got to be one of the easiest game creating programs out there. However the features wont impress many. If you can create a myst clone, then you'll get a fan following, other then that, this may be something to look past. Price Free-139$ Adventure Maker Eclipse MMO 2D Game Engine Author Says: Eclipse Has become the top of the 2D Gaming Industry. With its revolutionary Features, Great Support and Smooth Game play. With Eclipse you don't have to spend Hundreds of dollars on over - Priced Gaming Engines. Or Graphic Programs. You also don't have To spend many years making a Mmorpg. Instead with Eclipse you can create a unparalleled Mmorpg With no coding in just Minutes. If you find that the engine does not seem to have everything you need, Then just Code it in with are versatile Scripting System's. Also unlike other engines Eclipse is updated regularly. So any bugs that are found are fixed immediately. Price Free. 2D MMO Engine Thats all I got for right now. I'll update this thread if, and when I find other engines. Theres a lot out there. And I propably missed a very popular one. But these are all very good programs and languages to get you started. Thanks to eedok for the fix [Edited by - laugheazy on August 2, 2006 11:36:01 AM]

Sponsor:

#2 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:54 AM

Good job on the list, just one thing to note is this board uses html instead of bbcode for text formatting so your post should look something like this(hit the edit button on my post to see it):
Quote:

Hey everyone. I have went around and collected some information on game engines, and there ease of use. So that there could be one list. So let's begin. Out of all these, I own all of them besides 3 of em. So if you have any questions please give me a message or e mail. Im not an advanced Game Maker yet, but I get what I want on the screen..lol So here it is....

Torque Game Engine This particular engine was used to create the popular Tribes 2. You can make any type of game with this engine. It is very widley used, also contains built in editors, such as a terrain editor. Price 100$

Torque Game Builder This is what you can use to create 2D games. This is not the drag & drop type of builder, as you can also code using this engine. Whats better? Is that you can actually create games to be played on the XBOX 360! Price 100$ Torque Game Builder

Game Maker This is what I use. I'm no programmer, but this engine offers programmers the ability to create whatever code they would like. Its an easy to use, "drag & drop" interface. Which also allows for code + drag and drop. The learning curbve is very easy. Even your youngest fan can create a game in minutes. 2D & 3D Game creating is possible. Price 20$
Game Maker

Blitz Products Blitz is very popular among game developers, in its ease of use, and also its low price range. Blitz has a wide variety of products available. Including Blitz3D, BlitzBASIC, BlitzMAX, BlitzPLUS. The best part about these is they use the easy to understand BASIC language. Which makes it easier to learn. A strong and active community are also there to provide you with answers to your questions. Price 60-100$ Blitz Product Website

First Person Shooter Creator Ever wanted to make a First Person Shooter, but lacked the talent, and experience? This is for you. You wont create Half Life 3, or even Half Life 1, but you will impress your friends & family with this great, easy to use software. It has never been easier. Place levels, enemies, ammo, and more, and play your level, all in less then 5 minutes. Anyone can create a game with this. It dosent get any easier. Price 50$ FPSCreator

DarkBASIC & DarkBASIC Pro This is another game creating engine that deals with the BASIC language. DarkBASIC is still widley used, and PRO gives you options, such as ulitizing DirectX 9. Very affordable. Also available is very detailed books, on how to use these products. You will have to learn to program of course, but the amount of tutorials out there, and community, you'll be creating games in no time. Price 50-90$ The Game Creators

Realm Crafter Although its new at this point, almost every game creator has imagined creating a World Of Warcraft type game. And guess what? With some practice, I dont doubt you can be there with this cheap, but very good product. Its very easy to use, and even the beginner can begin to create games. But the advanced users can script away, using the BASIC language. Comes with everything you need to create a game! But you may also add your own materials! This is definitley worth a go. 55$ Realm Crafter

RPG MAKER XP Introducing RPG MAKER™ XP, the latest Windows entry in the RPG MAKER series that gives you the power to create your own original role-playing games. Its popular and highly user-friendly editor interface has been carried over from RPG MAKER 2000, and its graphic capabilities, battle screen layout, and data packaging features are better than ever. By popular demand, this latest installment also boasts a brand-new Scripting function. RPG MAKER XP is bound to satisfy beginners and experts alike. Price 60$ RPG MAKER XP

The 3D GameMaker This is for the absolute beginner. Who just wants to try something different. This almost takes no talent. This innovative package allows you to select from a variety of 3D characters, landscapes, enemies and power-ups. Everything from deep space battles to cartoon mayhem can be achieved with nothing more than clicks of your mouse. Price 34$ 3D GameMaker

Game Editor The author says: Game Editor is the game design software that gives you the power to create the games of your dreams, with little or no programming or technical knowledge required. Game Editor lets you design and develop 2D games for personal computers and mobile devices. No need to worry about system issues or compatibility, no need to do anything other than come up with the ideas! Game developing has never been easier! Price 15$ Game Editor

3D Game Studio The Author Says: he engine is the core of the development system - it generates the 3D image and controls the behavior of the virtual world. Due to its combined BSP-Tree and terrain renderer, GameStudio's engine handles indoor and outdoor sceneries equally well. Its lighting engine supports static and dynamic shadows cast from moving light sources. The threefold culling algorithm renders huge worlds extremely effectively even on old hardware. Programmers can use the plugins for adding new effects and features. The A6 engine is regularly updated in order to always support the hottest features of the newest 3D cards, like Shader Model 3.0. The current engine version is 6.40. Updates to new A6 engine versions are free. Price 50-899$ Game Studio

Adventure Maker Create Myst style games with ease. This has got to be one of the easiest game creating programs out there. However the features wont impress many. If you can create a myst clone, then you'll get a fan following, other then that, this may be something to look past. Price Free-139$ Adventure Maker

Eclipse MMO 2D Game Engine Author Says: Eclipse Has become the top of the 2D Gaming Industry. With its revolutionary Features, Great Support and Smooth Game play. With Eclipse you don't have to spend Hundreds of dollars on over - Priced Gaming Engines. Or Graphic Programs. You also don't have To spend many years making a Mmorpg. Instead with Eclipse you can create a unparalleled Mmorpg With no coding in just Minutes. If you find that the engine does not seem to have everything you need, Then just Code it in with are versatile Scripting System's. Also unlike other engines Eclipse is updated regularly. So any bugs that are found are fixed immediately. Price Free. 2D MMO Engine

Thats all I got for right now. I'll update this thread if, and when I find other engines. Theres a lot out there. And I propably missed a very popular one. But these are all very good programs to get you started. Thanks.

#3 laugheazy   Members   -  Reputation: 174

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:35 AM

thank you for that. My bad for not looking at the thread after I posted it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS