• Create Account

Forum Guidelines, Best Practices, Advice and FAQ (*updated 14/08/06*)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:52 AM

Content updated on 14th August 2006 Same URL as before. Changes: 1) I've linked up most of the document. You can now click on a heading in the Table of Contents and jump straight to the entry. 2) At circlesoft's request, I've added Gen #3: How to solve a problem yourself. 3) As mentioned by jamesw, I've added codesampler.com to the web resources section. 4) I've added D3D #24: A perfect Direct3D9 application structure (includes handling lost devices) based on WanMaster's suggestion. Known issues 1. Some formatting using HE_TERMINAL needs fixing 2. Still need to cross-link with SDK documentation 3. Splitting into multiple pages 4. Making a PDF version 5. Some D3D10/MDX stuff to work on Think that's it for now. Comments are appreciated.
Cheers, Jack [Edited by - jollyjeffers on August 14, 2006 9:53:58 AM]
<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Sponsor:

#2 circlesoft   Members   -  Reputation: 1174

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:40 AM

Wow, nice work. It looks tons better than the current one! Just a few things I noticed:

(1) For the code segments, you use that one font I sent you some time ago. What will happen if a user doesn't have this font on their machine?

(2) One of my biggest issues with the FAQ all along was that it was all one page. Ideally, it could at least be broken down into API for easy browsing. However, I suppose that as long as the table at the top is readable, it can work.

Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

#3 jamesw   Members   -  Reputation: 400

0Likes

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Very nice! I can see that you've put a lot of work into this, and it will help out a ton of people.

Codesampler.com should be listed under the tutorials section

Still reading...

#4 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
Wow, nice work. It looks tons better than the current one!
Thanks [grin]

Quote:
(1) For the code segments, you use that one font I sent you some time ago. What will happen if a user doesn't have this font on their machine?
They'll end up being wrapped in [source]...[/source] tags. What you're currently seeing is probably something to do with copy-n-pasting from VS to Word and then Word exporting to HTML [smile]

Quote:
(2) One of my biggest issues with the FAQ all along was that it was all one page. Ideally, it could at least be broken down into API for easy browsing. However, I suppose that as long as the table at the top is readable, it can work.
Agreed, I'd like to see it split into multiple pages but I'm limited by the forum software. The FAQ is, as far as I can tell, just a specially displayed forum post - I can't drop in any additional pages or formatting.

Quote:
Codesampler.com should be listed under the tutorials section
Okay, I'll get that one added when I next update it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

#5 circlesoft   Members   -  Reputation: 1174

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
The FAQ is, as far as I can tell, just a specially displayed forum post - I can't drop in any additional pages or formatting.

What if the index of the FAQ was the only thing on the forum FAQ page? Then all the links on that were to some external site, like your journal webspace or some other server. Then we could do all of the formatting and organization that we wanted.

#6 circlesoft   Members   -  Reputation: 1174

0Likes

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

It seems that we need to push the whole 'use the debug runtimes' thing a bit, as they can solve a lot of posts that we see here. You have enumerated very well how people should go about posting here, but I think it would be helpful to have an entry like:

HELP! I have a problem! What do I do?

(1) Use the debug runtimes!
(2) Use google!
(3) Use past posts!

We are saying this kind of thing a little bit right now (mixed into the Forum best practices section), but I think it may help to be a little more up front with it.

#7 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

Good job, very thorough explanation!
Perhaps the issue of lost devices and resources and the way to handle these situations deserve a section of their own?

By the way, I never knew the entire internet is hosted on your G: drive. [grin]

#8 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
What if the index of the FAQ was the only thing on the forum FAQ page? Then all the links on that were to some external site, like your journal webspace or some other server. Then we could do all of the formatting and organization that we wanted.
Yeah, that could work quite nicely actually. Might even be able to do some JScript magic to filter which languages are shown - e.g. show only MDX1.1 content...

Quote:
It seems that we need to push the whole 'use the debug runtimes' thing a bit, as they can solve a lot of posts that we see here.
Agreed, I'll see about pushing it up the list.

A whole FAQ entry including links to that classic "how to ask a question" article might be a good idea. I personally get a little tired of replying to threads with "we need more info" [smile]

Quote:
Perhaps the issue of lost devices and resources and the way to handle these situations deserve a section of their own?
I suppose an entry summarising the details of this would be useful. I was wanting to write out a pseudo-code "perfect D3D application" to show what things should be done where/when...

Quote:
By the way, I never knew the entire internet is hosted on your G: drive
Yeah, I managed to find a way of compressing the whole internet onto my 20gb partition. Pi compression is the way forward [grin]

Cheers,
Jack

#9 Spoonbender   Members   -  Reputation: 1254

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:37 PM

No clue how hard this would be for you to do, but hey, no harm in asking... [grin]
A PDF version (Of course properly made with index and links to each section and such) would be handy, if you've got an easy way to convert your current document.

#10 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

I'm pretty sure I could do a PDF version. I had a freebie Word->PDF "printer" a while back that seemed to do the trick. From what I understand the new Word 2007 beta's have this functionality as standard, so I could always use those.

Cheers,
Jack

#11 remigius   Members   -  Reputation: 1172

0Likes

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:19 AM

Word 2007 indeed has a 'Save as PDF' option, but you could also use CutePDF which works quite nicely (like some people who completely missed that option in Word 2007 :p).

I had a quick read through the FAQ and it looks good to me, though it could use some more info on math. A link to Tripplebuffer's great math primer in the 'What should I learn first?' section might be useful, following the book link.

Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

#12 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:55 AM

Refer to the first post in this thread for a new update!

Quote:
[i]Original post by remigius[i]
I had a quick read through the FAQ and it looks good to me, though it could use some more info on math. A link to Tripplebuffer's great math primer in the 'What should I learn first?' section might be useful, following the book link.
That's a good idea, I'll see about getting that included. Thanks for the suggestion [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

#13 sirob   Members   -  Reputation: 1180

0Likes

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:22 AM

A link to this cool poster of the entire D3D9 pipeline could come in handy [smile].

Also, in the diagram you added, in the handling of a lost device should be calling OnDeviceLost and OnDeviceReset on ID3DXSprites/ID3DXFonts [smile]. Other than that, it really is looking great -- I can't wait to see it completed and in-place.

Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.

#14 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
Original post by sirob
A link to this cool poster of the entire D3D9 pipeline could come in handy [smile].
Indeed - I'm surprised I forget about that one!

Quote:
Original post by sirob
in the handling of a lost device should be calling OnDeviceLost and OnDeviceReset on ID3DXSprites/ID3DXFonts [smile].
Whoops - I'll get that corrected ASAP.

Cheers,
Jack

#15 Tom   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 352

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:48 AM

I'm a little nit-picky about this sort of thing, but you might consider enlisting an editor. I noticed some grammatical errors. ("that you as the application developer has available" — should be "have." "as the application developer" is a clause and doesn't affect verb conjugation.)

Other than that, it looks great! I had a question about managed resource performance that I was planning to post until I found the answer in your FAQ. I'd say that makes it fairly complete.

#16 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Original post by Tom
I'm a little nit-picky about this sort of thing, but you might consider enlisting an editor. I noticed some grammatical errors. ("that you as the application developer has available" — should be "have." "as the application developer" is a clause and doesn't affect verb conjugation.)
Despite having English as my native language I still have to rely on Word's spelling/grammar tools [embarrass]

Quote:
Original post by Tom
Other than that, it looks great! I had a question about managed resource performance that I was planning to post until I found the answer in your FAQ. I'd say that makes it fairly complete.
Excellent, thanks!

Cheers,
Jack

#17 darkelf2k5   Members   -  Reputation: 286

0Likes

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

I also have a suggestion.
I see that the FAQ contains picking section. Now I presume the reason for that is because we have a "How do I do geometry picking?" thread every week in various topics. But we also have a "Help with D3DSprite/D3DXFont!" topic every week or so. This seems to be a menace for the new guys. Might be a good idea to consider a brief explanation. I think it's common.
If FAQ mentions it and I just missed it I apologize.

#18 gpalin   Members   -  Reputation: 164

0Likes

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

I'm not new to programming, but am to DirectX. I've done some reading on the web, and have gotten started with tutorials and such. But your FAQ was a really good read: it has a lot of detail in various areas of DirectX, some of which I had not read into before. A lot of sites and books listed there I'll have to take a look at. Good work!

I appreciated the pointer to the DirectX SDK samples and tutorials - I have started looking through those as well. Good stuff. I've got a starting point now, although I think it'll be a long time before I'm producing best-sellers!!
Grant Palin

#19 jollyjeffers   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1542

0Likes

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

Quote:
see that the FAQ contains picking section. Now I presume the reason for that is because we have a "How do I do geometry picking?" thread every week in various topics
Yeah, thats pretty much why it was added. I built the initial question list after crunching through a search of every topic started in 2006 [smile]

Quote:
But we also have a "Help with D3DSprite/D3DXFont!" topic every week or so
I agree that covering this could be useful. Sad truth is that I'm now even more limited for time and it could be a while before I get a chance to sit down and write about it.

If anyone would like to provide any information you'd like to see in a FAQ entry on sprites/fonts then feel free to post it here (or send me a PM).

Quote:
your FAQ was a really good read: it has a lot of detail in various areas of DirectX, some of which I had not read into before
Glad to hear you found it useful [grin]

Cheers,
Jack

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS