XNA Framework & Xbox 360 Details

Started by
71 comments, last by paulble 17 years, 8 months ago
Just thought I'd point to a press release from Microsoft doing the rounds. http://www.ausgamers.com/pressreleases/html/2459342 (I'm Australian hence the ausgamers) Anybody know of any more specific details? I checked letskilldave and he has yet to post anything. Looks promising, but I expect as always there will be comments about open source, proprietary software and good ol' fashion homebrew and piracy. Here's hoping more details come to light soon (well the release of the tools on the 30th would most definately do that :) ). Edit: What do you guys use here? html? bbcode? I only lurk... would like to make it a pretty hyperlink :)
-----------------------------Ben / LightAssassin
Advertisement
Quote:During his keynote presentation today at Gamefest 2006, a Microsoft(R) game developer event hosted by Microsoft in Seattle
I'm relaxing out here in Redmond and by my clock, it is 11 PM on Sunday night.

What gives?

As far as XNA itself, it's pretty much on par with what I suspected it would be (though I didn't have any insider knowledge on this one). I'm mainly curious about whether the $100 gets you access to a physical dev kit or what. Considering that's a quarter of retail price, I am kind of confused there. On the one hand, I can't imagine getting an actual dev kit that cheap. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you can test properly without one. A couple guys suggested that it might just give you publishing rights to XBLA, getting stuff up extremely fast (with a quick review cycle in between). That seems plausible, assuming XNA does its job well...although I'm still wondering how effectively you can leverage the 360 like that.
EDIT: Checked with a friend. No charcoal boxes involved.

I assume the real presentation tomorrow will clear things up. Either way, I'll sure be looking forward to August 30. Should be fun to migrate from the fledgling MDX 2.0 to the Real Deal.

[Edited by - Promit on August 14, 2006 1:53:28 AM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
That is... just strange. Being late afternoon in Australia I thought nothing of it. Maybe it was a press release released early... meant for tomorrows news.

Or it could be a dupe!

You take a left... you take a right... but there is no avoiding, The Scary Door.
-----------------------------Ben / LightAssassin
Gamasutra has this to say about it.

Quote:The games created with XNA Game Studio Express will not initially be available to regular Xbox 360 users, although there is hope that successful titles made with the package might go on to debut in enhanced form on the universal Xbox Live Arcade service, and a longer-term goal is to create a less restricted distribution market using Xbox Live.

Even so, it sounds interesting - i'll be curious to see how it unfolds.
It seems to have been an official press release, check out the details and pile of links over at Tom Miller's blog. Tom also posted a link to participate in the XNA Game Studio beta, so head over to his blog now!

Quote:Shh.. We can't tell anyone this yet

[oh] [grin]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Aaah, so its finally gone public [grin]

Some of the DX MVP's were informed about the GameFest keynote last week and it's been hard not to say anything (although superpig hinted at it in his journal I think [wink]). One hell of an interesting development.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/ is the new XNA developer page, XNA Game Studio Express/XNA Framework Announced in particular.

I don't have time to check the public details right now, but if anyone has any questions about this then I or one of the other DX MVP's may be able to clarify things a bit. I've got a couple of pages of notes from the aforementioned LiveMeeting. Then again, seems theres quite a big XNA specific FAQ available...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:
Q: What does XNA stand for?
A: XNA’s Not Acronymed
[grin]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

The thing that ruins it, which they didn't mention in the private LiveMeeting, is the $99/year subscription. That's to deploy to a 360, for development, debugging, or just playing. This limits your potential audience to anyone else who's willing to shell out $99/year. This will appeal to developers looking to make a demo to ship out to studios, which is certainly a giant step in the right direction. This won't appeal to the larger market, looking to just play indie games. These people could have put up with downloading some tools to play homebrew games, but having to pay a subscription to play homebrew games isn't likely going to be everyone's favourite idea.
Yeah, that subscription fee surprised me as well.

Although, as I hinted at in the meeting, I think the almost "open source" style distribution they were talking about was more prohibitive when it came to deploying. But Mitch Walker seemed to suggest they were working on changing/improving this in the future...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
The thing that ruins it, which they didn't mention in the private LiveMeeting, is the $99/year subscription. That's to deploy to a 360, for development, debugging, or just playing. This limits your potential audience to anyone else who's willing to shell out $99/year. This will appeal to developers looking to make a demo to ship out to studios, which is certainly a giant step in the right direction. This won't appeal to the larger market, looking to just play indie games. These people could have put up with downloading some tools to play homebrew games, but having to pay a subscription to play homebrew games isn't likely going to be everyone's favourite idea.

Actually, I like the fact that there's a subscription. You won't get just any ol' yahoo trying to make a game. It forces developers to hone their skills and come up with something viable and of quality. You practice on your PC (for free) and then you move up to the big-small time with XBLExpress. Makes sense in my opinion.

Another question. If you are paying $99 a year to develop for XBL, do you still have to pay $49 to be able to play your commercial games on XBL?

edit: fix credited to JJ.

[Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on August 14, 2006 9:25:10 AM]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement