• Create Account

"How I do make a game for [insert console]?" Finally, a positive answer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 outRider   Members   -  Reputation: 852

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

If you frequent the Consoles, PDAs, and Cell Phones forum you've seen them: people brimming with wide-eyed enthusiasm asking how to make software for all manner of consoles, then being shot down with a dose of harsh reality. Those days might be coming to an end. Microsoft To Enable User-Created Xbox 360 Games [Edit: now with an actual working link!] [lol]
Quote:
The details of the new tech are as follows: XNA Game Studio Express will be available for free to anyone with a Windows XP-based PC, and will provide them with what's described as "Microsoft's next-generation platform for game development." In addition, by joining a "creators club" for an annual subscription fee of $99, users will be able to build, test and share their games on Xbox 360, as well as access a wealth of materials to help speed the game development progress.
For just $99 you too can partake in the dirty and exclusive little secret we call console programming (with a cut-down dev kit, and only to find out that it's nothing special at all). I recall reading somewhere that Bill Gates was shown a modded Xbox running XBMC and all manner of other homebrew and responded with something like "How can we engage with this community?" rather than "Bring down the DMCA hammer and get these people off my box." I expect Nintendo and eventually Sony, once they sort out all their issues with the PS3, will offer similar avenues for amateur software, so start your MMORPGs planning early! [Edited by - outRider on August 14, 2006 3:27:22 PM]

Sponsor:

#2 maximAL   Members   -  Reputation: 229

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:32 AM

but coding on a PC-like platform with XNA is by no means as 1337 as register-fiddling in asm.

#3 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1959

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

Your link is blank ;)

#4 CloudNine   Members   -  Reputation: 224

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:17 AM

It's recursive now :)

#5 Gazillion   Members   -  Reputation: 483

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:20 AM

Here you go:
Clicky

#6 jfclavette   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:34 AM

Sweet, now what they need to do is have some staff moderate user submissions, rank them and put the best one on XBL Marketplace...

I've played with early builds of the XNA Framework when they released it with the source code to MechAssault, and like MS others developpers tools, it's excellent. Sony might allow homebrews (I doubt Nintendo will), but they certainly won't offer as streamlined an experience to the user. (hell, if we are to believe the rumors about the PS3 dev kits, even they professionnal suite is not so 'professionnal'). Cross-platform .NET PC/XBox development is also a big plus, if the express edition allows it.

I think MS have a killer with this on their hands.

#7 Nathan Handley   Members   -  Reputation: 792

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:28 AM

I doubt that Sony will jump on the ship if the PSP has been any indicator on their views of 'homebrew'.

#8 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:28 AM

Keeping in mind that most of the people we're shooting down are complete programming rookies who have never written Hello World, let alone a AAA console title... I don't think this will change most of the negative replies.

This is pretty nice. I can't wait until someone gets OpenGL running on the thing, as I don't much care for platform lock-in. I could definitely see running some indie Arcade titles in the future.

#9 meh   Members   -  Reputation: 379

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:52 AM

This will also be rather spiffy for teaching.

#10 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:08 AM

I think the Gamasutra article might be what the OP was trying to link to.

#11 nuvm   Members   -  Reputation: 326

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:14 AM

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
This is pretty nice. I can't wait until someone gets OpenGL running on the thing, as I don't much care for platform lock-in. I could definitely see running some indie Arcade titles in the future.
I suppose someone could create a wrapper version of Tao, but I don't really see the point.

#12 FroZtByte   Members   -  Reputation: 362

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Eventually, Microsoft plans to allow independent game makers to demo and sell their games on Xbox Live.

Sounds nice.

But check out the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: How exactly can I share my 360 game to other 360 users? Will my game only be available to people with the XNA “Creators Club” subscription? Will it be available to all 360 users that have an Xbox Live account?
A: There is currently no supported way to share binaries on the Xbox 360. Currently, there are four requirements that must be met in order to share a game targeting Xbox 360 which is developed with XNA Game Studio Express.

1. The individual you are planning to share the game with must be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club
2. The receiving user must have downloaded the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
3. The receiving user must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on their own development PC
4. The game project, including all source and content assets, must be shared with the receiving user. The receiving user then compiles and deploys the game to their Xbox 360.

Sounds less nice.

It'll be good for people wanting to start 360 development now, but hopefully they won't force huge fees on people who want to demo/sell.
If they were smart, they'd take a reasonable percentage of the sales.
It also makes you wonder what their policy on freeware will be.

Hopefully Microsoft can pull it off.

#13 King of Men   Members   -  Reputation: 391

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:26 AM

So, let me get this straight - Microsoft are actually doing something that's not evil?

Run for the hills! The end times are upon us!

#14 Salsa   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1146

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

Quote:
Original post by King of Men
So, let me get this straight - Microsoft are actually doing something that's not evil?

Run for the hills! The end times are upon us!

Sarcasm, I hope.
Kult House - Fresh Production Media

#15 outRider   Members   -  Reputation: 852

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

Sorry about the link, I posted it in a hurry before I left this morning. It was the Gamasutra news item Machaira linked to.

Quote:
Original post by maximAL
but coding on a PC-like platform with XNA is by no means as 1337 as register-fiddling in asm.

Maybe, but it's slowly becoming less common on consoles too, depending on the console, though partly because I/O-level hardware specs aren't given to developers as often anymore. I haven't played with XNA so I don't know how extensive it is.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Keeping in mind that most of the people we're shooting down are complete programming rookies who have never written Hello World, let alone a AAA console title... I don't think this will change most of the negative replies.

Of course, but at least we can dispatch them with a single link. Hopefully Microsoft will set up an extensive FAQ on the subject. [grin]

Quote:
Original post by FroZtByte
Sounds less nice.

It'll be good for people wanting to start 360 development now, but hopefully they won't force huge fees on people who want to demo/sell.
If they were smart, they'd take a reasonable percentage of the sales.
It also makes you wonder what their policy on freeware will be.

Hopefully Microsoft can pull it off.

In the Gamasutra item I think they mentioned something about having some of the content available on Live Arcade or whatever it's called, probably for quality control reasons and security reasons.

#16 Marmin   Members   -  Reputation: 523

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

here is the FAQ.

#17 giveblood   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

This is a very good move for Microsoft. I will buy a 360 just for this and, of course, spend the money on whatever kinds of subscriptions I have to get. Now that more and more people are going to have experience developing for the 360, the games coming out for it will make the PS3 useless.

From XNA FAQ

Quote:

Q: What does XNA stand for?
A: XNA’s Not Acronymed

-Chris

#18 Conner McCloud   Members   -  Reputation: 1135

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

Quote:
Original post by giveblood
This is a very good move for Microsoft. I will buy a 360 just for this and, of course, spend the money on whatever kinds of subscriptions I have to get. Now that more and more people are going to have experience developing for the 360, the games coming out for it will make the PS3 useless.

From XNA FAQ

Quote:

Q: What does XNA stand for?
A: XNA’s Not Acronymed

I hate stupid recursive acronyms, but this one I'll let slide [grin]

CM

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS