Windows XP

Started by
514 comments, last by Facehat 22 years, 3 months ago
I really have to ask this question: What does everyone have against Windows XP? Sure you are forced to register the product but so what? I''d like to hear what people think... Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
Advertisement
Well, I feel that the level of security that Microsoft, and anyone who follows its lead, is going to intrude upon my work and privacy. I reformat my machine fairly often (it is home built, by me), so I have to be able to do as I wish to it. I don''t want to have to talk to Microsoft and ask them for permission to install the product.

I also don''t like to power that WinXP''s introduction of .NET will bring. Microsoft is determined to "rent" you its software. Eventually, for Office you''ll have to pay a monthly fee to use it, or it will be taken away from you.

Microsoft is also dramitically raising the usage of system resources (ram, video memory) with Windows XP, so that my system will have a harder time running programs besides Windows itself. Also (this is a personal issue), I feel that Microsoft is directing their product at the idiots of the World. The people that can''t tell you want BIOS stands for, or how to make a boot disk for DOS. There will be a Helper Wizard in Windows XP. You know that paper clip in Office? Well his cousin "Merlin" will control XP for you.

Also, it looks more like MacOS, I dislike MacOS a lot. This isn''t nescessarily a good or bad thing though, since some people like MacOS...

BTW: Look at my sig. .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
I don''t know anything about XP, but I''ll certainly agree with Null and Void. I need to rebuild my machine, which I have a recovery disk for it, but I can''t find that little certificate that you are suppose to enter a number from thanks to Microsoft. So I call the manufacturer. They tell me that Microsoft controls that and I need to call them for that problem. So I call Microsoft. They tell me I have to purchase a new copy of Windows 98 because when I lost the certificate my copy of Windows 98 went from being legal and valid to pirated. I tell them I haven''t rebuilt the machine yet and Windows 98 is up and running. Couldn''t they just tell me where the number is stored so I can use the same number I originally used. They tell me I need to uninstall it because it is illegal to run it with out that crappy little piece of paper. So I''m browsing through the registry while talking to them and ask if this \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId and ProductKey are the values I need. Oh, no sir, that isn''t it. No, I think that is it and I''ll use it. Oh, no sir, if you do that you will be breaking the law. FU Microsoft, you have no room to be talking about breaking the law.

I have nothing against companies trying to protect themselves from piracy, but something stinks with Microsoft. It seems to me their goal isn''t to protect themselves from piracy, but rather to milk valid, licensed users for more money. They know a large number of those things will be lost. I would bet anything they are counting on that happening. I guess if you can''t stop the pirates then just hassle and rip off the legal users instead.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
MacOs ruled cuz if you had a little knowledge how the system worked you could change every part of it to our needs while having full control and ease of use, that certainly won''t happen in XP since wizzards don''t exactly make something easier they just slow you down but unfortunatly i had to switch to and i liked it to i had much more control of what going this fucking bloated interface just is shit but hey i think i can use osx on a pc too...
Umm, What dose BIOS stand for?
Hmmm, Why is it always so hard.
There''s a way around the whole registrating-security-thing. I heard it on the radio, that there''s a way someone figured out just to by pass it, which at least works on the betas.

I wonder if Windows will complain if I reformat my other partitions? Or perhaps even my ext2 partitions? Or if I fiddle around with it with parted (or Partition Magic or whatever)?

"This album was written, recorded and edited at Gröndal, Stockholm in the year of 2000. At this point in time money still ruled the world. Capitalistic thoughts were wide spread. From the sky filled with the fumes of a billionarie''s cigar to the deepest abyss drenched in nuclear waste. A rich kid was a happy kid, oh..dirty, filthy times. Let this be a reminder."
- Fireside, taken from back of the Elite album
Bogus Is Our System ? :o) *LOL*

no... Basic Input / Output System

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
quote:Original post by Akiera

Umm, What dose BIOS stand for?

quote:Original post by Null and Void
I feel that Microsoft is directing their product at the idiots of the World. The people that can''t tell you want BIOS stands for

omg...
If you guys hate microsoft so much and cant stand using their products. Why dont you just not use them. Microsoft in way says that (insert your name here) has to use their products. Why not use linux or some other OS. If your take your mind off microsoft for a min then you can actually find out that their are a lot of other OSes.

Stop complaining! microsoft is not going to change because a few(thousands of people are a few compared to the total number of users) people dont like it
boot disks in dos, man those were the days. the old 286. things were so much more fun back then. i remember having to make a boot disk for every game that came out. but i didnt mind, because the games were so much fun, and they actually worked. i dont think i ever even used windows for anything back then. i had it and knew how, but everything good was for dos. remember memmaker, and how good it was. sorry im babbling, i just miss those days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement