[java] Java 2D RPG tutorials?Sample codes?

Started by
3 comments, last by Eleftherios 17 years, 7 months ago
Hello all. I am new to this forum.I know java ... but might need to re-study some of it since I was inactive for more than 5 months :( We have started a project lately with some friends to make a 2D RPG.Something simple at start and later we might turn it into something more complicated.I have read the coke and code tutorials for the space invaders.A little more advanced tutorial anywhere?Any sample 2D RPG sourcecode in java I can look into? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Hello dude,

I strongly advise you to try something simpler first, specially if you're kind of "fresh" on java. RPGs are famous for their complexity, they involve several aspects of game programming all in one project, such as AI and Scripting. Designing a RPG is quite fun, I understand, but I suggest you to try, for example, a 2D platform scroller game first. Why? it will teach you good things about Java and Java2D that you will be able to use in your future RPG, and, you'll be able to learn a bit of game programming related issues, which are a of language choice.

But if you insist to go for RPGs... Most of the concepts involved into creating these games do not change based on language choice. Specially old-school isometric 2D RPGs! That means you can dig on some C tutorials for information, their concepts will be quite valid in Java as well - the only fundamental differences laying on rendering API and resource management, due to obvious reasons.

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Hey , I forgot to mention that I had done a small 2levels platform 2D scroller.The thing is I did it just in order to jump later to this 2D RPG.I must admit though that I stopped for 5 months.Completely.So I am bound to be rusty now.Still some tutorials or sample code of a 2D RPG would help a lot.So thanks for the tips.

Still some links would be more than welcome though :D
Hi,

You could use GTGE as a game engine, for example. It is built on top of Java 2D, has good performance and a lot of useful helper classes to get you started.

As for the RPG techniques, I'm sure there are a lot of useful tutorials and articles here on gamedev. Also, I recommend you take a look at this guy's web page: it has quite good information relevant to the task you're undertaking.

Other than that, you can perform a well narrowed google search for each topic involved to RPG programming.
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Thanks you very much son Of cain!I really appreciate the links you gave me.Time to study now then.A very big thanks goes out to you :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement