• Create Account

Genetically engineering a permanent kitten

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:36 AM

Those of you who really like kittens but don't want them to grow up should take a look at this guy's tinkering. It appears deceptively simple to screw around with the genetics of cats. Is anyone here a semi-competent biologist to tell me why somebody shouldn't do this? [Edited by - Ravuya on September 26, 2006 10:24:54 PM]

Sponsor:

#2 cloudscapes   Members   -  Reputation: 190

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:42 AM

Although it's interesting progress in the realm of genetics, I'm against this particular use.

The "permakittens" would have trouble living in the city. Cat fights happen all the time and if you stunt their physical growth, you'd end up with a consecutive loser. Although genetics might be able to give these widdle bundles of joy wolverine-like claws for extra defence!

Unless you're the type that keeps their cats indoors all the time, it's definatelly not a good idea.

#3 AnonymousPosterChild   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:43 AM

Quote:
Original post by cloudscapes
Although it's interesting progress in the realm of genetics, I'm against this particular use.

The "permakittens" would have trouble living in the city. Cat fights happen all the time and if you stunt their physical growth, you'd end up with a consecutive loser.

Unless you're the type that keeps their cats indoors all the time, it's definatelly not a good idea.

Thats required by law here now :P We have a serious cat problem outdoors.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild

#4 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

I would prefer to modify their ADN to make them be "inside-out". That way they would look actually cute...

If we can make them perma-kitten, what is going to stop us from making anything we want to them? I guess nothing.

#5 win_crook   Members   -  Reputation: 171

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

This is sick.... Nobody should be allowed to mess with nature

#6 su   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

mistreating something harmless and defenseless is wrong and sick. same goes for dogs etc. do not kick them around because they are not fighting back, try kicking me around when you see me in the street for a change, that should be more fun and an interactive experience.

Quote:
Original post by owl
I would prefer to modify their ADN to make them be "inside-out". That way they would look actually cute...

If we can make them perma-kitten, what is going to stop us from making anything we want to them? I guess nothing.

#7 Kwizatz   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1200

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
Original post by su
mistreating something harmless and defenseless is wrong and sick. same goes for dogs etc. do not kick them around because they are not fighting back, try kicking me around when you see me in the street for a change, that should be more fun and an interactive experience.

If you start to yell at me for no reason and try to bite my calf, I will.

#8 Riviera Kid   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

everything diserves to grow and develope.

At a guess I think the cats would go mad if kept in 'kitten' form.

#9 AndreTheGiant   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Original post by cloudscapes

The "permakittens" would have trouble living in the city. Cat fights happen all the time and if you stunt their physical growth, you'd end up with a consecutive loser. Although genetics might be able to give these widdle bundles of joy wolverine-like claws for extra defence!

While there are probably 100 valid reasons for not engineering a permakitten, I dont think this is one of them. Thats just stupid. No matter what pet you have, there is probably a bigger/stronger animal out there that could kick its ass if you dont watch over it carefully.

#10 kryat   Members   -  Reputation: 685

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

they want a stuffed toy, not a living breathing creature.

#11 su   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:
Original post by su

If you start to yell at me for no reason and try to bite my calf, I will.

you are right on that, and thank you for pointing that out :) this is self defense and is entirely different than kicking a sleeping puppy sleeping on the sideway. Thanks for the point.

#12 Michalson   Members   -  Reputation: 1657

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:46 AM

Someone already mentioned it in the linked items thread, but the first thing I thought after seeing that this revolved around intentionally introducing dwarfism was that was a horrible way of ensuring it had major health problems.

Being a dwarf is not a medically sound condition. Take a look at dwarfism in humans sometime - the social challenges dwarfs/midgets face pales in comparison to the medical problems created by their condition - mostly in relation to the proper formation of bones and joints (basically their spines and joints are screwed up beyond belief), but they also sometimes suffer from problems in relation to their lungs and heart.

Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.

#13 AnonymousPosterChild   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

Quote:
Original post by Michalson
It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.

I've got a really sharp knife we can use! Lets do this!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild

#14 LessBread   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1411

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:01 AM

I don't think this guy has put much thought into what it is about kittens that makes people love them. I don't think it's because they are small, I think it's because they are curious and playful - qualities that eventually they will grow out of even if their bodies don't grow. It's probably too much to ask this guy to get his head examined, so in the meantime, let's call him Dr. Frankenstein and his fantasy abmoninations, Frankenkitties.

Here's a somewhat related story: US company offers hypo-allergenic cats

Quote:

Los Angeles- An American company on Monday began offering what it touted as the world's first hypo-allergenic cats - felines specially bred without the specific gene protein that causes allergies in sensitive humans. The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.

The animals were developed by scientists at the San Diego-based company Allerca using natural breeding techniques. According to company spokesman Stephen May, scientists identified the protein "Fel d1" as the cause of allergies and then found a female with extremely low levels of the protein to start its breeding programme.

#15 AndreTheGiant   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

Quote:
Original post by LessBread
I don't think this guy has put much thought into what it is about kittens that makes people love them. I don't think it's because they are small, I think it's because they are curious and playful - qualities that eventually they will grow out of even if their bodies don't grow. It's probably too much to ask this guy to get his head examined, so in the meantime, let's call him Dr. Frankenstein and his fantasy abmoninations, Frankenkitties.

I think your right. Yes baby cats look a hell of a lot cuter, but I think your absolutely right in that a lot of the fun is because they are curious and have energy.

Which is why the current solution to boring old cats is 'catnip' - the cat equivalent of crack.

So keeping your cat drugged up is obviously superior to genetically altering them to be small.

Or is it?

#16 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
So keeping your cat drugged up is obviously superior to genetically altering them to be small.

Or is it?

Depends. How much are these mini cats?

#17 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
Original post by Michalson
Intentionally inflicting that kind of condition on animals for the infantile pleasure of some people who don't want their cat to grow up is sick. It would be like saying cats with no arms and legs look like cute furballs, so lets go cut up some cats to make them.

A lot of pure breed dogs are more disposed to genetic problems due to inbreeding. Should people be allowed to breed thouroughbred dogs then since it increases the risk of health problems? Aren't these just two different degrees of genetic manipulation?

#18 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21135

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

Quote:

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.

#19 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21135

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
Which is why the current solution to boring old cats is 'catnip' - the cat equivalent of crack.

Even better than crack because it is non-addictive and has no negative effects to their health or your wallet.

#20 LessBread   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1411

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Original post by frob
Quote:

How much for a hyper-allergenic cat?

Several of my relatives have cat allergies, and it might help keep them away.

The cats cost some 4,000 US dollars and can be ordered over the Internet for delivery in early 2007.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS