• Create Account

Getting started: Where can I find C-sources? Which compiler? (win98)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alec   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 November 1999 - 03:36 PM

I have experience in programming, and I'm even studying for a degree in computer science. Now that I would like to pick up where I left in game programming (in the old Atari days), I'm facing this MS monster.. Windows and DirectX.

All I need is a ready-made program (in C), that initializes a full screen window (in win98), and a few functions to draw pixels on it. Is that too much to ask? The rest I can figure out myself. Or if I can't, I'll post another question, but now, I just want to get this thing started! Can you please help me, people?

Thanks in advance,

-Alec-

And hey, a free C-compiler would be nice. Which one do you recommend? (and where can I get it?)

Sponsor:

#2 Gromit   Members   -  Reputation: 144

Posted 23 November 1999 - 05:21 AM

Well, The best place to start would be to download the directx sdk from microsoft. It comes with a lot more examples then just ploting a few pixels on the screen. I would assume that you know thier address?

If it is not there anymore, then I can't really help you anymore then to say to get it. There are some websites that allow you to download it, but I don't know which ones. I'm sure that someone here will tell you.

Good luck.

#3 Alec   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 November 1999 - 06:10 AM

Thanks, Wallace.. ehh.. I mean Gromit, I'm dling DirectX 7.0 SDK right now. It's kinda huge. Maybe I am getting started here.

But what about the C-compiler? Opinions, anyone?

-Alec-

#4 Strabbi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 November 1999 - 07:07 AM

Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition

It's not free, but pretty close. I've been told that it comes with some of the DirectX programming books out there.

#5 rperkins   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 November 1999 - 07:26 AM

If you can let go of $68 for a few weeks, BUY.COM has MS Visual C++ 6.0 Standard for $68 but you get a mail in rebate for $50. Not a bad deal for $18 (plus shipping, of course).

#6 Alec   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 November 1999 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for your posts, Strabbi & rperkins.

But isn't there anything else out there but the Official MS Product™? I've heard there are free ones, too.

-Alec-

(46Mb downloaded...)

#7 Splat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 November 1999 - 10:07 AM

To deal with the MS "monster" you would be much better off with Visual C++. Free software, like DJGPP, while good, doesn't compare to the nice IDE of Visual C++. Add to that the fact that DirectX is geared towards Visual C++ in several ways, and you really need it.

- Splat

#8 Melo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 November 1999 - 03:20 AM

WATCOM can be a good compiler for DX-programs, too. But the ugly IDE really s....

#9 Xai   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1328

Posted 25 November 1999 - 01:02 AM

Alec, if you are a student the PROFESSIONAL versions of Borland C++ Builder 4 and MS Visual C++ 6 are EACH $99. BUY ONE OF THEM...they are the best currently availible for Windows / DirectX Development...i own both and a few others to boot. DO NOT BUY the learning or introductory edition of anything....if you did...return it and upgrade. If you don't have a school book store that will order the software for you....look online for student pricing...just go to microsoft or inprise's web sites.
The free compiler's don't cut it for windows ;for dos...yes...or even if you want to do cross platform development...but they lack the extra help you get from Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder.
One word of caution: Borland Builder is great...but it hides the traditional compiler behind it's RAD development tools, so expect to spend a few hours learning how to make NORMAL (not component based) programs with it...but once you learn...it's just as good (maybe better)....I use Visual C++ 6 at work...and since all SDK's are developed with/for it...it's easy

#10 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 November 1999 - 03:36 PM

Hey dont put down DJGPP.(hehe), if yo want to make MS games in Windoz you need a(or the only good) MS product,get MSV++ 6.0 Standered

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS